Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a 2017 Vegas. Gorgeous bike. Love it, However, I am now very concerned about something that happened when I went to pick it up. Bike started up fine, I hopped on and went to pop it into first. When I clunked the shifter down, the bike immediately lunged, locked up and stalled. Tried again, same thing. Seller said something about it could be a kickstand issue, and he tried to throw it into first as well and it did the same thing. after a few tries and me crapping myself, 1st gear engaged and it rolled away beautifully. that should never happen again, says the dealer.... right.
Now, if it's a kicksatnd safety, no big deal, that can be fixed or simply disabled. The big concern for me is that when the clutch lever was pulled in, it would not roll. THIS SHOULD NEVER HAPPEN. Repeat. the bike should never lock up when the clutch lever is pulled in. I was tripping out with fear the whole way home. I did some digging and found that there have been issues in the past with Vics locking up while shifting, particularly downshifting. Wish I saw those threads before throwing good money at a used Vic. I did a good amount of research and found nothing but good things about them. Low maintenence, great power, etc... I planned to get this bike and ride it until one of us dies.
I have owned many bikes. But never a fuel injected MC. All carb bikes. I knew there would be a big learning curve but I was not expecting problems right away. I've never had too much fear at bike issues, it can all be sorted out with patience. But as I said. The bike should never, ever seize up with the clutch lever pulled. what do I do here? It has not done it again but I am scared every time I get on it now. I know the bike sat for a while. But beyond being 3 years old, it was barely ridden. It hasn't been broken in yet. It should have zero issues. again, not familiar with fuel injection at all. A bit over my head at the moment. I do plan to learn quickly but for now, I keep coming back to the fact that NO BIKE SHOULD EVER lock when the clutch lever is pulled. I need to know this isn't going to happen at high speeds, or really, ever. Otherwise I'm riding a 700 lb timebomb. Can anyone help me?
Thanks everyone

·
Registered
88 Posts
It sounds like the clutch is not fully disengaging, if at all, when you pull the clutch lever in. If it were me, I'd start small by cleaning and lubing the clutch cable and lever. Next, with the bike COLD, as in sat overnight, check your clutch adjustment. There should be very little (some, but not much) play in the clutch lever. Sorry, I don't know the actual spec off-hand. With the bike still cold and off, make sure the clutch moves freely and does not hang up at all.

·
Premium Member
1,602 Posts
Sounds like frictions are sticking. Possibly some corrosion if it sat for a long time.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
My first instinct would be that the clutch cable is not adjusted right, and that it's too loose.

Reactions: depot picker

·
Premium Member
2,244 Posts
Clutch plates sticking, cable needs adjustment as mentioned above. It could be both.

Reactions: SportyDoug

·
Premium Member
6,214 Posts
Yup abobe is right, your freeplay is not ajusted correctly, I have the kickstand shutoff, but you said the bike is launched forward? That is just an adjustment...

Andre using TaPaTaLk

Reactions: SportyDoug

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
Wiggle the clutch cable down at the pivot. It should neither be taught nor loose, just have a little slack - very little.
When lubing the cable, you only clean and lube the barrel fittings at the ends, not the cable itself. Release the ends by rotating the pivot with a pliers.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Just another clutch that has insufficient Freeplay, we get em in here all the time.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Guys, thanks so much for the info! I'll start at the cable. This will be my daily driver into the foreseeable future. I want to get her purring and keep it that way. I wasn't expecting a quick response, most forums take a day or two. Seems like a good group here.

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
@Johnnykaka This is a great how-to video for Victory clutch cable adjustment, from Witchdoctor's:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Guys, thanks so much for the info! I'll start at the cable. This will be my daily driver into the foreseeable future. I want to get her purring and keep it that way. I wasn't expecting a quick response, most forums take a day or two. Seems like a good group here.
Johnny, I've seen this sticking clutch thing happen before, but only on older bikes that have sat unused for a long time, like 4 or 5 years or more. The clutch discs stick to the clutch plates and do not release from each other when you pull the clutch lever. Thats why the bike lurched and hopefully stalled when you put her in first gear.The discs and plates have been squeezed together under spring pressure and all the oil has been pushed out until eventually they stick. I believe you will not have to be concerned of this happening again under normal circumstances. When you rode away the clutch became free and started operating as it should.
Johnny, you will not have to do this; On an old bike with this condition, remove the clutch plates from the engine, separate each disc and plate and place generous amounts of oil in between each set. Re assemble and your clutch will be fine.
I hope you enjoy your bike for many years.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ghart, this is true. Once the clutch engaged I rode away and shifting has gotten smoother and smoother. The bike had very few miles on it. I am still breaking it into 500. I will say that first gear is pretty snappy compared to my Bonneville. Triumphs have a very smooth clutch that can train you into bad habits. The Vegas is a much more powerful bike that is ready to brawl in every gear. I've ridden and owned a bunch of bikes but this is the biggest one. I feel like I'm learning to ride again! Can anyone give me any pointers for shifting? I don't want to lug into 1st too slowly but if I let it out too quick, it lurches like an animal and takes off. That is currently my biggest learning curve with this machine. Also, I've been using the downshift to slow down for so many years, but the Vegas doesn't seem to like it too much. But damn is it a fun ride! I want to break this bike in and ride it right. I really like it a lot. I will have a bunch of questions about it. My next thread will be on pipes of course!

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
I've always been torn about using the engine/clutch/downshifting to slow a bike. Having replaced both the clutch and the brake pads on a Victory, I can tell you that it is much much simpler, easier, and cheaper to replace the brake pads. Every time you engine brake, you use up a little of the clutch life when you could, instead be using up brake pad life. Admittedly, it is a small amount of clutch life but it is not zero that gets used every time you pull in the clutch lever and every time you release the clutch lever. I still use both downshifting and braking to reduce speed depending on the different situations but it is probably the more long-term better choice to only use the brakes to reduce your speed. As I describe above - I am conflicted.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts