Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got back from a 2200 mile 4 day trip and went to take the wife on a day trip with some friends. Drove 10 miles to meet up with everyone else. Went to start the bike and I take off, it stalls. Start it up and it sounds like it's got a dead cylinder (doubtful, but just sounds that bad), so I rev the engine a little bit and all of a sudden, some smoke coming from the coil pack. Found a little plastic charring but only see some sign of some melted plastic around the edge of the coil pack. Can't figure out why it would melt. Nothing around it hot enough, so I assume it was internal to the coil pack. Turn the key on, and what I had always assumed was the fuel pump spitting fuel before I cranked it no longer makes noise/comes on. Removed the PCV to see if that had anything to do with it, but the bike still won't start. Not sure if it's coil pack or fuel. I'll have to call the dealer on Tuesday when they open to see what is happening. I hope they don't say since the PCV was on the bike, it basically voids the 6yr warranty I have. But glad this didn't happen on the 2200 mile trip and only happened 10 miles from home.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I'm not saying this is the problem, but it might be. The first thing to check on these bikes, when they have an electrical or starting problem, are the battery terminals for tightness. They do have a habit of loosening, especially if you haven't placed external type star lock washers under the bolt heads.
Do us and yourself a favor by completing your profile and a signature, please. That will help us to help you.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I'd be willing to bet you dollars to donuts that the PC-V will void the warranty as will just about any other drivetrain mod like the ATS. Do yourself a favor and totally remove the PC-V and reverse any other drivetrain mods prior to taking it in for warranty work.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
I'd be willing to bet you dollars to donuts that the PC-V will void the warranty as will just about any other drivetrain mod like the ATS. Do yourself a favor and totally remove the PC-V and reverse any other drivetrain mods prior to taking it in for warranty work.

G'day,

Vinish
You just made me very happy that I'm a long time off warranty. Thanks for that post.:grin

·
12,983 Posts
This is not FB where every one post but never says what model and year they have. With out that information the post is worthless.

I will say pull the PCV off extended warranty will not cover bikes with performance up grades

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you everyone

This is not FB where every one post but never says what model and year they have. With out that information the post is worthless.

I will say pull the PCV off extended warranty will not cover bikes with performance up grades
I appreciate those of you who have contributed to diagnosing the problem and recommending possible solutions. To everyone else though, it really doesn't take 3 posts to tell me that I should update my profile with information on my ride. I know you don't know this, but I'm not new to any forum. This particular forum seems to be a little harder to manipulate though because 2-3 weeks ago, I tried to update my garage with all the information you all are requesting me update, but there seemed to be a problem with uploading a 3mb picture of my bike even though the requirement stated it needed to be under 16mb. It appears it's also a requirement to have a picture of my ride in order to even publish my garage. Seems odd to me, but I quit trying to update my garage then and when I find time, I will definitely try to get that information added that you all need. For the record, I have a 2015 Cross Country Titanium Suede edition. I hope that helps. Thank you all for your kindness.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
I appreciate those of you who have contributed to diagnosing the problem and recommending possible solutions. To everyone else though, it really doesn't take 3 posts to tell me that I should update my profile with information on my ride. I know you don't know this, but I'm not new to any forum. This particular forum seems to be a little harder to manipulate though because 2-3 weeks ago, I tried to update my garage with all the information you all are requesting me update, but there seemed to be a problem with uploading a 3mb picture of my bike even though the requirement stated it needed to be under 16mb. It appears it's also a requirement to have a picture of my ride in order to even publish my garage. Seems odd to me, but I quit trying to update my garage then and when I find time, I will definitely try to get that information added that you all need. For the record, I have a 2015 Cross Country Titanium Suede edition. I hope that helps. Thank you all for your kindness.
all is good brother..you just have to read between the lines here and ignore some of it. otherwise, its a great bunch of guys really just trying to help. i know many here have helped me and continue to do so.

·
Registered
12,158 Posts
w8ing....We are just trying to be helpful, really. Go to User CP up in the upper right hand corner of the screen, next to Log Out. On the left of the new screen you'll see where to click for profile and signature editing. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
w8ing....We are just trying to be helpful, really. Go to User CP up in the upper right hand corner of the screen, next to Log Out. On the left of the new screen you'll see where to click for profile and signature editing. Hope this helps.
Thank you both. I've made the changes. I guess I was concentrating so much on "My Garage" that I overlooked that's not where to update the information from. My bad!. I have to agree with BBob. Because of that smoke and little bit of charring, it sure looks like the coil went bad. Has anyone heard of the PCV causing this type of issue? My concern is the dealer fixes the problem, but I have this happen again while on a long trip when I get the PC connected back up. Sure would make for a crappy trip. I wonder if I should reach out to PowerCommand and chat with them about this. I'll call the dealer tomorrow when they open. Thanks again everyone for your help so far. I didn't mean any disrespect with my last post.

·
Premium Member
13,043 Posts
Has anyone heard of the PCV causing this type of issue?
I haven't but then I am not the expert when it comes to this kind of thing.

All I can say is this is not something I have read about on any of the 3 Victory forums I peruse.

My one good attribute on this is I have a pretty good memory about reading issues pertaining to Vic's. Especially when I read a new issue. This is a new issue from my perspective.

Sorry about beating that dead horse about updating your info like what kind, year, model, etc. bike you have. Knowing where you live matters too so updating all that helps us help you.

·
Premium Member
6,029 Posts
This is not FB where every one post but never says what model and year
What is FB ??
Here it means Fresh Beer but surely you did not mean that ??

1 - 13 of 13 Posts