Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to lesson the weight on the bike. looking for 2 into 1 exhaust,round bar engine guards etc. will be removing the passenger pegs,forged engine guards. Ideas.

·
Premium Member
8,938 Posts
an old trick is to drill lots of holes in things, just don't weaken essential parts.

·
13,172 Posts
forged bars are cool. making it lighter is not going to change anything.
there was a guy on FB that gutted his ovals and wow what a good sound. say what about pipes like this

Attachments

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
Why???????

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no drilling allowed on my bike.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i did remove the baffs and didnt like the sound for cruseing town. i dont want super loud pipes.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
less weight to carry means better mileage. am planning long rides for the up coming season.

·
Premium Member
425 Posts
less weight to carry means better mileage. am planning long rides for the up coming season.
I think you're going about this wrong. That bike will go further than you will. You should probably be adding accessories to make yourself more comfortable, so that you can last as long as the bike will go between necessary gas stops, if that's what's important to you.

If you really want to decrease weight, try these:
- remove the radio, speakers and antenna.
- Remove all floorboards and replace the front ones with minimalist pegs
- Remove the seat and replace it with a small piece of cardboard and some foam rubber, covering the front part only. Tape a trash bag over the rear part for water resistance.
- Remove the handgrips.
- Remove the front fender; the rear fender has some electrical items under it, so cut off as much of the rear fender as you can.
- remove the three chin pieces -- front and both sides.
- Remove the windshield and simply duck down behind the fairing.
- Since you're ducking down there anyway, replace the handlebars with lightweight, short drag bars.
- Most of all, cut down on carbohydrates.

As for me, when I did a 5300 mile trip to California and back, I had added a back rest, luggage rack on the trunk ( I have the cross country tour ), foot rests attached to the floorboards, an air horn, driving lights, MadStad adjustable windshield, larger brake- and shift-pegs, heel Shifter and probably more. I also sampled the local food and ate whatever was interesting, so I probably gained a few pounds. I rode 140 miles between gas stops most of the time. That was when the fuel indicator got down to one half tank. Most riding days were about 600 miles because I was in a hurry to get to my destination. I wish I had the time to wander freely. Average fuel efficiency was 44mpg.

Ride your own ride, but I suggest adding accessories for comfort and safety, rather then skimping to save one or 2 miles per gallon.

Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
i think if i wanted to get great mileage on a bike I would have gotten a scooter.:ltr:

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
@psychodiablo ...I've got to agree, you're kind of barking up the wrong tree. I don't see how enough weight could be shaved off the an X-bike to make any real difference in fuel mileage. An X-bike's bulk is in the engine\tranny so there nothing you can do there. The frame and swing arm are aluminium and as light weight as can already be. The only place you could possibly shave weight is going to some type of light weight rims...That would be custom work and HUGE bucks, so not really a way to save money in the long run ;)

·
13,172 Posts
ATS wheel will help save gas.
so your not going to pack clothes or jacket.
I don't care if take 200 pounds off the bike your still going to stop every 180 miles or push it

·
Registered
471 Posts
I suspect a PCV could be tuned to squeak another 1-2 mpgs. That's maybe 10 miles on a tank. I wonder if anybody calculated if there was an mpg change with the Madstad bracket

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
I build this, and it saves the weight...

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
So why does a Vision have the same kilometers per litre then a Jackpot? So it seems weight has almost no influence on these bikes, all engines are the same so run the same MPG

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
So why does a Vision have the same kilometers per litre then a Jackpot? So it seems weight has almost no influence on these bikes, all engines are the same so run the same MPG

Andre
TaPaTaLk
Doesn't a Jackpot have a steel frame? Vision has the aluminum frame. That could be the difference.

·
Premium Member
6,192 Posts
Doesn't a Jackpot have a steel frame? Vision has the aluminum frame. That could be the difference.
The Vision bike is 40 kilo heavier then the Jackpot, but the Km/Liter is the same....

If I look at my steel tube frame of the Jackpot and then look at my CCT frame it shouldn't be much of a difference in weight

Steel frames are so small compared to the bulky alumenium

Edit; when I stand still on my Jackpot she feels soooo much lighter then my CCT, must be the center of gravity?

Andre
TaPaTaLk

·
Premium Member
1,825 Posts
It won't matter if I am on either bike. They are hauling a lot of weight! Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
very few cloths etc.