Victory Motorcycle Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there. So my 2003 Vegas is blowing my ignition/turn signal fuse when I turn on the key. My left side signals stopped working but I made it home fine. Now when I turn the key on, after the fuel pump runs, the fuse blows. When I push the turn signal switch the fuse blows. No idea what caused this. I removed both front bulbs but still blowing the fuse. I disconnected the rear harness but still blowing the ignition fuse. Could the ignition switch be bad? Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
182 Posts
This is where you get the voltmeter out and start tracing continuity. Possible you have a bad switch, or a wire shorted to the frame, or . . . .

I suggest you disconnect the battery and use the ohm-meter to look for shorts. Otherwise, you should buy stock in the fuse company before proceeding. You can download the shop manual and schematics on this site (search for manuals). Deliberate testing and patience will find your problem.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So if I am understanding you can turn the switch on, but after the pump funs (approx 15 sec) the fuse goes. Typicaly a fuse blows because of a short or in your case it is sounding as if there is a large draw which is exceding the rating of the fuse. So if you think maybe its the fuel pump, unplug it and try the key. Also beware of the cheap chinese knock off fuses. They are not allways what they say they are. Couple videos on you tube. WE tested a couple 5 amp ones in class. One pulled almost 8 or 9 amps and the other I remember over 10 !! What you could try instead while testing is a circuit breaker type fuse. It will open, and after a few minutes it cools off and returns to normal.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
Continuing to burn up fuses testing the circuit could potentially cause more problems. Repeatedly hitting wiring and possibly downstream electrical components with amps it's not used to isn't healthy.

Use the meter and prints to find to find the load. If you're not sure how, canvas your friends for some help or look for someone in your area who is a travelling/mobile bike mechanic who knows how. It's not a bike specific problem so you don't have to find someone strictly looking after Victory's. (or bikes for that matter)

Seriously, you could be doing irrepairable harm continually replacing fuses. Why not just put in a bigger fuse and watch to see where the fire starts?(just in case, I'm kidding. )

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone, I appreciate the responses, So I did some wiring repair under my rear fender and now the fuse has stopped blowing and my right front and rear signals are working fine but my left front and rear are only lighting up and not blinking. I replaced the turn signal relay in the fuse box but a mechanic said that there may be a turn signal module that has gone bad. I've done my research but can't seem to find out if there is such a thing on my Vegas.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts