Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
12,970 Posts
we road from Myrtle Beach all the way up the Blue Ridge to Getty's Burg. Saw the civil war site very cool.
Wardens give out speeding tickets on the park way. $500 bucks yes thats what they are.
You can go around a corner and find a motor home stopped in the middle of the road or you'll find 3 or 4 dear in the middle of the road.
Great trip for sure

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
i live 5 miles from the parkway and ride it all the time. its made for motorcycles. like Johnny said. rangers will take you if you go 60. 55 they will leave you alone. the speed limit is 45 in most places. some areas have 35 for a short distance. thats where they will get you. and its not a $500 ticket unless youi get one for going 20 over the posted limit. or you piss off the cop. :) you can get a map of the Blue ridge parkway, and a map of the mile markers and exits. PM if if you want to
jim

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
by the way, the BlueRidge only goes as far north as WaynesBoro, the Skyline Drive takes over from their and goes to Front Royal, VA. That is a real nice stretch of roads

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still looking for someone who has the 6 set of maps for the rides in this area. I figure someone must have bought them and now doesn't need them anymore?

·
Registered
56 Posts
I just received my 9 map set in the mail yesterday. Great info, gas, hotels, roads. The whole Southeast only $46, there are so many side roads to ride it would take a year of weekends to ride them all. I can understand with you being in Mn. you may not use them but once, heres my advice, take it or leave, doesn't matter to me one way or the other. Myself and 3 guys from work rode the whole ride last year, Skyline Drive at Front Royal, Va, all the way down to Blue Ridge Parkway and on to Cherokee NC where the BRP ends or starts depending on your point of view. It took us about 6 days, we didn't do any side trips until after we ended in Cherokee, (Dragon and a few others). If you only plan on riding the parkway with no side trips, you don't need the maps, get a brochure and map of BRP online or almost anywhere. However, if you want to include some side trips, the purchase price of the maps are well worth it, it shows places to stay, motorcycle shops, motorcycle friendly places and most important, where the gas stations are on the side roads because the Parkways have no gas stops or any commercial stops of any kind for important things, like food. To sum it up, if your staying on the Parkway, getting off at larger towns and cities to stay the night, you don't need the maps. If your going to take some side trips for some even greater riding, get the maps. It is a beautiful ride, some people say the Southern half has more twist turns and hills, which is true, but its all beautiful to see. Just for clarification, I don't work for or know the people that own Americaridesmaps. I did get my maps in about 3 days. Enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
477 Posts
by the way, the BlueRidge only goes as far north as WaynesBoro, the Skyline Drive takes over from their and goes to Front Royal, VA. That is a real nice stretch of roads
Very pretty up there, I'm about 15min from Skyline drive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I ordered the "100 best rides" map for that area and it was shipped last week so I am anxiously awaiting its arrival to fine tune the potential routes I have selected.

I created a website to allow my fellow riders to check out these potential rides. Check it yourself and give me your comments:

https://sites.google.com/site/smokymountainsmotorcycletrip/home

1 - 8 of 8 Posts