Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My friend is a drink the cool-aid BMW guy. In jax fl. they just opened a Dealership selling both. So now BMW sales will be even lower once people test ride both bikes. Not too smart of BMW unless they just think the name will do it for them, and more draw from Vic bikes will boost sales. What say you?

Maurice

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
They are two different demographics. I doubt that too many BMW buyers will be persuaded to switch.And I suspect that Dealership figures the same way. The BMW is an awesome bike too in it's own right.
A lot of Motorcycle Dealerships are going to multi-brand stores.I suspect they need to in order to stay afloat. I don't think it's such a bad thing really, it gives a Dealer a little breathing room, not having to rely on only one product.

·
Premium Member
1,001 Posts
Have you ridden a comparable BMW? It's a whole different animal, and you know people like all sorts of animals.

I've had three BMW's in the past... and never liked the look of a 'Harley type' bike, until now, with the Victory... to me the lower riding position feels much more planted, and I'm happy I got the Cross Roads.. my Victory dealer in Bakersfield, CA also sells BMW and it's hard NOT to appreciate them too.

It's AMAZING to me after riding the Cross Roads for a while to switch back to my 'Sport Touring' R1150R... the steering is SO different (squirrely) compared to the Victory, almost scary.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you ridden a comparable BMW? It's a whole different animal, and you know people like all sorts of animals.

I've had three BMW's in the past... and never liked the look of a 'Harley type' bike, until now, with the Victory... to me the lower riding position feels much more planted, and I'm happy I got the Cross Roads.. my Victory dealer in Bakersfield, CA also sells BMW and it's hard NOT to appreciate them too.

It's AMAZING to me after riding the Cross Roads for a while to switch back to my 'Sport Touring' R1150R... the steering is SO different (squirrely) compared to the Victory, almost scary.
I have ridden a few of the BMW bikes, 1100 rt, 1150 and 1200 gs. Took a new gs for test ride. Comfort of vic is soooo much better for me. You are right though, different styles for different people. Cannot imagine though for long rides liking the fixed cocked back foot position on the bmw. Then buying after market stuff like foot lowering part/ extension, seat etc. when the manager of the BMW store asked how i liked it and I said the vic is more comfortable, he agreed! and said "well, it's the difference between a chevy and a bmw car, you get what you pay for". Riiiiiight.

maurice

maurice

·
Premium Member
180 Posts
To each his own...

Bingo. My other rides are high-perf BMWs (2 and 4-wheeled). I'm afraid that the only Victory that really grabs me, style-wise, is the one I own; and if you look, you'll see they are all the same color scheme. Each has its own purpose. Lamentably, only one is running right now....

·
Registered
33 Posts
Our family veternarian talked me into test riding the Vic before I pulled the trigger on the Harley. He was right and I now have my Vision. He said he was looking at replacing his BMW and he also rode the Vision and guess what he is now a dyed in the wool Victory owner. Hmmmm.

·
Registered
50 Posts
There are different motivators for riding a BMW or a Victory.
I had a 2011 R1200RT and loved it but.....I have neuropathy in my feet and found myself with numb feet after a while due to the feet positin, even with lowered pegs. Hard shifting/braking with this condition.
Decided that a cruiser with big floorboards are probably what I needed and rode a 2012 XCT
Even though it's like going to a pickup from a sportscar it works for me.
Still lament having to give up the RT. Something about quiet, seamless power that appeals to me.
RT is happy just cruising along at 80. XCT happier at about 70. Also find the XCT speedometer off by 7mph at 75.
Use my GPS to tell how fast I am really going.
Since I'll be 75 in a couple of months don't know how long I'll be riding. Guess the next vehicle will be a Mustang convertible.
In any event I think a dealer selling both BMW's and Victories is ideal.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
RT is happy just cruising along at 80. XCT happier at about 70. Also find the XCT speedometer off by 7mph at 75.
Use my GPS to tell how fast I am really going.
Mine is happy cruising at 80mph, even 85-90! Mine is off by 2 mph at 75 indicated per gps.

maurice

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think it's a brilliant choice by the BMW dealer. Even though there might be some crossover on the touring side, a Victory touring bike and a BMW touring bike are different enough to broaden the selection for those customers. The big plus for the dealer is having a top-notch cruiser selection which he otherwise wouldn't have just carrying BMW.

My local dealer has Victory, Kawasaki, and Triumph...a nice broad selection for just about any type of customer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts