Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi shut bike off after work tonight and went to start it up and nothing keys on kill switch is off in neutral push start button nothing! Fuel pumps runs all lights come on any ideal that I'm missing thanks.Rick

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Try pulling in the clutch? Shift into first then back into neutral? Toggle the kill switch back and forth?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did toggle the kill switch tried putting in gear and back also .

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Is there any clicking when you hit the starter button? Maybe the battery is weak? Battery connections loose?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
nope no clicking noise nothing thought maybe the switch went bad?

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Did you try pulling in the clutch while pushing the starter button even though you were in neutral and shouldn't need to have the clutch in?

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not sure what year/model we're talking about here. There should be a main circuit breaker right off the positive lead of the battery. Replacements can be had at Napa or equivalent auto parts store for usually under $10. You can Google or use the search feature on this forum titled " main circuit breaker" and probably find heaps of info on replacement part numbers. Hope its an easy fix.

·
13,263 Posts
what year and model bike do you have

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
Per intro post the OP has a 2011 XC

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
The starter system is fairly easy to troubleshoot.
Start at the battery + and using a test light or meter work your way back.
We know the 40 amp breaker is good since his lights and dash work.
Go through the 10 amp fuse, through the ignition switch, run/stop switch, start switch and to one side of your starter relay.
If you have 12 volts getting there, then check the clutch switch that should provide a ground to the other side of the starter relay coil.
With a good 12 volts on one side and a good ground on the other, that relay should energize, providing a massive 12 volts directly from the battery to the starter.
If it doesn't then replace the starter relay.
You could also test the starter, put your bike in neutral and leave the key off, you don't need the bike on to test this.
Short out the two large cables across the starter relay, this will put 12 volts directly to the starter and it should turn the engine.
Of course it won't start because your bike is off, but it should still turn the engine. If it doesn't then you may have a bad starter.
Hope this diagram helps.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was gone for the weekend had a friend pick up bike and when he tried to start didn't then he shifted into first and back to neutral and it started is there a reason why I may have put into second and back I'm confused thanks ?

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I have done this before, going into a shopping mall parking lot, I push in the clutch and coast to a stop, shut off the bike and it is still in second.
No big deal, but it still should have started with the clutch in, no matter what gear you are in.
Check the clutch switch, it should apply a ground directly to the starter relay.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
when I shut it off it was in neutral idling is there a safty switch anywhere else on them ?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts