Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came up from a local HD dealer in my Facebook feed.
Capture.PNG

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts
HD and Indian sales are way down. I don't see no where close to the number of motorcycles on the road that I use to. I don't think that Polaris is hurting HD any at all. You see very few on the road and the Jap and European bikes aren't out there like they use to be. The riding craze is fading away with all of us old riders right alone with it.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
In the HD ad, does anyone know what is meant by "tow challenge accepted"?

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Somewhere out there is an Indian ad showing that an Indian can tow a truck (or something like that) and can do it better/faster than a H-D. Stupid.

·
13,090 Posts
we lose sight of the fact back when the only excitement or being a rebel was to have a motorcycle. Now there is so much to do and place to go guys don't have the time for riding or the money. All our communities have 100's of events going on all the time and no need for a bike and beside you can hustle girls at these events. This winter I went to a little town in WI where a local bar had a chicken drop outside. There were a few guys on the roof of the bar and they would throw a chicken into the crowd of I'm guessing 150 or more. Most if not all had a beer in there hand and a band was playing. I hear one lad say she has 3 chickens at home now and hasn't one egg since she started coming to the drop. I did not see one snowmobile around and this is winter with snow everywhere. Just like bikes, there are too many other things to do

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I ride to commute because it's a hella lot cheaper than my pickup. Tuned the bike isn't unbearable on a hot day. I like it better than my smaller Honda in stop and go traffic. Not sure why. I just enjoy this bike. Trying to work out how to coordinate riding to work in rain. Probably need better rain gear.

It's true motorcycle sales have declined every year since what the early 2000's?
I still see new riders all the time but it's a luxury toy for many that they just don't want to invest in.

·
Premium Member
13,418 Posts
Things can sometimes ebb and flow. Maybe we are simply in an 'ebb' phase. I hope so. Riding motorcycles is one of the most fun one can have and still be rated "G".

If Harley is going after Indian then that means Harley is taking the competition seriously. I see this as a good thing. Competition forces companies to improve their products and sell at competitive rates.

Big bike sales are down in the USA but worldwide they aren't. I still see lots of bikes on the road where I live but we have a moderate climate during the day although about 4 AM this morning, when it was 27 degrees outside, I heard a Harley in the distance getting on it. I'm thinking he just got off work and he's a fairly young guy without other transportation options. Been there done that.

·
Registered
267 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Things can sometimes ebb and flow. Maybe we are simply in an 'ebb' phase. I hope so. Riding motorcycles is one of the most fun one can have and still be rated "G".

If Harley is going after Indian then that means Harley is taking the competition seriously. I see this as a good thing. Competition forces companies to improve their products and sell at competitive rates.

Big sales are down in the USA but worldwide they aren't. I still see lots of bikes on the road where I live but we have a moderate climate during the day although about 4 AM this morning, when it was 27 degrees outside, I heard a Harley in the distance getting on it. I'm thinking he just got off work and he's a fairly young guy without other transportation options. Been there done that.
True. Big HD is focusing VERY heavy in the overseas market where it's growing year after year.

I don't know if motorcycle sales will ever pick up like they were in years gone by here in USA. No one can afford a new bike. I think that is a lot of the problem we have so many great USED bikes in the market every year and none of that sales is tracked. It's been proven year after year that HD is their own worst enemy by having a great used market. Why buy new? Same applies to all brands.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Still plenty of bikes on the road here in NE TN but mostly HD's but quite a few Polaris Indians out here too.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,891 Posts

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
I think part of the bike thing is also these new folks cant drive a stick shift. So unless someone starts making an automatic bike again (which everyone laughed at Honda for) These new riders are gonna have to invest time to learn how to drive a manual.

·
Registered
1,571 Posts
Isn't the latest Honda Goldwing available with an automatic transmission - probably a CVT?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Isn't the latest Honda Goldwing available with an automatic transmission - probably a CVT?
New Wing has a transmission with great reviews. Electronic shifting and all that.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Just came up from a local HD dealer in my Facebook feed.

Yeah, cute. I just ran across an ad in a M/C mag offering a bolt and stud kit that one can use on their snappy M-8 when the heads crack. That, engine sumping, and tranny fluid in the primary make me want to jump right up and run right out to buy a Big Twin.

Back in the day, the first name given to the Evolution engine was, "Blockhead". There was a quick push to change the name to Evo, as those of us who had been burned by the lack of quality control around the Shovels noted that - one had to be a Blockhead to buy a H-D. Credit the R & D money from AMF, and the enthusiasm of the folks who moved H-D out of the AMF family, for the improved engine along with better dealer interactions with the buying public. It seems to me that H-D has forgotten its history and is sadly, currently, repeating it.

But - I love my Sporty.
100_4194.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
I had a 99 FLSTS, which was a pretty bike. If memory serves the problem of the inner primary cracking was resolved with the 98 & 99 Evos. I was spoiled by the lack of vibration in the newer bikes and did not like the constant service needed by the front end and so sold the STS to a friend. Bullet proof engine for sure.
1999 FLSTS.jpg

1 - 20 of 20 Posts