Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If any of you folks are planning on riding the BlueRidge Parkway in Virginia, be careful starting about mile marker 120 to about 140. They are laying chipseal down and there is LOTS of gravel all over the raod. they are supposed to be done by July 4. Last year when they did the northern part of the BlueRidge they did a great job. They put down two layers, rolled the hell out of it , then vacuumed up the excess stone. then came by and put a seal down on it and painted lines. I hope they do as good of a job as they did last year.... but be careful until they get to that point.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
Last time I was on there, I got on just before Cherokee NC and drove it for about 80 miles and then turned around and headed back over the mountains into Gatlinburg.

·
13,038 Posts
Here in MN. they do it a lot they call it seal coating. They put down a coat of oil with pea rock over the top of it. They let it sit for a good month letting the cars drive on it and pack it in. Then they come by with a street sweeper and clean it up. Believe me drive belts don't like its the worst think you can ride on

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here in MN. they do it a lot they call it seal coating. They put down a coat of oil with pea rock over the top of it. They let it sit for a good month letting the cars drive on it and pack it in. Then they come by with a street sweeper and clean it up. Believe me drive belts don't like its the worst think you can ride on
They dont roll it ? here is it liquid asphalt they lay down, then roll it, and repeat, then sweep it up, then seal it.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last time I was on there, I got on just before Cherokee NC and drove it for about 80 miles and then turned around and headed back over the mountains into Gatlinburg.
you should ride the entire Parkway.. really nice :)

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
you should ride the entire Parkway.. really nice :)
Its usually my mom that goes with me and last time we made it to the intersection that has the junction to keep going on the ridge, turn left and I cant remember what was that way or turn right and get you back to Cherokee.

A even cooler drive was going out of Townsend and heading to look rock and the tower there. Cant remember where we turned off at but came back though Maryville and then back to Townsend and then wears valley.

·
Registered
564 Posts
"Tar & Chip"! First the tar truck sprays hot tar, then they cover with "blue chip" stone and then roll. Been the standard for country roads for a looooooooooong time.

·
Registered
1,534 Posts
A number of us road the BRP from Asheville to Cherokee today. They were just starting the chip/seal/gravel process on the ~20 miles westward from the west side of Asheville (Hwy 191 entrance onto the BRP). They had not put down any gravel as of today but all the signs were up and lots of workers were prepping things to begin this later in the week.

·
Registered
781 Posts
Good to hear they are doing that NOW. They were not doing any kind of rolling or cleanup at the start of this project. We were stuck in that crap for miles north and south of Peaks of Otter last year. Supposedly the Park Service website was almost brought down with the volume of complaints.. I'm sure that is at least partially responsible for their sudden motivation to do something right..

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good to hear they are doing that NOW. They were not doing any kind of rolling or cleanup at the start of this project. We were stuck in that crap for miles north and south of Peaks of Otter last year. Supposedly the Park Service website was almost brought down with the volume of complaints.. I'm sure that is at least partially responsible for their sudden motivation to do something right..
i actually called the local new station and they did a story on it. Congressman Goodlatte got involved it as well. The Peaks of Otter is great now, but south from the Roanoke exit down is a mess.

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
"Tar & Chip"! First the tar truck sprays hot tar, then they cover with "blue chip" stone and then roll. Been the standard for country roads for a looooooooooong time.
not exactly the same process .. but close :)

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
That crap is no good in a drive belt.
They use it here too.
Ill turn around rather than ride it.
At least now with my deeper Kingpin front fender stuff is a lot less prone to coming off my front wheel and heading into the drive belt.
Been lucky really last belt I changed at 60,000mile had a central pea size hole for 30,000 of that no drama.
Only really changed it cos I made major engine mods and already had a brand new belt I bought off [email protected] for a great price.
Chip seal is **** seal till its settled and even then theres loose **** off from the car tracks.
What can I do about it? SFA !
So I pick another route.
Most of my riding is for pleasure so its no drama to change route.
Suns out..

·
Registered
433 Posts
That crap is no good in a drive belt.
They use it here too.
Ill turn around rather than ride it.
A..
I ran 1/2 miles in some newish chip seal. Had belt chirps the next day. Checked everything and washed off the pully and belt. Shock air was 15 psi. Ran psi up to 30 and all noise was gone. The belt is tracking more so to one side but still tracks off the sides during inspection.

·
Registered
471 Posts
A even cooler drive was going out of Townsend and heading to look rock and the tower there. Cant remember where we turned off at but came back though Maryville and then back to Townsend and then wears valley.
That would be the Foothills Parkway, an 18 mile link from Walland to the upper Chilhowee lake. It’s a beautiful stretch of road with fantastic views of the Smoky’s. Apparently they will soon open another stretch of the Foothills that links to the east of Walland. Not sure when though.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
That would be the Foothills Parkway, an 18 mile link from Walland to the upper Chilhowee lake. It’s a beautiful stretch of road with fantastic views of the Smoky’s. Apparently they will soon open another stretch of the Foothills that links to the east of Walland. Not sure when though.
Going next time for a Saturday to Saturday getaway, I really hope the dates I picked are somewhat calmer and not as busy as it has been in the past, shooting for 9/15 and then heading home on 9/22. I know we are going to spend a day over in Ashville and maybe go see Biltmore, I was 15 years old the last time we was there, but $67 to go walk around a huge estate...eh...maybe not.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Going next time for a Saturday to Saturday getaway, I really hope the dates I picked are somewhat calmer and not as busy as it has been in the past, shooting for 9/15 and then heading home on 9/22. I know we are going to spend a day over in Ashville and maybe go see Biltmore, I was 15 years old the last time we was there, but $67 to go walk around a huge estate...eh...maybe not.
I was there this past February (on a very warm day), for my second-ever visit, and enjoyed it. Very impressive place, in terms of grounds, construction, design, art, history, etc. Yep, that's a fair chunk of change, but so are a lot of things, and that place is unique. I think if you shop around, you can get discounts of $10 - $20 without having to sell your soul.

·
Premium Member
1,986 Posts
I was there this past February (on a very warm day), for my second-ever visit, and enjoyed it. Very impressive place, in terms of grounds, construction, design, art, history, etc. Yep, that's a fair chunk of change, but so are a lot of things, and that place is unique. I think if you shop around, you can get discounts of $10 - $20 without having to sell your soul.
I can skip biltmore, I do wanna check out ashville, I always find myself looking for the little pawn shops and gun stores looking for weird stuff.

I cant remember if I need to buy a permit to film in the park, but I am going to try and get one. I'm going to post it up on my Youtube and Pateron page about my experiences of going down there for so long and my thoughts on other people going down there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts