Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a set of what I think are Santa Rosa Rippers on my Vegas. I bought the bike used and have had it for a few months. The bike looks brand new except the exhaust looks ugly. Whatever it is coated with looks thin and almost rusty. What is the best way to bring the pipes back to life looks wise with some hopeful durability?

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Durability wise, jet-hot ceramic coating or powdercoating,
Cheapest would be VHT heat paint but it wont last.
Suppose you could heat wrap em also if youre into that racer type look.

·
Premium Member
6,215 Posts
Buy new exaust ... Not that expensive ..

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Unless you go chrome no black pipes don't look good for very long the paint bakes off.
Send them out to Jet hot this winter there ceramic coating lasts (lifetime warrenty) and cuts heat dramatically. I have a set of head pipes for my Magnum there right now cost me $165.00 plus shipping.
The cost is $40.00 per foot

·
Registered
131 Posts
I use the Rustoleum 2000 heat paint on the ugly part of the exhaust thats underneath the frame and motor. It's held up for 10,000 miles; that's worth a shot for $7.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Black header coat the last foot or so. Wrap the rest with black exhaust wrap and then shoot the wrap with the black high temp sealer. Even if the paint lasts 1 season, a quick hit with fine steel wool and re-shoot the last foot.......

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
header painting

use a quality high heat paint + bake-cure the parts in an oven as instructed. a friend + former drag racer-bakery owner cured his headers in his big baking ovens, it lasted for a long time + was very chip resistant. wrapping will finish the rusting, few report on its bad effects.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got ahold of Jet Hot and it's 220 plus shipping which isn't bad at all. Will most likely do it this winter. Thank you all for your replies =)

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
Smart move you will love it! A few extra bucks upfront will keep you from having to pull and repaint your pipes every year to keep looking like new.

If you have removable baffles take them out before shipping. Also any mounting nuts/bolts put a throwaway bolt/nut in them or you will have to run a tap through them to clean out the threads.

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
Pot Belly stove paint?
Used pot belly black on Ratbikes over the years,
Looks even hotter with brushmarks..
Doesnt last long though.
As I have few different sprayguns, one loaded permanently with underbody black and another with black epoxy etch primer, which I use as a base on all my repairs,
I'd just grab the black gun anytime my ol xs650 exhausts needed a refresher course, same with the 750/4 or the Kwaka or the Bol d'or 900 Honda.
All the zorsts on my ratters would get a spruce up occasionally.:)
Now my world is chrome and metalflake for I have VICTORY!
Im off for a ride!
Jet-hot unless shes a rat.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
OMG that looks amazing!!!

·
Premium Member
8,961 Posts
yeah!...how much was that?
(still like my chrome after a lifetime of black)

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
OMG that looks amazing!!!

I think I paid about $160 in 2013, graphics and all. It was done by Technicoat and he works with Rev Dynamics. Check out their site too. Rev is in the back room of his Dad's Vic dealership.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts