Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 72 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is my 2009 Victory Vegas 8-ball. ALMOST all blacked out. I need to black out the speedometer and figure out what to do with the forks. Recently, I just took the cheese wedges off and I painted them flat black, in addition I removed the reflectors from the lower forks. Anyone have suggestions for the forks? I am thinking either the covers, maybe the contrast cut, or wrapping them with black vinyl until I decided what to do.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/img0317jja.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/820/img0314kn.jpg/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/22/img0315ul.jpg/

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
In addition to painting the wedges, I drilled out the dimples. I am installing an LED kit this weekend and wanted the LED to shine from behind the weges.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Very nice. :clap:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your rear fender looks like it has more clearance than stock? Did you change the rear shock? If so, what did you use and how do you like it?
I bought the bike used. I believe it is the stock shock. I do have a 200 tire on the rear which is slightly lower profile than the stock 180, this could be creating the larger clearance.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
If that's your garage in the background please mess it up a little, it makes me feel bad seeing such neatness.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If that's your garage in the background please mess it up a little, it makes me feel bad seeing such neatness.
LOL. I had just finished cleaning my garage as it has become a storage ground for a couple of my buddies bikes. Now I have 3 Victories, a Harley, and a Honda sitting in my garage.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The bike does look good. How are you going to black out the upper forks??
Not sure, might do the kewlmetal contrast cut fork tubes. But they do not make the contrast cut for an 8-ball for the lower portion, only straight black. So I am not 100% sure yet. Might buy some vinyl and wrap them first to see if I like it.

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts
Not sure, might do the kewlmetal contrast cut fork tubes. But they do not make the contrast cut for an 8-ball for the lower portion, only straight black. So I am not 100% sure yet. Might buy some vinyl and wrap them first to see if I like it.
Or try PlastiDip - easy to apply, easy to remove if you hate it, and easy to maintain. Home Depot carries it.

6535a368-9f0c-4959-9b30-2340e858de3d_300.jpg

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or try PlastiDip - easy to apply, easy to remove if you hate it, and easy to maintain. Home Depot carries it.

View attachment 9387
Just watched a video on it, looks simple. I took my photo and I photoshopped it with straight black forks...

I also did a cut and paste to use the contrast cut upper fork tubes with black lower what do you think?

and here is one with all contrast cuts tubes

·
Registered
26 Posts
I plasti-dipped my speedo and I think it turned out very well. I also plasti-dipped the clamps and peg extensions for highway pegs. It would probably work out nicely on the upper forks, mine seems to be holding up well. Another plus is if you end up not liking it, it really does peel right off, and you're out less than $10. On that same note if you end up masking an area then painting, cut along the tape with a razor then peel the tape off (experienced that oops on the spedo bezel, I knew better I just got excited and stopped thinking.)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I plasti-dipped my speedo and I think it turned out very well. I also plasti-dipped the clamps and peg extensions for highway pegs. It would probably work out nicely on the upper forks, mine seems to be holding up well. Another plus is if you end up not liking it, it really does peel right off, and you're out less than $10. On that same note if you end up masking an area then painting, cut along the tape with a razor then peel the tape off (experienced that oops on the spedo bezel, I knew better I just got excited and stopped thinking.)
you have any pics you could send me of the speedo? i want to do mine as well. figure if i am blacking everying, i might as well do EVERYTHING. might even try the clutch and brake.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Here are two cell phone pics.
As far as the levers Plasti-dip and paint would not hold up.
BigRed188 and I have talked about them several times and one of us is probably going to send them off for powder coating and see how that works out. Another option would be having them anodized or black oxidized (im not sure if they are steel or aluminum)

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Here are two cell phone pics.
As far as the levers Plasti-dip and paint would not hold up.
BigRed188 and I have talked about them several times and one of us is probably going to send them off for powder coating and see how that works out. Another option would be having them anodized or black oxidized (im not sure if they are steel or aluminum)
the speedo looks great. did you notice if the plasti-dip adds size to the speedo? i am nervous if i plasti-dip the lower forks, the shocks won't work as well.

you are probably right about the levers. they would definitely be better powder coated.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Hey Turk, these were done with vinyl. Works good.
thumb up

1 - 20 of 72 Posts