Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:D Wife wanted to get me some new boots for Christmas this year she mentioned awhile back. Thought about it and told her to forget the boots I wanted to try and get a new windshield for the bike. Went ahead and ordered it, did not expect it yet. Got it today. Opened it up(early Christmas). Looks very nice. Got the large one with the little wing on front top. Had to tell somebody( wife could care less). Hopefully I get time to mount it this weekend. Bike ought to look and feel a lot nicer. Bike currently has the stock clear Victory Cross Roads shield on it, I call it he barndoor windshield. I have always had sportier windshields on my bikes and I do believe I ought to like this new MRA much better. I'll try to post some pictures after mounting it.cheers

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Make sure you leave about 3/4" of space between bottom of shield and top of headlight , for when you hit a bump or rough patch of road , shield will bounce off the headlight , marking it up .cheers

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Got it mounted

Got it mounted yesterday and took it out last night. Had to lower it about 1/2" today. Took it again and am very happy with it so far. Took the bike up to 110 for a short period road very nice. Did not feel like my helmet was being lifted up and none of that buffeting that I got like with the stock Victory windshield. Think I am going to like this new windshield just fine. I think the bike looks much better also. Mayb post some pictures later.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Some not so great pictures of MRA shield!

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
It looks good but also kind of out of place, the windshield needs to be a little larger in width or a little shorter in length.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Where it is mounted to the bars is incorrect IMO . Should be mounted low on the bars next to the risers . This would move the shield about 4-6" further forward over the headlight . This will allow for much better angle adjustment and buffeting control . It will look 100% better too . As it is now , it is way too close to the rider . Remember to keep about 3/4" space between the bottom of the shield and the top of the headlight .

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
It's the same style as a Windvest. They are handle bar mounted and designed to take the pressure off your chest and face. Some prefer the minimalist style of these wind shields. Looks cool.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Where it is mounted to the bars is incorrect IMO. Should be mounted low on the bars next to the risers. This would move the shield about 4-6" further forward over the headlight. This will allow for much better angle adjustment and buffeting control.
I have also found that the shield works best when positioned flatter and farther forward.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK---for me.

Took the bike up to 110mph the other day. Did not have the buffeting I had with the stock Victory windshield. I am happy with it for now. May go ahead and move it around later to see if it is better, but my helmet does not move or jiggle as before. I do not feel the lift on the the helmet as before either. If does seem more fuctional and more areodynamic than the stock one so I am happy so far. Bike feels much lighter and sportier, I know this is partially in my head, but it is also pushing a much smaller area through the wind. I personally think it looks better than the stock one even if I do have it mounted to high. Look at some of the shields on the "adventure bikes" they do look to be mounted very similar from the factory. I know, but this is not an adventure bike, true but for me it is, ha, ha. ------Have a Happy New Years people. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
I know, but this is not an adventure bike, true but for me it is
Amen dat my man.

Every bike is an adventure bike or you are doing something wrong!

·
Registered
837 Posts
Took the bike up to 110mph the other day. Did not have the buffeting I had with the stock Victory windshield. I am happy with it for now. May go ahead and move it around later to see if it is better, but my helmet does not move or jiggle as before. I do not feel the lift on the the helmet as before either. If does seem more fuctional and more areodynamic than the stock one so I am happy so far. Bike feels much lighter and sportier, I know this is partially in my head, but it is also pushing a much smaller area through the wind. I personally think it looks better than the stock one even if I do have it mounted to high. Look at some of the shields on the "adventure bikes" they do look to be mounted very similar from the factory. I know, but this is not an adventure bike, true but for me it is, ha, ha. ------Have a Happy New Years people. Thanks.
Actually, it is mounted wrong--it is way too far back on the bars. The bottom should be sitting on top of the headlight.

Here is the crazy part---where it is now will give you better wind protection than where it should be. The fact that it is mounted too far back is putting you sitting in a vacuum where wind is going around you. If you are Ok with the looks, you will not find better protection.

Congrats! cheers

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Correct

4inchpiston you are correct. I am more concerned about the function over the looks. It is much better than the stock Victory windshield. My hands get the wind now, but brush guards will fix that. Yes brush guards , had them on my old Triumph and I plan on getting some from PowerMadd for the XRs. So fugly, yes, but sometimes the old saying is the ugliest girl at the party is the most fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts