Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went out today to start the bike, it hasn't been started in about a month, when I put it away I put sta-bil gas treatment in the tank and filled it up and plugged it into a battery tender it turns over just find it just don't want to start

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Pull a plug or both and see what they look like. And also reconnect one and ground to the frame or motor and crank it to see if you got spark. Does it turn over? might have been old fuel in line and coated the plug and fouled it. If no spark check battery cables for tightness or corrosion to battery terminals or ground cable to frame... just some thoughts , good luck

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
Did you try holding the throttle open just a little? Before you put it away did you let it idle for a while, longer then normal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
851 Posts
Is it turning over strong or kind of weak?

If it seems like it barely turning over I'd start with making sure the batter terminals are tight. Victory seems to have a habit of the terminals coming loose. Without a good connection it won't charge properly nor will it give enough juice to start.

Assuming that it is also cold up there in Ohio, I find it easier to twist the throttle an 1/8th of an inch or so when stating her up in the cold.

Beyond that figure out if the problem is fuel or spark by pulling the plugs like Guntown recommended.

·
13,254 Posts
If you can't ride it for more then a hour don't start it.
You'll do more harm then good.

·
Premium Member
4,178 Posts
i would say an hour is a bit much but yes if you cant go for a ride to warm it up good dont bother. but now you probably have it flooded? so i would try to get it fire up and warm it up good somehow.

dont just idle it either, these are pretty rich on the bottom so it will cause hard starting the next time. get it out for a short ride.

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
454 Posts
10-15 miles is plenty depending the road type being ridden. Took mine out yesterday after sitting during the 10 days of rain, rode 12.3 miles, real sure everything was hot by the time I got back home. My normal trip is about 30 miles one way (to or from work) so by your standards I am going to mess my bike up since it only takes me 45 minutes to get from point A to point B.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
It's better for the machine to get it hot where oil is at op temp and condensation evaporates. That said, I have had a machine or two and some of them sat all winter, others were daily runners an others got tinkered with and the running of them was not associated with a clock. They all survived winter and I'm prone to run 'em if I see fit although the good reasons for minimizing running the motor or running it for considerable length is valid.

Anyway I sure as hell would be sorting the starting issue. Pop wouldn't get any sleep knowing the bike would not start.

Did you run that StaBil to get it mixed? I guess I would do the elec checks as noted but after a spell sitting in cold and the battery is still strong, my gut is fuel. Damn gas is already watered down and corned up.
My Cross bike manual lists all the usual culprits in the troubleshooting stuff and I figure it's the same for your bikes manual. Not hard to get through. The bike ran when you put it up a couple weeks ago. It's not far from running right now.

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
There are a couple of bike won't start threads going as well as the same topic last winter. I don't remember if anyone has mentioned oil. I'm not a believer in starting a bike in cold weather unless I'm going to ride it. One of these no start threads mentioned trying to start a bike in a 10 degree garage. I don't ride in those temps. I hope those expecting their bikes to start in those temps aren't using the standard viscosity oil. I think that would be just plain cruel.

·
Premium Member
13,709 Posts
When was the last time the intake and filter had been cleaned or replaced. The cold weather will gum all that up in there. One thing you can try is to take a heat gun or hair dryer and blow it right on the intake as best as you can. Be careful with the heat gun because it will put out some major heat and probably melt something you don't want to melt.

Do that for a few minutes after checking your plugs, cleaning them if needed, replace, then try starting it. Let us know how it goes. If it works you know you are due for the obligatory intake cleaning at least.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts