Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy All,

Well, I did as much searching as I could, and I won't lie I couldn't find much about this issue, so I'm creating a post in general discussion for any information that you all can provide.

I have a 2013 Victory Highball with roughly 5,500 miles on it. In the last week my highball will no longer start if my bike is in gear, with the clutch pulled in. I know some may advise against this, and to each their own, but reading my manual the bike should be able to start while in gear and clutch pulled in. This is the way I've been starting my bike for the last two years, so I know it should do this. My bike starts perfectly fine when in Neutral, however it won't start at all in gear. Am I missing something? Can any light be shed on this situation?

This is the exert from my manual about starting in gear:
"The starter interlock system allows the engine to be started only when the transmission is in
neutral, or when the transmission is in gear with the clutch disengaged (clutch lever pulled
in)."

Again, any information would be greatly appreciated.

-HT

·
Super Moderator
6,378 Posts
Check the clutch switch. It's a small switch that opens and closes with the clutch lever.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I second the clutch switch. It should still be under warranty at your mileage.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I always make sure I'm in neutral anyway because I have to back my bike into the garage.

I'm glad because if I had gotten in the habit of cranking it while in gear, it may not be in the right one and there could be an emergency requiring me to move my arse quickly.

When it's time to go, I need to be sure about my direction, that my mode of movement is reliable, and that I look good doing it. :p:D:cool::ltr:

·
Registered
611 Posts
Almost definitely the clutch switch. Make sure it's connected and if it is, test it for proper function. If it doesn't operate properly, replace it. If it does, there's a high probability that you have a short somewhere that's causing the bike to not see the switch when the lever is pulled.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I always make sure I'm in neutral anyway because I have to back my bike into the garage.

I'm glad because if I had gotten in the habit of cranking it while in gear, it may not be in the right one and there could be an emergency requiring me to move my arse quickly.

When it's time to go, I need to be sure about my direction, that my mode of movement is reliable, and that I look good doing it. :p:D:cool::ltr:
I need to be sure about my direction.
No worries Dill i think there is a lock out switch for the Reverse gear also.thumb up:ltr::ltr:cheers

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
My clutch safety switch on a 2012 Vic XCT failed. It was trivially simple to replace but cost about $60. You can easily test it with an ohm meter. See if it changes from 0 to infinite resistance when you pull the clutch lever. It might be infinite to zero when you pull the lever, I can't remember, but the key is that it should change radically in the resistance across the wires when the clutch lever is pulled.

G'day,

Vinish

1 - 8 of 8 Posts