Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, as title suggests, I am somewhat anal about riding a clean bike, and therefore clean it after every ride.

I have noticed black soot accumulating on the rear wheel after every ride. I just came back from a ride and sure enough there's enough accumulation to leave a mark when I pass a finger.

Thought if might be brake dust or even belt residue, but I can find the same material if I pass a finger inside the end of my pipes.

I am riding mostly country roads and hardly ever stuck at a red light, therefore am wondering how the heck can anything leaving the pipes actually end up on the rear wheel at speeds?!?

How should I read this???

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
Are you running a fuel controller? Could it be rich? Maybe it’s brake dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you running a fuel controller? Could it be rich? Maybe it’s brake dust.

Well, could be brake dust.. I just bought the bike T the end of September. So I have no idea if it is running a fuel controller. Is there anyway for me to find out if it is running something???? I will try to post pics.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
What bike, year and miles, mods to engine?

How many miles? Have you ever checked the air filter? If the air filter is dirty it can make it run RICH. In other words, it will not get enough air. Just like in the old days of carbs if the choke was stuck closed they would smoke black. If the engine is running toooo rich weather it be dirty air filter or to rich of mixture from a fuel controller being set to rich and or even faulty fuel injectors an engine can smoke black and leave residue on tail pipes, wheels , bumpers, fenders, etc. (Just an idea).

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Air filter is a brand new K&N, the spark plug wires and spark plugs are new also.

The more I investigate, the more it points to the belt.

The bike as about 19000 miles.

Here's a few pics. In the first one, Keep in mind my wheel was totally clean. After a 60 miles run, you can see my finger mark on the wheel.

On the second pic, you can see my finger with the residue.

On the third pic, my finger with residue from my pipes.

And last pic, my finger with residue from my belt's threads.

Suddenly, I feel it is belt residue that end-up on my wheel.

Bike has 19000 miles. Should I change the belt even if it looks and feels solid????

Is there a lubrication that I can use to help the belt??

Or am I kidding myself and someone knows what this is???

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
That's road dust, I get that too and so does everyone else. Ever wonder what happens as tires wear? They turn to dust that settles on the road surface. And what about exhaust particulates? That too settles on the road too. My advice to you: Only follow street cleaners. :)

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
What BBob said, 100%.

And don't put anything on your belt! My CCT drive belt has 54K miles on it and it looks like new. Of course I've never cleaned it, brushed or sprayed anything on it nor has it ever seen a toothbrush and soapy water. Make sure your drive belt is aligned properly and is adjusted to the loose side of the spec and you'll be fine. My drive belt has never squeaked or made other noises at all either. The belt gets rinsed off enough when I get caught in the rain.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
My belt has chirped. Before my first tire change. No amount of aligning seemed to help.

I was changing my own tires, including mounting. I took the pulley off of the rear wheel and rotated it one bolt.

My belt has never chirped since, and I am on my 4th rear tire, and I installed the rear wheel myself every time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allright, I won't worry about it.

You know, when you get a toy similar but different than what you are used to, you tend to double check if unknown phenomenons are the nature of the new toy.

In this case, my VTX was driveshaft and liquid cooled. It also had a Cobra 250 rear on a 18X8.5 inch rear wheel. Never ever did it gather anywhere close to that much road grime in a 60 miles ride. And I was riding the same country road. That is why I was wondering about the belt. I like to adress symptoms before they become problems.

Thanks for all your replies.

·
Premium Member
8,769 Posts
I use a natural zinc sunblock, goes on my nose and cheeks creamy white.
After a full days riding it can turn almost black from the tyre residue Ricz talks about.
Moreso riding in a pack all day.
I got a big shock first time I saw myself in a mirror and understood why I was getting strange looks at gas stations...its a filthy world at times out on the road.
Dont stress, Just ride...

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I use a natural zinc sunblock, goes on my nose and cheeks creamy white.
After a full days riding it can turn almost black from the tyre residue Ricz talks about.
Moreso riding in a pack all day.
I got a big shock first time I saw myself in a mirror and understood why I was getting strange looks at gas stations...its a filthy world at times out on the road.
Dont stress, Just ride...
Will do, thanks

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
Allright, I won't worry about it.

You know, when you get a toy similar but different than what you are used to, you tend to double check if unknown phenomenons are the nature of the new toy.

Thanks for all your replies.
No dumb questions. People have various concerns like this on all the MC forums.

Vic's do tend to run a bit rich at various rpm's and while warming up or maybe when giving it some quick throttle. If this is belt dust; it would seem to be a bit much IMHO. It is amazing how much junk is floating in the air just above some busy roads. From tire particles to exhaust particles to dust particles; it really can make ones face dirty quickly when not wearing a face shield or using a windshield.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No dumb questions. People have various concerns like this on all the MC forums.

Vic's do tend to run a bit rich at various rpm's and while warming up or maybe when giving it some quick throttle. If this is belt dust; it would seem to be a bit much IMHO. It is amazing how much junk is floating in the air just above some busy roads. From tire particles to exhaust particles to dust particles; it really can make ones face dirty quickly when not wearing a face shield or using a windshield.
Yeah, what lifted the flag is mostly the color of the deposit, it is very fine and completely black. Not light brownish dust like color.

Will go for a ride again later today. Perfect riding weather. Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy riding the bike... I'm just paying attention to details.

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
When I was buying my XCT, I test rode a Hammer. Definitely a very fun bike.

·
Registered
12,201 Posts
Get one of those mop like things for the dashboards of cars. I have one and use it on my wheels after each ride. The rest of the bike gets a going over with a California Duster or a super fluffy microfiber cloth.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Sweet bike. Probably doesn't help that you have blue rims, dark colours always show dust easily. Ever had dark wood floors? Looks great for about two hours after cleaning. I have black rims on my Ducati and am wiping after every ride, it is brake dust primarily.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Sweet bike. Probably doesn't help that you have blue rims, dark colours always show dust easily. Ever had dark wood floors? Looks great for about two hours after cleaning. I have black rims on my Ducati and am wiping after every ride, it is brake dust primarily.
Good point.. Didn't see it like that. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts