Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am I the only one who actually carries a bottle of motorcycle spray detailer and a microfiber cloth wherever I ride, even to work ? Is this practice normal ?:crzy:

·
Registered
634 Posts
It's a good practice. Bugs and bird droppings will eat the soft clear coat quickly.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Am I the only one who actually carries a bottle of motorcycle spray detailer and a microfiber cloth wherever I ride, even to work ? Is this practice normal ?:crzy:
yes, and no.:)

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmmmmm , not quite sure what to make of some of these answers....wac

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
...you guys clean your bikes?!

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
...you guys clean your bikes?!
^^^This^^^

I have my wife do mine as payment for letting her ride with me. :D

Oh, and I just received the deed for the Brooklyn bridge and am putting it up for sale if'n anybody is interested!

·
Registered
851 Posts
^^^This^^^

I have my wife do mine as payment for letting her ride with me. :D

Oh, and I just received the deed for the Brooklyn bridge and am putting it up for sale if'n anybody is interested!
I'll trade you straight up for the deed to some beautiful beach front property I bought in Kansas!

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I carry a ziplock freezer bag with 2 microfiber towels wet with Maguire's Ultimate quick detailer and 2 dry microfiber towels. Wet in one hand dry in the other... wax-on--wax-off. Takes up very little room in the saddlebag. On a trip I get up early and wipe the bike down before I take my shower. I clean my glasses with it too, bugs don't stick.

Yes, OCD. I will not ride a dirty bike. The guys make fun of me, then they want to borrow my cleaning supplies...

·
Registered
2,407 Posts
I like to keep my XR clean but between the bugs, rain, dirt/gravel roads I would be cleaning more than riding. I am trying to wash it off and detail once every few weeks when I get time.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
I carry a ziplock freezer bag with 2 microfiber towels wet with Maguire's Ultimate quick detailer and 2 dry microfiber towels. Wet in one hand dry in the other... wax-on--wax-off. Takes up very little room in the saddlebag. On a trip I get up early and wipe the bike down before I take my shower. I clean my glasses with it too, bugs don't stick.

Yes, OCD. I will not ride a dirty bike. The guys make fun of me, then they want to borrow my cleaning supplies...
I just wanna borrow your bike, but I'm skeered of it.

·
Registered
124 Posts
I try to keep it clean but there is always some bugs and grime on it. I don’t have time to clean it every time I park it, just not particle for me and the amount I ride.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I've washed mine at least once this year.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, OCD. I will not ride a dirty bike. The guys make fun of me, then they want to borrow my cleaning supplies...[/QUOTE]

Haha right, I knew it !

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I just wanna borrow your bike, but I'm skeered of it.
Craig, I'm tellin' ya, it drives just like yours. If you rode it normally you'd never know it wasn't stock. You can ride it any time you want.

The biggest issue will be that it's set up for me... at 5'-9". You being 6'-6" will be a bigger obstacle than the extra power.

Gimme a buzz today if you get a minute...

·
Registered
51 Posts
Oh no.... I must be 2X OCD. I carry a small bottle of Invisible Glass and Showtime detailer in my bags along with microfiber towels. I can't stand looking through a dirty windshield and it only takes a few minutes to wipe the whole bike down. Had my last bike for 5 years and this process allows me to wash it once a year... :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I would probably be that OCD for quick clean-ups on a trip, but I'm so OCD I haven't come around to the idea of wiping (actually touching) paint that has dirt on it, without a bunch of water, for fear of just scratching the paint at the atomic level with dirt molecules. :ltr:

Now what I would love to find is a matte paint friendly spray-on protectant for the High-Ball that isn't some $100 item in a little eye-dropper. With that, just a quick spray at a car wash would eliminate the need for "detailing" as the dirt would come off the protectant layer easier. I haven't even touched mine yet with a towel except underneath, as I just spray it with S100, rinse off and she's done. That stuff is the bomb.

Hmm.. Maybe something like this: http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical_Guys_SPI_995_16_Meticulous_Matte_Detail_p/spi_995_16.htm

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
Oh no.... I must be 2X OCD. I carry a small bottle of Invisible Glass and Showtime detailer in my bags along with microfiber towels... snip... it only takes a few minutes to wipe the whole bike down. Had my last bike for 5 years and this process allows me to wash it once a year...
I would probably be that OCD for quick clean-ups on a trip, but I'm so OCD I haven't come around to the idea of wiping (actually touching) paint that has dirt on it, without a bunch of water, for fear of just scratching the paint at the atomic level with dirt molecules. :ltr:
Well... Had the bike 6 years now. I washed it with a hose/water 3 times. I'm so anal I detail the bike to the point where the backs of the calipers and rotors are clean so the bike always looks new. I really spend very little time cleaning the bike. The old black paint showed no swirls/scratches at all from the use of spray detailers... and they leave the bike slick so bugs don't stick, they just wipe right off. Really, unless I ride in the rain, the bike doesn't get all that dirty so a wipe down is quick and easy. If you keep it clean you only have to really detail it every 2-3 weeks. That process takes me an hour and a half... but wipe-downs in between are a 10 minute thing. I check the tire pressure, check the lighting, and wipe her down real quick before I leave the house for a ride.

For detailing parts like the rotors and rear pulley and getting the exhaust funk off the rear fender... Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. Get one wet and it will wipe away brake dust and exhaust funk in one pass.

I'm not just anal about cleaning, I'm anal about maintenance too. I just replaced the tires, the wheel bearings & dust seals, the brake pads, all the rubber grommets/clips that hold the side overs and cheese wedges on, cleaned the air filters, and greased the clutch and throttle. I'm leaving on a 4 day trip and everything has to be bink and bink perfect... It's a disease, I tell ya!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I hear ya. I can relate. I have about a once/week 30 minute S100 ritual to try to avoid the full detail if I can help it. I've already lamented about some black ick on the left side of the rear tire white-wall.. Simple green solution sprayed directly seemed to get most but I'll have to take a scrubby to it I guess and actually do some work.

I did find some white crap (I guess S100 residue I think/hope) that spewed on the bike the first ride after washing it (yay) that was from the spark plug areas. I guess I got spray in there that I didn't get out as I try to be conservative with the hose without a lot of pressure. I just missed it. Self inflicted lesson, to go with my poor execution of reinserting the drain plug which is too shameful to mention and I know all will say "well [email protected]#$ that's what you get" and rightfully so.

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
I did find some white crap (I guess S100 residue I think/hope) that spewed on the bike the first ride after washing it (yay) that was from the spark plug areas.
The one and only time I used S-100 I found the dreaded white residue in several nooks and crannies...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts