Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just want to ask what everyone thinks about BMW designing the USA 2-Man bobsled. I think it stinks, you mean to tell me not one American company couldn't step to the plate and designed a sled that was competitive. My wife said its north America BMW, so what ,its still a German company!!!! That's one reason I ride a Victory, its American made!:mad:

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think it's great marketing on the part of BMW. I'm quite sure an American company could have designed a great sled but I'd bet BMW made an offer the team couldn't refuse. I'm not bothered so much by BMW designing the sled as I am that no American Corp was willing to make that irresistible offer.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Just want to ask what everyone thinks about BMW designing the USA 2-Man bobsled. I think it stinks, you mean to tell me not one American company couldn't step to the plate and designed a sled that was competitive. My wife said its north America BMW, so what ,its still a German company!!!! That's one reason I ride a Victory, its American made!:mad:

Dont bother me one bit.

Id rather the team be competitive then slide down the hill on a orange crate with MADE IN USA stamped on it.

Maybe some US companies did submit designs and they sucked.....maybe none did.....who knows.

Either way ehh, no concern of mine.

Any plenty of BMWs are American made.

BMW United States

BMW Spartanburg factory

The BMW Manufacturing Company opened in 1994 and has been manufacturing all Z4 and X5 models, and more recently the X6 and X3, including those for export to Europe, on the same assembly line in Greer near Spartanburg, South Carolina, USA. In an average work day the company builds 600 vehicles: 500 X5s and 100 Z4s. The engines for these vehicles are built in Munich, Germany. BMWs with a VIN starting with "4US and 5US" are manufactured at Spartanburg.

In 2010 BMW announced that it would spend $750 million to expand operations at the Greer plant. This expansion will allow production of 240,000 vehicles a year and will make the plant the largest car factory in the United States by number of employees. USA market is BMW's biggest single market.

Currently, the facility produces all BMW X3, X5 and X6 models. The X4, which will be launched in 2014, will also be produced in Spartanburg.
Knowing that.....Id wager that BMW does more for the US economy then Victory does.....and even Polaris.

·
Registered
160 Posts
A quick check....

The BMW US Manufacturing Company in Spartanburg, South Carolina is BMW's only US production facility. The $2.2 billion plant, which employs 10,000, is one of the company’s global five-plant production network.

Polaris Industries is an American manufacturer of snowmobiles, ATV, and neighborhood electric vehicles. Polaris is based in the Minneapolis exurb of Medina, Minnesota, USA. The company also manufactures motorcycles through its Victory Motorcycles subsidiary and through the Indian Motorcycle subsidiary which it purchased in April 2011. Employees 3,000 (December 2010).

I checked the 2010 Form 10-K, Polaris Industries Inc. referenced with the United States Securities and Exchange Commission and that employee figure does include Victory.

So the entirety of Polaris and Victory (but not Indian because its 2010 numbers) employs 3,000 Americans.

BMW employs 10,000.

·
Registered
790 Posts
They won a medal for the first time in 62 years. Let them have the advertising. They build a good car and got the job done for the good old USA. If I was the driver of that sled, besides being scared shitless, I'd want the opportunity to win no matter what I was driving and all the effort and training.

Thank goodness he didn't have to wear the Under Armour Mach 39

·
Registered
12,318 Posts
There was an American company in the running for a sled design, but the team didn't care for Kitchenaid's proposal.:)

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
When the US team can get a top quality product, why would I care where they bought it? BMW has always been a very strong company when it comes to engineering and they just got done proving that with the bobsled, something way outside their normal business model. They also make some very high tech bikes, they are just not made for my desires. I do own a 1965 BMW bike from a time when they made everything in Germany and it is a jewel in its own right, although today it is badly outdated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts