Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm looking at getting a black bolt kit for my Highball. I know there are a lot of companies that do them and a lot do lots of separate items. Which do you guys recommend I get and through which company to get the best quality and best deal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Hi, I'm looking at getting a black bolt kit for my Highball. I know there are a lot of companies that do them and a lot do lots of separate items. Which do you guys recommend I get and through which company to get the best quality and best deal?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Are you looking for a black bolt kit for your tinted windshield or motor or case bolts. You can find then here

http://buywitchdoctors.com/
Good Luck
bcflyguy

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't have a windshield so it's just the engine bolts (or as many as possible).

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
I don't have a windshield so it's just the engine bolts (or as many as possible).
In that case, go to witchdoctors.com. They have all sizes , all coulors and free shipping. Good luck
bcflyguy

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What looks better? Black powder coated or black anodized?

If I can only do the cam and primary cover do you think it will look odd with all of the other bolts stock?

Has anyone here done it? Were you happy with it?

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
What looks better? Black powder coated or black anodized?

If I can only do the cam and primary cover do you think it will look odd with all of the other bolts stock?

Has anyone here done it? Were you happy with it?
What color is your bike? and what effect are you trying to get???

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got a black highball. I just want to improve it as much as I can ;)

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
They look great! In the uk too! Might save on shopping and import now! Just need to get the service manual now to see exactly the length and size bolts I need.

Are aluminum bolts strong enough or do I need steel?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just went on their website and when you search by bike it only gives me victory Vegas Jackpot 08-11. Should they all be the sane on my 2012 Highball?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are aluminium bolts strong enough for this application? I know that steel bolts are stronger. Just want to check before I install them as I know you can't use aluminium in all places. The cam and primary covers should be fine right?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi, just looking at the bolt kit and I noticed that the stock bolts are only threaded about 2/3 of the shaft. The replacement aluminum bolts have thread the entire bolt. Does that matter? Why are the different?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Aluminum and steel don't like each other very much. Putting an aluminum bolt in a steel housing may eventually become a permanent fastener due to corrosion. Antigalling may be prevented with the proper chemicals but if you don't have to, don't test it.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Tav, the Vegas Jackpot and Highball should be the same bolt kit , and how far the threads are up the bolt shouldn't matter , they call that space the shoulder , as long as there is more thread and not less , you should be good to go.cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Tav , anodizing is an electrical process to apply color to a certain product , anodize is very thin and scratches easily , powder coat is sprayed on and then baked in an oven at about 400 degrees , and is a thicker more durable coating , IMHO .

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Just wanted to ask about a few other bolts other than the usual primary and cam cover.

Can all of the engine bolts be replaced? In photo 1 can the 3 bolts up high just under the fins on the engine and the one under the oil dipstick be replaced with black aluminium bolts or do they need to be the steel ones to be strong enough?

In photos 2 there are a few bolt on the top of the heads just under the tank. I pulled one out and they look just like one of the ones that came out of the primary cover. Can I replace them too?

In photo 3 can all of the bolts just under the swept pipe be replaced too?

How can I tell if they need to stay steel because of the pressure on them? I know suspension or brake bolds have to either be stainless steel or titanium so I don't want to get it wrong and snap a bolt.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
I personally would stick with steel , at all costs , with a dab of antisieze on the threads .thumb up

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Why? Are the replacement bolts that weak? The black one look great though!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I know the aluminum bolts aren't as strong as steel bet how much difference is it? Has anyone broken the bolts from the replacement kits?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts