Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if any other boardwalk owners have had this issue but thought I would share. I currently have a case opened with Vic customer service reguarding the sloppy foot shifter. The shifter is very loose and sloppy. I have actually experianced mis-shifts because of this. Just after I was discussing this issue with Vic online, I drove the bike home. On my way, the shifter linkage actually fell off the shifter shaft on the transmission. Middle of traffic and clunk !! stuck in 4th gear. I was able to push the bike back to my shop and noticed the bolt was still tight when I went to put it back on. I feel the constant twisting of the loose shifter basically worked the linkage loose.

Anyway just wanted to share with my fellow BW owners and ask that you check the linkage bolt on the output shaft for tightness. Ill keep everyone posted on what comes from my open case with Vic customer service. Im waiting for them to contact me. See attached pic.

- Ron

Attachments

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
I have a repair biz (not bikes) and have seen the work of others for over four decades, making me come to the point where I do not trust others' work. There a lot of guys who are dangerous with tools in their hands. When I buy a new bike and I get it home, I go completely over it, checking the tightness of every fastener.
There's a bit of slop in my foot levers too, but it doesn't bother me one bit as it does not affect their functions.
I would get missed shifts too, until I did this...lower the shift lever so that when you slip your boot under it, the lever lifts and takes up all the slack. That will facilitate two things; 1. less foot movement for a more positive shift engagement and 2. makes it easier to preload the shifter for smoother and quieter shifts.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I agree with you on lowering the shifter a bit. However, that does not fix the issue. The bushings in the shifter are nylon and improperly sized. I have owned 33 bikes of all different makes. I have never seen a shifter as sloppy as this. These types of things lead to failure and need to be addressed. I definitely agree with you as to not trusting other peoples work. I basically go over the bike every 300 miles to make sure things are tight and working correctly. I this case the bolt was still tight. I had to loosen it with a wrench to put it back on and it was pretty tight. This is why I feel there is a larger problem with the shifter.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
Where are the nylon bushings you speak of?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The bushing is located at the base of the shifter where it is attached to the foot peg.

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
The bushing is located at the base of the shifter where it is attached to the foot peg.
So that's what the shifter rotates on, eh? I'll have to check mine. If that's the case, a winter project will be replacing it with an oilite bronze bushing. I'll put one in that's slightly wider to reduce the side play, while I'm at it.

·
13,003 Posts

·
Registered
931 Posts
I had a slight issue shifting early on, going over the Shifter arm to grease up and check bolts. I found the pinch bolt was not to spec. Tightened and it was good

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
12,217 Posts
The Heim joints need to be lubed occasionally.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
shifter

The shifter arm to me has always been to loose on these bikes. I do not know if they were trying to imitate some other manufactures bikes. It seems to me the other American made bike has always had its shifters sloppy also. Oh and I do not know about the new Indian as far as it shifter goes,ha,ha.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yes I agree that the shifter needs a bit of play so it doesnt bind. However, the play on mine is beyond whats needed. In addition, using a nylon bushing in an area like that is just bad engineering and the manfacturer being cheap. A bronze self lubricating bushing is the proper type needed for this application. Like I said, I have a case open with Vic customer service. We will see what happens there. Ill keep everyone posted. Today im going over all the nuts and bolts on the bike to make sure everything is tight. Going on a 200 mile ride next weekend and don't want to have any issues like the shifter. Also putting together a basic tool kit to keep in the saddle bag. Didnt think I would need it with a new bike but seems thats not the case. Better safe than sorry right?

Keep the wheels up people. Be safe
- Ron

·
Registered
76 Posts
There are bushings available on line for the XC ( Witchdoctors Item # XC-BUSH) to solve the loose shifter and brake lever issue. A WORD OF CAUTION: when I put mine on I left them very tight, and the bike would not shift properly. The design of the gear box in a Victory (I do not remember what part my local dealer told me it was) will not work if the shifter binds at all. The shifter must move FREELY or the bike will not shift and to get it to move freely the bushings I bought needed a lot of material removed. I used a plumbers brush for copper pipes that went on a drill and emery cloth to remove the needed material.

·
Registered
57 Posts
The shifter is definately loose on my 2013 aswell, on the verge of what i'd call sloppy.
It feels ok though and everything seems to be tight. I will definately keep an eye on it though now and i'll get into that bushing on the weekend for a look.

