Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I purchased a passenger backrest/rack from an EBay seller that said "Fits Judge/Boardwalk". It doesn't fit the Boardwalk. Not even close.

OK, I needed SOMETHING. Nothing else available. So, I kept it for the passenger backrest assembly, and to use for mocking up a rear rack.
This is the original item.

It fits like this - and digs into the passenger seat.

So - took some light sheet metal and started a mockup.

It had to move approx. 4" back and 2" higher in order for the passenger backrest to fit and properly align.
Here's the 1st cut - with some light sheet metal to use for patterns.

Cut the top part of the original rack - and bolted it to the new side plates. The original rack material is 0.110". These new side plates are 1/8" steel plate that measures 0.135". Everything was marked and cut with a jigsaw and a metal cutting blade. Used several files and a belt sander to clean it up after cutting.

Had the Missus sit on the bike, so that we could get get the correct angle and distance on the backrest.
In order to keep the rack side rails off of the chrome trim, the following spacers were fabricated:
Front - one on each side: 1.10 long by 0.625 outside diameter by 0.320 inside diameter.
Rear - one on each side: 0.85 long by 0.625 outside diameter by 0.320 inside diameter.
I figured this out the easy way - just keep adding washers until the rails clear the chrome trim and then measure the thickness of the washers.

That's all I have for now.

Tune in next week for more progress - and when I will have painted it in the very finest Wal-Mart rattle can paint.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
Nice job!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The steel on the backrest is 3/16" thick.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sooooo........

Black powdercoat?

Have it Chromed?

???

·
13,043 Posts
why not blue.
you say its 3/16 thick. think about a women who is 120 pounds and pushs on it will it hold up

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It's painted (for now). It will either grow on me, or it will get changed.

My first impression is that it should be lowered a fuzz and change the angle on the rack (drop the rear portion about 1/2")
In the mean time - here's what it looks like.
The rear rack assemble is slotted. The backrest is all the way back in the photos. It can be moved forward up to 2 1/2"

One thing is for sure - this won't have a measly "10 pound limit".
:ltr:

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Here's the second prototype. Added Genuine Victory Boardwalk Saddlebags. Originally $850 on the Victory Website - now clearance at $425. The Victory lock and ride spindles won't work in this configuration, so we cut some custom rounds.

·
Premium Member
6,151 Posts
Nicely done mate.... Looks very good, i made my stainless rack also myself and looks cool

Good job mate

1 - 9 of 9 Posts