Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife was in the kitchen today and said they she could smell something burning.....

We went into the garage and it was full of smoke and smelt like an electrical fire. Since she just bought a new car last week I thought that it was the culprit. Lifted the bonnet up and nothing.

My 2010 Ness jackpot is in the corner of the garage sitting under a bike cover. I though I'd check it out just to make sure it wasn't the bike.

Holy ****!!!!! As soon as I lifted the cover off I could see a huge amount of smoke. I ran to my shed and got a fire extinguisher and came back. The smoke was coming from the front of the bike and I gave it a couple of blasts. Still smoking and a few small flames. I then disconnected the battery terminal and gave it another hit.

It stopped smoking. After getting it out of the garage I had a better look at it and it seems that the voltage regulator has caused the problem. All the wires behind it are burnt and the plastic cover of another wiring loom and burnt to.

It's got me stuffed if I know how it started. I rode the bike 6 days before without any drama. The ignition and kill switch were both off and there were no dramas during the ride. Since then it has been parked and covered. (Cover went on day after ride).

About two weeks ago I disconnected the O2 sensors and described in this forum and maybe this might be the cause. When I disconnected the o2 sensors I taped up the ends and made them nice and neat. I checked the fuses and all are O.K.

It off to the dealer next week so it can be fixed. Is this problem happened to anyone else? I can only think that if my wife hadn't smelt the smoke, the bike, the garage and maybe the house all would've went up. ****.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Holly S&*T it’s a good thing your wife has a good sense of smell and you did not lose your house.
Glad everything is ok. To bad about your bike

·
Registered
142 Posts
Oh!! I'm glad you acted so quick and nothing else happened - hopefully the bike will be covered on insurance..

·
Registered
659 Posts
Holy flaming Jackpot Batman!!!

All kidding aside… you are lucky things didn’t get worse. You could have been riding and have the bike burst into flames. You could have been out for dinner and come back to a smoldering pile of rubble that used to be your house.

Good luck on the repair.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Holy flaming Jackpot Batman!!!

All kidding aside… you are lucky things didn’t get worse. You could have been riding and have the bike burst into flames. You could have been out for dinner and come back to a smoldering pile of rubble that used to be your house.

Good luck on the repair.

priceless starting reply!!:ltr:

hope all is coverd under ins, good luck.

·
Registered
66 Posts
i had a similar happening except mine was with the ignition, everything was going good and then one day i walk into the garage and hear what sounded to be something leaking air. i thought it was just the air compressor since it leaks. Come back out a little later and there’s smoke coming from the side cover next to the battery. Take it off and there’s flames. I moved the ignition and thought i had placed the wiring in a proper location but the ignition relocation bracket wore a hole in the insulation of the solenoid and started a fire. Everything stopped once i disconnected the batter and nothing was shorted out luckily. I fixed up the wiring and everything has worked just fine ever since.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've always hated motorcycle electrical stuff- and you guys aren't making me feel any better about it!

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
I've always hated motorcycle electrical stuff- and you guys aren't making me feel any better about it!
That's why there's Comprehensive Insurance and it should be on every vehicle one owns, running or not, the year 'round. Get the lowest deductible you can afford.thumb up

·
Registered
15 Posts
My nieces husband had an ars warming incident on the way to work once. He was running a ZX12R then. A guy in a car yelled to him that smoke was coming from his bike. This was just as he was going up a highway on ramp.
He pulled over and as soon as he got off the bike, flames came out from under the seat.
When he called in to work to tell them he'd be late they said they knew. They saw him on the TV news traffic report. Helicopter Cam.
The next Christmas I sent him an MP3 of "The Christmas Song." That's the one that starts off with "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire." :D
He has a ZX14R now.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The bike is getting picked up on monday by Brisans Motorcycles. Its going to have to be a warranty issue, the bike is only a year old.
I would be surprised if they tried to tell me otherwise.

I checked the bike out again yesterday and it appears that only the voltage regulator and some wiring behind it has been damaged. There is no other fire damage to the bike, thank god and hopefully I'll be back on the road by end of next week.

I have got comprehensive insurance for the bike and it is a must to have it here over in OZ. The bike is insured for $41,000. You guys are lucky price wise when it comes to bikes!!!!

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
... smoke was coming from his bike... as he was going up a highway on ramp...called work to tell them he'd be late they said they ... saw him on the ...TV news Helicopter Cam.

The next Christmas I sent him a MP3...with "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire."
Now, THAT is funny. I don't care WHO you are!:ltr::ltr::ltr:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts