Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a bluetooth mounted to the helmet? I do get the phone answering without having to pull over, but what else does it do for me? I really don't want to spend that kind of money just to answer a phone call.
I am not a technical type so I am asking for advice and help.

thanks in advance.:confused:

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
What are the advantages/disadvantages of having a bluetooth mounted to the helmet? I do get the phone answering without having to pull over, but what else does it do for me? I really don't want to spend that kind of money just to answer a phone call.

Non-Victory question about the generic BlueTooth (BT) Helmets available out there, right? If so, then it's not just the phone but also ANY BT-enabled device. That means that you can have a BT-enabled GPS that can tell you "turn right in 500 feet" in your helmet. You should also be able to listen to music from a separate device (say an IPod) and then also have a 3rd device (Samsung phone with BT capability) and all three "should" work seemlessly together but that's not always the case (because it's tech, right?)

If there was a way to link the on-board Victory systems (like control of radio, odometer,etc) to a BT Helmet, you may have more functions because BT works BOTH ways. Many BT devices have voice recognition so in theory you could have a single BT-enabled iPhone S (with Siri) with GPS and Pandora on it. You could then say "Find nightclubs" and it would provide you turn-by-turn directions to whichever nightclub you VERBALLY selected...

One caution - Not all BT helmets are the same. Some are VERY poor and some can't connect to certain devices so as with anything else, you often get what you pay for. A $150 BT helmet may not be of much use but a formal $250 BT system from Carda or others may do EVERYTHING you need but you have to pay for that BT system and then also buy a helmet.

·
Registered
34 Posts

Do you ride with someone? My husband and I have the SCALA communicators mounted in our helmets. While I haven't used the Bluetooth feature (I've thought about it, but not sure I want to be distracted by my phone), we do talk with each other while we ride.

The thing I like most about it is the safety aspect. We can give each other a heads up when we spot a road hazard or some crazy driver who may see us. It's come in handy before also when trying to decide which way we want to go. :)

I have used my iPod with it, but it didn't work as well as I had hoped... I'm not sure if I had the volume too low or if it was a technical issue, but I couldn't hear as well as I had hoped.

Not sure that helps, but I thought I'd share my experience.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
I was at the same crossroad a few weeks ago and almost purchased the SCALA Q2 BT to work with my NUVI 550 for both GPS & Music as well as communicating with my riding buddies but then when another friend wanted to ride with us and wasn't SCALA I realized I could have a potential problem as I ride with 3-4 differnt groups of riders. 1 group to work, another for quick rides localy and SCALA as well as other BT comms communicate with like models and don't cross to each other as I read it. Check the systems out for details and compatability. For me it was btwn SCALA and Sena http://www.cruisercustomizing.com/sena-bluetooth-headset-intercom-dual-pack/part/SENA-SMH10D-01

So, that said, I looked at the majority of folks I ride with and most had CB's so I went with the JM2003 for me and the wife to have intercom, CB for bike to bike and I am pulling the GPS into it via it's 1/8th aux in jack. So in addition to bike to bike, I have GPS calls, GPS fed music and in an emergancy with my phone synced via BT to the NUVI I can recieve a call if family has a crisis and I am on a ride. Will see where that takes me, installing over Turkey day. Hope this helps...
Tim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts