Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and thanks. I have a 2006 Vegas Jackpot. I have owned it 5 months. Has 22,000 miles on it. Has run great.
Yesterday, I was pulling into a parking lot and the bike just shut down. No power of any kind when key turns on. Could not push and jump start it or jump the battery.
Just nothing when turning key on.
Any suggestions as to what might be wrong before towing to a dealer? Best regards, Marty

·
12,984 Posts
how old is the battery? Put a full charge in it and take it to a battery store and have them do a load test.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hello and thanks. I have a 2006 Vegas Jackpot. I have owned it 5 months. Has 22,000 miles on it. Has run great.
Yesterday, I was pulling into a parking lot and the bike just shut down. No power of any kind when key turns on. Could not push and jump start it or jump the battery.
Just nothing when turning key on.
Any suggestions as to what might be wrong before towing to a dealer? Best regards, Marty
Kill switch check it, you never know.. You might of hit it ... wac

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all the suggestions, they are greatly appreciated. I don't know about the kill switch. Could not get to fuses since I could not get the seat off, not where it is sitting right now and bolts are really tight, allen wrench wants to start to strip, so they will need a good soaking. Got a new battery, but the one on the bike shows 12.9 volts sitting, so the battery is not bad.
I am having the dealer come pick it up and take it to shop. Could be a simple fix, who knows. I put a test on the ignition to ground, and showed no volts.
So something has just gone bad. :-(
Thanks again for all your responses. Regards, Marty

·
12,984 Posts
BlueyedCaptain
your a step above you have a meter and use it. Good for you

wonder why the seat bolt aren't finger tight. I mean we all sit on them so there not going to fly off.
If your on the side of the road and don't have a wrench in your pocket what do you do

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
BlueyedCaptain

wonder why the seat bolt aren't finger tight. I mean we all sit on them so there not going to fly off.
If your on the side of the road and don't have a wrench in your pocket what do you do
LOL Like the way you think sometimes VJ. I might have to make some wing stud nuts for mine XC if there is room.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks again, all the connections looked solid. Loosened and tightened the cables. Still nothing. Had the bike picked up this morning by dealer. They are working on it now.
Best regards, Marty

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Keep us informed .....thumb up

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
My 2006 Vegas had the same problem, went completely dead, no power at all. I found the ignition fuse blown, replaced it and it promptly blew again. On the advice of KevinX I found a fuel injector wire rubbed bare by a nut at the base of the throttle body. Take a look there, it might be your problem also.

·
Registered
586 Posts
My 2006 Vegas had the same problem, went completely dead, no power at all. I found the ignition fuse blown, replaced it and it promptly blew again. On the advice of KevinX I found a fuel injector wire rubbed bare at the by a nut at the base of the throttle body. Take a look there, it might be your problem also.
Great share!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
My 2006 Vegas had the same problem, went completely dead, no power at all. I found the ignition fuse blown, replaced it and it promptly blew again. On the advice of KevinX I found a fuel injector wire rubbed bare by a nut at the base of the throttle body. Take a look there, it might be your problem also.
Well, it was exactly as you say. It was the 15amp ignition fuse that was blown. Once that is blown, you cannot do anything. No juice, no power, can't jump start it. I will have to see if I have any wires rubbing. But I like the idea of putting in Stainless Steel Wing Nuts with a little rubber washer where you can hand tighten and hand loosen the bolts to take the seat off without tools so you can get to the fuse box easily enough. I will keep some extra fuses in a case on the bike just in case it happens again.
But it can happen anytime, even while you are just riding along at 60mph. Fortunately for me, it happened just as I pulled into a parking lot at the location of my destination and had a friend come pick me up on a sunny day in Florida.
Thanks again for all your responses.
Best regards, Marty

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Great share!
Well, after riding a couple days, the bike went dead and fuse had blown again. A friend was nearby and brought tools to get to fuse box. I replaced fuse, jiggled some wires and the fuse blew again. Replaced and ran fine for about 1 minute, then blew on it's own. Put another in and blew when turning key on. Put another in and it started fine, drove it for about 15 miles, parked, restarted several times and runs fine. So I must have a short that comes and goes. I will have to check wires more closely or when it's darker to see where it might be arcing and shorting out?? I have now kept the fuse cover off so I can replace the ignition fuse easy enough without taking the seat off while riding when it blows.
Marty

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I found the pictures I took when I found the short on my bike. First picture shows the injector wiring unplugged and on top of the throttle body, second picture shows a close up of the bare wires, and third picture shows the washer they were rubbing against (upper RH in the picture, I think the TPS if memory is right. Yours may be in the same place, that is exactly where KevinX told me to look. Hope this helps.

Attachments

·
12,984 Posts
If you haven't done it yet. Look on the back side of your ing switch. that might be the problem. Look where ever you have done any wiring even under the seat

·
Registered
742 Posts
I found the pictures I took when I found the short on my bike. First picture shows the injector wiring unplugged and on top of the throttle body, second picture shows a close up of the bare wires, and third picture shows the washer they were rubbing against (upper RH in the picture, I think the TPS if memory is right. Yours may be in the same place, that is exactly where KevinX told me to look. Hope this helps.
During your exchange w/KevinX, did he by chance mention if this was/is a common "issue" w/our bikes? If so, checking the wires should be on the to do list whenever cleaning the TB's... Definitely a great share. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
During your exchange w/KevinX, did he by chance mention if this was/is a common "issue" w/our bikes? If so, checking the wires should be on the to do list whenever cleaning the TB's... Definitely a great share. Thanks.
He did not say that specifically, but he told me exactly where to look for the problem and there it was. I would guess he has seen it before, so checking while cleaning the throttle bodies is probably a great idea.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

Thanks for the pictures. I am headed back home to Maryland from Florida. Putting bike on trailer today. I will look into it more when I get home and review the pictures better and check my bike. So great to get such detailed responses. Thanks, Marty

1 - 20 of 20 Posts