I do understand the gearbox liking it to be a little loose - i've had previous issues where Harley dealers have tighted up everything too much (including the belt) and it definately became harder to shift and she didn't behave properly.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Not sure if any other boardwalk owners have had this issue but thought I would share. I currently have a case opened with Vic customer service reguarding the sloppy foot shifter. The shifter is very loose and sloppy. I have actually experianced mis-shifts because of this. Just after I was discussing this issue with Vic online, I drove the bike home. On my way, the shifter linkage actually fell off the shifter shaft on the transmission. Middle of traffic and clunk !! stuck in 4th gear. I was able to push the bike back to my shop and noticed the bolt was still tight when I went to put it back on. I feel the constant twisting of the loose shifter basically worked the linkage loose.

Anyway just wanted to share with my fellow BW owners and ask that you check the linkage bolt on the output shaft for tightness. Ill keep everyone posted on what comes from my open case with Vic customer service. Im waiting for them to contact me. See attached pic.

- Ron
Being anal, when I brought my pin home I started to check bolts here and there. That bolt on my bike was really loose and not torqued. I swear, victory quality control sucks arse

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
149 Posts
Well it happened to me also, back in late July the shifter fell off the trans peg while going down the road.
I was stranded roadside for a half hour or so until a complete stranger to me stopped and asked if I needed help, this was after many a car had passed by without slowing down.
I asked the man if he had any metric wrenches with him, he said a few and dug them out of his tool box, once I had the 10mm wrench in hand it took only 4 turns to tighten it back on.
I thanked the man and offered to pay him a couple bucks, he declined the money but offered I buy him a cold beer at the tavern up the road, which I gladly did.

I know carry metric and standard tool in a tool kit in my saddle bag, just in case.

·
Registered
19 Posts

- Ron
Just recently had the same thing happen to my BW. Less than 1500 kms on the bike and had just been serviced by the dealer I bought it from ( Five Dock Victory Indian, Sydney - a factory-owned store ).

The link has bounced up and down on the road and put a couple of nice dents in the transmission cover.

The dealer is saying that they have never heard of this problem before and it is not a valid warranty claim because it was caused by rider abuse ( stomping on the pedal ). They will not cover the replacement of the link or obviously, the transmission cover, either.

Having said that, I have found the dealer staff to be very friendly and professional, even though I disagree strongly with their opinion, I find them great to deal with. Is that odd ?

I've never broken anything on my Aprilia and I have to ride that with a lot more 'enthusiasm' than the grunty Vic....

·
Registered
522 Posts
Just recently had the same thing happen to my BW. Less than 1500 kms on the bike and had just been serviced by the dealer I bought it from ( Five Dock Victory Indian, Sydney - a factory-owned store ).

The link has bounced up and down on the road and put a couple of nice dents in the transmission cover.

The dealer is saying that they have never heard of this problem before and it is not a valid warranty claim because it was caused by rider abuse ( stomping on the pedal ). They will not cover the replacement of the link or obviously, the transmission cover, either.

Having said that, I have found the dealer staff to be very friendly and professional, even though I disagree strongly with their opinion, I find them great to deal with. Is that odd ?

I've never broken anything on my Aprilia and I have to ride that with a lot more 'enthusiasm' than the grunty Vic....

Did the dealer have the primary cover off or remove the shifter/floorboards for any reason? Do you recall if the shaft looked to be recessed in the link before the link fell off? I'm pretty sure if its installed properly the bolt will pass through the recess (groove) on the selector shaft and the link can't fall off unless the bolt were to fall out completely. There should be alignment marks on the shaft and the link for orientation and those marks should be on the same plane or flush with each other.

Here's a generic picture I found online of a Japanese bikes shift shaft and lever. You can see the orientation punch marks and how the shift lever is flush with the end of the shaft. In this particular pic the orientation marks do not line up, the rider raised the shift lever so he could get his boot under the shifter...but you get the idea.

Tech23

Attachments

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks, Tech23. Yes, it looked much like that.

After more than a week of trying to contact someone at Victory Australia, I spoke to one of the tech/warranty people.

Basically, an hour conversation boiled down to this : the Victory requires a special gear-change technique. The way I have been changing gears on all of my other bikes does not suit the Victory and it will break. Apparently, I should somehow know this.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts