Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So this weekend I had me a 700 mile roundtrip on new to me bike.
Camped in my tent overnight and it rained, a lot.

In the morning the bike didn't want to start. Strong crank just kept cranking forever multiple attempts. Probably took a minute total before it finally started the engine.

So my question is why? My VTX fires right up sitting in the rain so something is odd about this Vic.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
My first guess would be, if it rained hard, that the spark plug recesses filled with water. Its always a WISE thing to pack a waterproof cover for the bike, if for no other reason than security.
Remind me not to go on camping rides with you. :)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did not consider that. They are exposed more than my other bike. If that is really the reason it seems a design flaw.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
Did not consider that. They are exposed more than my other bike. If that is really the reason it seems a design flaw.
The plugs are where they are supposed to be for optimum performance - the engineers did their job well in that department. You job is to recognize what would happen if it rains on your bike. I've had bikes that would suffer much worse in a heavy rain, but a cover always gets packed and used, just as I always pack rain gear, even in a drought. Ya never know.:frown

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
So would a dab of dielectric on the plug boots to plug seal them up and not allow the moisture to be such a problem? So far I aint had any issue in the rain, and believe me if there is a 10% chance of rain it will find me.

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
Yeah Ive never had a problem in 137,000 kms of the last 4 years, I ride in anything and leave the bike uncovered, if there is any shelter then naturally I use it.
Just looking at my Vegas right now it would have to be really hard driving rain belting into the riders left side of the bike to fill the plug recesses...
My KwakaGPZ900R always filled the riders left plug hole if left it even light rain.
The design of thier tank capilliaries the water along and down straight into the plug hole...
Thankfully theyll still run on the 3 remaining cylinders to get to a source of conpressed air to blow them out.
Its a motorcycle, when it rains it gets wet, we get wet, a fact of life.
Our chinese wiring harnesses as well as the connectors and switchblocks can be susceptible to water ingress in really heavy rain or if you are the type who regularly wash your bike with a pressure hose or even worse a pressure washer then youll get problems.
Ive sealed all my accessible connections with di electric grease as prevetative majntenance taking care to not get it on the metal contacts.
Personally I think its a little cruel to leave a Victory out in the rain while Im snug inside and warm.
Sometimes ya gotta though so try to minimise water ingress.
Or go back to the VTR was it?
No sorry VTX.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rain happens. It's a bit ridiculous that any motorcycle would have issues with water. I was just trying to determine a cause. I'll look at the "Chinese wiring harness"

The ride home was in heavy rain and everything was fine it was just a weird issue getting going.

·
Registered
2,308 Posts
Something else is going on with your bike IMO. I ride in the rain more than I want to and have left my XR sitting out for days in the rain when I go on week long trips with no problems. I would go over your plug wires for cracks or a bad boot then work your way around the rest of the electrical system.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something else is going on with your bike IMO. I ride in the rain more than I want to and have left my XR sitting out for days in the rain when I go on week long trips with no problems. I would go over your plug wires for cracks or a bad boot then work your way around the rest of the electrical system.
Yes I thought it was really odd.
We had multiple brands there metics and Harley too all of us out in the rain overnight and only I had issues.
It did start and run fine just cranking much longer than I would like on the start. Scared me a bit.
Fuel pump was making sound, fairing all on, everything seemed right.

I did find an old thread 8 years ago someone took a garden hose and soaked everything several minutes one area at a time all over bike checking operation and starting after each area. I might need to do that to isolate it.

I'm not sure what all is involved in the start up but obviously kill switch and start button good and it was turning starter.
Spark plugs on the left side of engine seems very unlikely to be an issue in light rain but I'll definitely look at that too.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Agreed. A lot of rain shouldn't be a big deal. I just sold a running XC with 121k miles on it that never had issues running or starting even in the worst of rain - and I've never gone out of my way to find shelter for it when it wasn't in my garage.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Agreed. A lot of rain shouldn't be a big deal. I just sold a running XC with 121k miles on it that never had issues running or starting even in the worst of rain - and I've never gone out of my way to find shelter for it when it wasn't in my garage.
Thanks. Glad I'm not the only one who isn't scared of a little rain.
Hoping this is a one time event but it does confuse me. Unless it happens again it is hard to find the true cause.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I have to avoid riding in rain. I'm so sweet I will melt. :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts