Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much black smoke out the exhaust is acceptable? A big puff when you rev it, a little puff or none?

I just installed Hacker Lake Pipes on my bike. I also have a Llodyz PTS set at +4, Torque Tube intake and a VFCIII. I don't remember the settings I put it at. I started it up and got a pretty big puff of black smoke. So I dialed the VFCIII back a hair and now I get a small puff. Its -20 here today so taking it for a test ride is out of the question. I started with the "stage 1 and open air box" settings. At least its a bit rich versus being a little lean...

Attachments

·
13,177 Posts
when and if summer ever gets here you will have to readjust your VFC cause the water in the air will be different.
Write Rylan at the Vic shop and he will give you a good starting point for your VFC make sure you'll him every detail of the bike. What you hold back will only hurt you.
http://thevicshop.com/Contact.html

·
Premium Member
4,901 Posts
When the engine is less than fully warmed up... that means running for 5-8 minutes... it is running in an enrichened state and yes, black smoke is a byproduct of that.

Once the engine is warmed up, only then can you judge the state of the tune. In 20 degree weather it may NEVER reach full operating temperature.

Patience....

·
Registered
530 Posts
I may be out to lunch here, but no one told me my new pipes would smoke for the first bit. Is it that new pipe smoke? I panicked that first ride home, because I had never had new pipes before.

LOL just a shot in the dark.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Correct me if I'm wrong but new pipe smoke is usually white in color because of the oils burning off once the pipes get hot. I was getting black smoke when I revved it which tells me it is running rich. I didn't run it very long because there isn't much gas in it.

I didn't think of that, but yes, most motors run rich during the warm up cycle. Thanks for reminding me of that. I backed down the VFC for now. Maybe if spring ever comes and I can ride it, I will be able to play with the tune more. Thanks fellas.

·
13,177 Posts
fargoben67

when you store your bike alway have a full tank of gas to prevent condensation build up in tank.
Don't run your bike in the winter months it does more harm then good.
Come this spring before you ride put some sea foam in the tank to break down any water you might have in it

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I normally do keep the tank full and leave it to hibernate all winter. I just got the bike a couple weeks ago. This is my 3rd bike. Picked up my 4th at the same time (for the wife). The low fuel light was on when I got it. And can you blame me for starting up my new to me bike with my new pipes on it? :D cheers

·
Registered
530 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong but new pipe smoke is usually white in color because of the oils burning off once the pipes get hot. I was getting black smoke when I revved it which tells me it is running rich. I didn't run it very long because there isn't much gas in it.

I didn't think of that, but yes, most motors run rich during the warm up cycle. Thanks for reminding me of that. I backed down the VFC for now. Maybe if spring ever comes and I can ride it, I will be able to play with the tune more. Thanks fellas.
you're probably right, like I say...shot in the dark.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
In the middle of July with ambient air temperatures of well over 85F my Vic still smokes a lot on start-up. It has little to do with pipes, mine is absolutely stock on air intake and exhaust. The engine fuel mix is enriched with a cold engine, you could think of it a sort of a choke for our fuel injected engines. Any time I want I can blacken my fingers by just brushing them on a cold exhaust of a non-running engine. (Cold because I don't want to burn my fingers)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts