Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode my 2006 Kingpin to work yersterday as well as a short ride about 8 last night with no problems at all. This morning about 5:30 I tried to start her and all I could get was a very low idle and then she'd die. Eventually she'd stay running at the very low idle, but if you'd give her any gas at all she'd die. Any ideas what's going on? I put new spark plugs in the begining of March as well as an oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Throttle sweep first
Key on switch on engine off
Slow 5 count while rolling throttle to wide open
Hold throttle open for slow 5 count
Let throttle snap shut
Cycle kill switch
Start bike

Check battery conections for clean, and tight

If still have problem; check fuel pressure

·
Registered
24 Posts
Sounds To Me Like Fuel Starvation So I Would Check To See If The Fuel Pump Primes The System. At Switch On Listen To See If The Fuel Pump Activates For 2 Secs.
You Can Try Priming By Turning Ignition Switch On And Toggle The Kill Switch On And Off At 5 Second Intervals 3times.
If The Fuel Pump Does Not Activate Remove The Fuel Pump Relay And Connect An Amp Meter Across The Points Of The Relay And Check To See If Ther Is Any Current Draw Alternatively Check Voltage At Switch On Should Be 12v For 2 Seconds To Fuel Pump.
If No Voltage Check Wiring If Voltage Present And Low Pressure Replace Pump.
Rather Long Winded But Good Luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm at work now so I can't try anything. I know the fuel pump was working. I could hear it. Thanks for the suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Sounds To Me Like Fuel Starvation So I Would Check To See If The Fuel Pump Primes The System. At Switch On Listen To See If The Fuel Pump Activates For 2 Secs.
You Can Try Priming By Turning Ignition Switch On And Toggle The Kill Switch On And Off At 5 Second Intervals 3times.
If The Fuel Pump Does Not Activate Remove The Fuel Pump Relay And Connect An Amp Meter Across The Points Of The Relay And Check To See If Ther Is Any Current Draw Alternatively Check Voltage At Switch On Should Be 12v For 2 Seconds To Fuel Pump.
If No Voltage Check Wiring If Voltage Present And Low Pressure Replace Pump.
Rather Long Winded But Good Luck
The fact that it starts at all tells me the pump comes on. Weather it has enough pressure would be the next question

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok I left work half day cause it's bugging me so much. No luck on your sugestion kevin. I bought a fuel preasure checker. It says five pounds which I wouldn't even think would run bike, but it stays running barely unless I touch throttle. The pump sounds pretty sluggish while running and strong when you first flip switch. Where do I go from here?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Another point is the bike has under 11,000 miles. Would a pump go this early. I found something on internet that said the 2006 were recalled for a fuel pump retaining clip that could cause the same issues Im having. Is this something I should check into. I also talked to a guy who has a vegas that replaced the pump and found that it was a short in the wiring. Dealer made him pay for pump even though that wasnt what was wrong. I dont want this to happen. What should I do next. Suck it up and take to dealer or try something else.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Took to dealer and they verified that it was fuel pump. Of corse victory pumps are the most expensive and no aftermarket available as well as being un rebuildable. How is it after all the research I've done numerous forums have owners complaining of these pumps going bad before or by 10000 miles. Gonna cost over $700 to fix. This has been the first time I actually am missing my Harley. If all repairs will cost so much more than any other bike I've owned it will definatley play a part in my next upgrade decision no matter how much I like these bikes. Maybe I'm over reacting but I'm very disappointed right now.

·
The Diamond
4,001 Posts
That sucks, sorry you have to put that out.

Ive heard a very few number of pumps going bad but thats all, just a few. Bikes are mechanical things with moving parts. Not every single bike off the line is going to be perfect.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There Is An Alternative And That Is To Revert To The Earlier Victory Which Takes An External Pump Which Lies Vertically Next To The High Pressure Fuel Filter Canister.
The Pump Used Is A Bosch Motorcar Pump Which Works Very Well At 20% Of The Cost For The Complete Mod Which Can Be Done With Diy Skills.
Match Pressure Of Old Pump Then Check For Physical Size, If You Have A Problem I Can Give Bosch Part No.
Good Luck

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok now that the sting of the whole cost has gone away and I have the bike back I feel much better. I've had bike since February and the fuel pump was obviously never acting correctly. The bike starts 1000 times easier and it runs alot better. The pump is also much louder.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Kingpin : I'm glad your pump is pumping . I was wondering if anyone had any input about ethanol in the fuel and it being corrosive to some older types of plastics . Also about fuel additives to help lubricate the fuel pump and or comments on Victory's fuel additive for removing carbon build up . Would it help lube the fuel pump . I'm looking to prevent . I don't want any repairs.... that would cut into my beer fund .. LOL

1 - 13 of 13 Posts