Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No, not on the bike, on me. I'm so pizzed right now I can't describe it.
Brand new XRLE, just over 700 miles on it and suddenly it won't start. It'll crank and crank and crank, but no start. Story goes like this.

Washed the bike yesterday, but did not remove any covers or the seat and did not use any direct jet type spray, but a "shower" setting on my hoze nozzel. Dried the bike and left it set overnight. Pushed it out of the garage this morning and waxed it up all nice and pretty like. Got on it to move it back into the garage and it barely started and when it did it ran like a broke dog and would hardly move. Had to go run an errand and was gone about an hour. Came home and it started right up, but only ran for about 10 seconds before stalling out. Won't even start now.

I called my Vic dealer and we were talking through checking all the plugs, etc., but everything seems fine. He had to get off the phone to help in shop customers so here I sit, dead in the water.

I think it's not getting gas, but I'm about the furthest thing from a mechanic as they come...especially for bikes. I'm not hearing the usual "whine" of what I think is the fuel pump when I turn on the key/ignition. I do hear the relay kick over and I do hear some sound coming from the area of the fuel pump, but it's not what I normally hear when starting up.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Anyone in the Southern Maryland area that would be willing to look at it, I'll gladly pay. I was planning on some good riding this evening and tomorrow.

Thanks.

UPDATE: Well, the not starting was an easy fix: Blown fuse. Replace that and she started right up, but still running like an absolute POS. Took it aroud the block (which took effort) and by time I got home the pipes were smoking and so hot they burned the underside of my bags. Something just is not right.

·
13,180 Posts
I would go to the dealer and talk to the owner and tell him that you just spent $20 some thousand dollars and the guy on the phone had no time for you. They should of jump in there car and came out and helped you.

Your plugs are probably shot from trying to start it so much. Get new ones no matter what they look like. If your dealer is not open remember Honda and the others use NGK plugs.
Second pull your oil dip stick and see if you can smell gas. With out being there I don't know how many times you pumped the throttle but if you did it enough you might have gas in your oil and thats not good. So if you smell gas do a oil change.

Where ever that fuzz is at maybe some how cover it or something cause if you get caught in rain and I pray know one does the fuzz my just blow on you again .

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would go to the dealer and talk to the owner and tell him that you just spent $20 some thousand dollars and the guy on the phone had no time for you. They should of jump in there car and came out and helped you.

Your plugs are probably shot from trying to start it so much. Get new ones no matter what they look like. If your dealer is not open remember Honda and the others use NGK plugs.
Second pull your oil dip stick and see if you can smell gas. With out being there I don't know how many times you pumped the throttle but if you did it enough you might have gas in your oil and thats not good. So if you smell gas do a oil change.

Where ever that fuzz is at maybe some how cover it or something cause if you get caught in rain and I pray know one does the fuzz my just blow on you again .
Dealer / Owner / Mechanic...all the same person. :)
I understand them being busy and to his credit he called me back after they closed the shop. He had out of state customers in the store all day.
He talked me through some things and ended up pulling the plugs. The rear plug was black as coal and the front plug was clean, but soaking wet. Seems that water got down in the cyl when I washed the bike...even as careful as I was. Anyway, I cleaned both plugs and he had me crank it over with plugs removed so that it would blow out the water. Put the plugs back in and it started fine and ran "better". Took it out for a run and it was indeed better, but still not right....very much under powered. Went home and cleaned the plugs again and then headed to the store and bought new ones. Put those in and same issue...running what I call under powered...very sluggish. Not as bad as before, but still bad.
Another strange thing...the pipes are getting so hot right below the forward part of the saddle bags that when I stop smoke rolls out from under the bags and when I take them off, they are hot as hell and the leather is almost melting.

When I had it in for the 500 mile service a week ago I had them put a Power Commander Five on and do some stage one "like" pipe work. Picked it up Tuesday and it ran and sounded great (I wanted a little louder than stock, but not super loud). It now seems to be much louder than when I picked it up and is backfiring much more.

Something just not right...and I'm disappointed about it. Going to have to put it in the truck and haul it up on Tuesday. :(

·
Registered
2,699 Posts
I think the closest member to you on here is BigSeaDaddy and he seems very well versed in motorcycle maintenance. You may want to send him a PM to see if he can help in the future.

Also if your pipes are getting that hot your tuner may be off.

·
Registered
62 Posts
As XRLE owner I'm interested on how this turns out. But one thing strikes me as a possibility, especially since the bag is getting so hot and that they altered the pipes....check to see if the exhaust is leaking where they slip onto the pipe..right in front of the bag. That might mess with the PCV also.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
As XRLE owner I'm interested on how this turns out. But one thing strikes me as a possibility, especially since the bag is getting so hot and that they altered the pipes....check to see if the exhaust is leaking where they slip onto the pipe..right in front of the bag. That might mess with the PCV also.
Thanks, I'll check that out. Something had to have happened. Picked it up Tuesday and it ran great. Wed, Thurs, Fri, all great. Today, crap sammich.
Worst part is, dealer is an hour away and I know I'll have to drop it off and leave it.

·
Registered
223 Posts
If I were you I would stop running the bike now. Sounds like the power commander they installed has failed. And that is what blew the fuse. Something they have done isn't right. When you washed it you made it show up. Better at home than on a ride in the rain.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I were you I would stop running the bike now. Sounds like the power commander they installed has failed. And that is what blew the fuse. Something they have done isn't right. When you washed it you made it show up. Better at home than on a ride in the rain.
Yes, true. Funny thing though, I did ride in the rain on Wednesday and had no problems. I get what you mean though.
I would not be nearly as upset if I thought for a minute that I could haul it up on Tuesday and wait....even if for a long time, while they fixed it. I'm nearly 100% certain that I'm going to have to leave it with them which puts me out of a bike and needing to take off work to make another trip to go pick it up.
Huge Frustration.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Put new plugs in and ran for about 10 miles...still running like crap.
Pulled the plugs and the rear plug looks "normal" with a little graying...making it obvious that it's making spark. The forward plug looks brand spanking new like it just came out of the box, obviously not making spark.

What makes it worse is that it's a perfect day for riding and I can hear bikes going up and down the highway closest to my house. :(

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Please when all is done change the oil
Yep. Since it's going to have to go to the shop I'm just going to have them do that while it's there.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Could be a couple of things going on here and both sound related to the exhaust and pcv work the dealer did. My first bet is an exhaust leak, pipe not tight or misaligned where they installed the slip on. That needs to be fixedfirst, then deal with a possible problem with the power commander.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
could the coils be the culprit??

·
Registered
112 Posts
Sounds like a issue with the power commander to me. I have seen them have weird problems on other bikes before. Especially if you are seeing the issue with the plugs where one is burning and the other looks brand new. I would look up install instructions on the power commander and just retrace the installation to see if you have any loose wires, burned wires, and that the ground is actually grounded.

As for the heat issue I would worry about that second as it could be related to your major problem.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
I'm reading more and more troubles... due to people getting this great motorcycle and then "making it better"... how's that working out for some of you?

I must admit to some mods myself, I added fisheye mirrors to the stock mirrors.

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, Lance. We have a bunch of Victory owners trying to fix what ain't broke. Then they really have something to fix.

·
Registered
223 Posts
From what I have read on this. Sounds like when you washed your bike water got into something. Fried the power commander and blew out the fuse. You replaced the fuse the water has dried so the short isn't shorting out. But the power commander is still telling the bike the wrong info. If the pipes are getting as hot as you have discribed, your bike is running very lean and could do damage to the valves. I know it's a pain to have to drop your bike off at the dealers and lose some pay. but I don't see any other optoins. They should do your repairs for free. And you could do your best to make them feel bad about your lost pay. Please post what they find.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have seen a few people have problems with power commanders. Some had problems start from having low voltage and scrambling there program. As anything there are good ones and crappy ones. Some of the gear heads here could tell you the better programers to get. As for me I went with the Victory program that came with my pipe. It's a safe program but can't be ajusted by me. But my bike runs goods and can get a speeding ticket any time I want.

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bad Power Commander, specifically the Auto Tuner. They are not sure what casused it, but removed it and put the bike back to stock. They'll ship the PC off for review/testing and let me know when I can come back to have a new on put on.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts