Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question for the group,
Bought a 2013 XCT this month and now have about 800 miles on here. First service was done at 500, and now I have an issue of the motor shutting off on a 2nd to 1st Down shift.

Any ideas on how to solve this?

Bike is stock. Just talked to the dealer as they told me not to down shift due to the bike going into a lean condition and the ECM shutting the motor down. I would like to make sure the bike is right before going to a power commander or an FI2000 unit.

Ideas?

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Question for the group,
Bought a 2013 XCT this month and now have about 800 miles on here. First service was done at 500, and now I have an issue of the motor shutting off on a 2nd to 1st Down shift.

Bike is stock. Just talked to the dealer as they told me not to down shift due to the bike going into a lean condition and the ECM shutting the motor down. I would like to make sure the bike is right before going to a power commander or an FI2000 unit.

Ideas?
You kidding? The dealer told you not to shift from 2nd to 1st? Ever? Is this dealer aware of some problem with your particular XCT, or was the dealer stating this as a general rule with all Vic engines? Where are you located, and who is this dealer?

·
Registered
201 Posts
sounds like the dealer is trying to pork you!!! I have a 2011 cc i shift up and down constantly with no issues at all. I am reading to many issues on here and it seems like there are too many dealers out there that either dont know what they are talking about or they dont give a **** once they have there $$$$$!!! I hope these issues stop, because if they continue i will never buy a victory again. I have read so many posts bashing HD,but victory is going in that direction. I am very dissapointed bye what i am reading on these forums. It also seems that when one person complains about something all these people come out with all kind of issues!! Whats up with that? I am starting to wonder if i made the right choice and if these issues continue will my bike be worth ****!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
You kidding? The dealer told you not to shift from 2nd to 1st? Ever?
Supposedly, some have had an issue blipping the throttle prior to the downshift. Some have speculated that Vic has some ECU software that sees this as an engine in runaway and cuts it off. I have a Stage 1 and blip all the time and have never had an issue, but maybe a stock bike behaves differently? I've demo'd a lot of stock bikes too though and never experienced such a problem.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You kidding? The dealer told you not to shift from 2nd to 1st? Ever? Is this dealer aware of some problem with your particular XCT, or was the dealer stating this as a general rule with all Vic engines? Where are you located, and who is this dealer?
From what I am learning, the Vic engines are tuned very lean, using the engine to slow the bike, creates a over lean condition which shuts the bike down. Vic's party line don't down shift.

Might also be an air valve (?) creating the same condition...

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
This has happened to many of us, myself included. The issue does go away once the bike is fully broken in (around 1000-2000 miles) and the ECM learns from its mistakes. Yes, I am aware the break-in period is only 500mi, but for the first 1000-2000mi the bike is really tight and losens up around that mark. This was observed by others as well (search the forum).

What you can do immediately, and easily, is to disconnect the O² sensors. (Here's how: http://www.victoryforums.com/showpost.php?p=24760&postcount=1).

Supposedly, some have had an issue blipping the throttle prior to the downshift. Some have speculated that Vic has some ECU software that sees this as an engine in runaway and cuts it off...
That's a good point. Don't blip, as it's not necessary, and you have to learn the type of blips the ECM likes, and the ones it doesn't.

·
Registered
470 Posts
the victory service and support(or lack of it) is really starting to worry me. now that the dealer in knoxville has closed there isn't even a local dealer and the closest one in chattanooga i wouldn't trust to work on my bike. victory SORELY needs dedicated dealers who know what they are doing and promote the brand. as it is the very dealers are what scare me about even owning a vic. victory bikes are almost an afterthought in the shops and their answer to every problem seems to be i don't know, or stop doing whatever is causing the problem. harley used to be like this during the amc years and if they weren't saved by a group of investors they would be gone. vics aren't bulletproof any more than any other brand, they have problems and need work and service just like any. maybe it WILL take the brand going belly up and being bought by actual motorcycle people to fix it.

·
Premium Member
1,181 Posts
the victory service and support(or lack of it) is really starting to worry me. now that the dealer in knoxville has closed there isn't even a local dealer and the closest one in chattanooga i wouldn't trust to work on my bike. victory SORELY needs dedicated dealers who know what they are doing and promote the brand. as it is the very dealers are what scare me about even owning a vic. victory bikes are almost an afterthought in the shops and their answer to every problem seems to be i don't know, or stop doing whatever is causing the problem. harley used to be like this during the amc years and if they weren't saved by a group of investors they would be gone. vics aren't bulletproof any more than any other brand, they have problems and need work and service just like any. maybe it WILL take the brand going belly up and being bought by actual motorcycle people to fix it.
This is why we have forums for discussions and problem solving. Most guys that ride can wrench and the ones that don't read about how it is down so when they take it some where they will not get taken.. It will not go belly up, Canadians have investors in the brand too.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
sounds like the dealer is trying to pork you!!! I have a 2011 cc i shift up and down constantly with no issues at all. I am reading to many issues on here and it seems like there are too many dealers out there that either dont know what they are talking about or they dont give a **** once they have there $$$$$!!! I hope these issues stop, because if they continue i will never buy a victory again. I have read so many posts bashing HD,but victory is going in that direction. I am very dissapointed bye what i am reading on these forums. It also seems that when one person complains about something all these people come out with all kind of issues!! Whats up with that? I am starting to wonder if i made the right choice and if these issues continue will my bike be worth ****!!!!!!
Hey Shooter,

If you don't have an issue, don't sweat it. I'm on many different vehicle forums and there are those with legit problems and those that "get off" on trashing a product relentlessly.

I have witnessed many things at some local Vic dealer/service shops that are outrageous and unacceptable. This is the real problem IMO. As others here have said, this continues to be a growing issue that Vic Corporate needs to get ahead of or their customer base will spend elsewhere.

·
Registered
925 Posts

The one in Kodak so far seems to be alright for what little bit I have talked to them and getting ready to use them
There is also a dealer in ringgold ga I used then once for my check up on my rocket and seemed to have done a good job which last time there they were selling Vic triumph Ridley and big dog motorcycles if I remember right

·
Registered
381 Posts
I have to wonder how fast you are going when you downshift to first gear. With both my 2011 XC and my 2012 XCT I just about always downshift before I come to a complete stop BUT I rarely let the clutch out. First gear deceleration after a downshift isn't a good idea wether it be bike or car. Just my opinion...but I'm always right! :ltr:

·
Administrator
5,978 Posts
If you aren't someone who rides spiritedly. If you are, be prepared for a lot of jerkiness as the tire tries to lock up on downshifts.
I think you misread this. The original post said it happens when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. How aggressive can you be when decelerating from 2nd to 1st, without bending your shifting forks?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Question for the group,

Ideas?
I ride a 2012 XCT and have had this issue since day 1. I adjusted my riding style to try and stop it, but after a tipover when the motor just once again quit, I finally got tired of it and after much reading and research, purchased LLoyd'z Idle Air Valve (http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000078) and installed it a couple of weeks ago.

All I can say is that I can kick myself for not installing this sooner! It has made a WORLD of a difference for me, the bike no longer has any of the stalling tendencies and runs so much smoother at slow speed.

I've since also installed Lloyd'z new air filter and am very happy with that as well.

I have no association with Lloyd'z other than being an extremely happy customer.

·
Registered
470 Posts
The one in Kodak so far seems to be alright for what little bit I have talked to them and getting ready to use them
There is also a dealer in ringgold ga I used then once for my check up on my rocket and seemed to have done a good job which last time there they were selling Vic triumph Ridley and big dog motorcycles if I remember right
i'll check them if i ever need work done. i do all my own work except for the times the needed tools just cost too much.

·
Premium Member
5,632 Posts
I think you misread this. The original post said it happens when downshifting from 2nd to 1st. How aggressive can you be when decelerating from 2nd to 1st, without bending your shifting forks?
Yeah, I get your point, but a few things:

1. Blipping is blipping. If blipping is his problem, I would think it could happen regardless of gear selection.

2. Blipping prevents the heavy deceleration of which you speak.

3. I just recently read or watched something that said our bikes could hit 45 mph in first gear. Seems a little high to me, but if so, it could presumably be used for dicing up really tight stuff. I tend to leave it in third doing that kinda thing, but to each their own.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Question for the group,

Ideas?
Welcome to the club. I've had this problem since day one and it hasn't gotten any better.

This has happened to many of us, myself included. The issue does go away once the bike is fully broken in (around 1000-2000 miles) and the ECM learns from its mistakes. Yes, I am aware the break-in period is only 500mi, but for the first 1000-2000mi the bike is really tight and losens up around that mark. This was observed by others as well (search the forum).
I have over 8,000 miles now. Guess mine needs a super long break in. Hopefully by 100,000 miles (if it gets that far, really concerned I'll go down in a turn when the engine stalls) it'll stop doing it.

·
Registered
848 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Little update.

Thank you for all of your responses, found out a couple of things:
1) according to the dealership these things stock run very lean.
2) some things that can cause this issue are:
Rpm matching during down shifting (aka blipping) this trick the ecm to lean out the engine or over fuel the engine and either condition cut the motor off.
Pluging the deal diagnostic program in, found an ICV issue. this was reset and did not fault during my short ride back, the discription included Battery disconnect and a couple of other things that escape my memory at this time. Interesting that disconnecting the battery would cause a fault with the ICV.
I did disconnect the leads on the battery to connect my battery tender and wire the leads for the J&M communication system.

So some thoughts on the future of this issue.

Loydz ICV is in the cards along with a FI2000 PwrPro. From what I have learned and has been reitterated here the Loydz valve work extreemely well, and the FI 2000 smooths the bike as well as cools the motor, the power adder isn't bad either.

If any of the guru's out there know of a way to reset ECM faults without a Dealer Computer please shoot me a PM.

Thanks
Squatch.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts