Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to darken up my XR, either black powdercoat or black chrome most of the bike. Does anyone have any experiance with black chrome? I have read the black nickel is a little weak as far as wear goes, but there is a shop near here that specializes in actual black chrome.

Any pics would be great.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
I had everything done in Black/Night or burnt chrome on my 04 Vrod. I had Engine covers, shock lowers, even the screaming eagle exhaust all heat shields etc done in one batch. It held up fine and looked great however it’s not as dark as the name might imply. The other issue is you need to do everything at once. I've seen others who did it in stages and it each batch may not always match exactly so be cautious on whats mixed in each batch.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Joseph, didn't think about the different batch/ different shade aspect. I'm aware of the "lightness" of the black chrome, but it does add a bit of darkness to it.

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
fishslapr... No question, it is darker than standard chrome and I thought it looked awesome on my Vivid black Vrod. For me the only downside was the extended downtime to have it all done at once. I had wheels done as well. It does create a nice look

·
Registered
161 Posts
joseph......post pics of your black chrome V-Rod......please!

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Im not real good at this but I will give it a try. As you can see it all depends on how the light hits the chrome as well. I sold the vrod and my wing when I purchsaed my XCT

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for posting those Joseph- the coloring is nice & subtle-exactly what I am looking for-

·
Premium Member
607 Posts
Before you go for your bid complete a detailed list of what needs to be done. Don't forget foot controls, handle bars, brake and clutch levers, exhaust system, shields, engine covers, and so on. It's easy to forget some of the smaller items.

One other note. Black chrome is a bit harder to keep a smudge/streak free shine. No big deal and to me well worth it. Just trying to give you what little knowledge I have from my experience.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Before you go for your bid complete a detailed list of what needs to be done. Don't forget foot controls, handle bars, brake and clutch levers, exhaust system, shields, engine covers, and so on. It's easy to forget some of the smaller items.

One other note. Black chrome is a bit harder to keep a smudge/streak free shine. No big deal and to me well worth it. Just trying to give you what little knowledge I have from my experience.
I appreciate that, Joseph.

yeah, that list you speak of is going to take some time to figure out. I think most items will get powdercoated black, with some black chrome accents. Gonna have to take my time figuring out exactly what I want. I'm sure I'll change my mind many many times!:crzy: I am very fortunate, my brother runs a machine shop & can do just about anything, & he gets great deals from his powdercoater on his personal stuff.

Thanks again for posting your pics & taking time to reply...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts