Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again,
I have a new (used) 2009 Kingpin and I had them swap out the seat to a lower seat and they also used a lowering kit so I can reach the ground. I am now bottoming out over some bumps (not major ones) and they said not much can be done about this. I don't like this sound or feeling so they said they will check the adjustment on the mono shock at the rear. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this? I definately need to keep the lower kit on as I cannot reach the ground without it. The seat is already one off of an 8 ball (I think) so no modification can be made with the seat. Thanks in advance.
BTW, I am 5'1" so I am a pretty short woman that loves her bike!
I hope my picture shows up on this thread.
MsQueen

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Hello again,
I have a new (used) 2009 Kingpin and I had them swap out the seat to a lower seat and they also used a lowering kit so I can reach the ground. I am now bottoming out over some bumps (not major ones) and they said not much can be done about this. I don't like this sound or feeling so they said they will check the adjustment on the mono shock at the rear. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to correct this? I definately need to keep the lower kit on as I cannot reach the ground without it. The seat is already one off of an 8 ball (I think) so no modification can be made with the seat. Thanks in advance.
BTW, I am 5'1" so I am a pretty short woman that loves her bike!
I hope my picture shows up on this thread.
MsQueen
Its the price you pay for having a lowered bike,
Apart from winding some more preload into the rear shock which will stiffen it up. Youre just gonna have to ride slower around corners and bends. Use weight transfer hang off the bike a bit more, get your chin over near your rh mirror on rh bends.
I had to revise my riding style to suit my Vegas and its standard height with an excellent Progressive brand shock.
Wear your peg scrapers down and they wont scrape as much.
Scraping is a fact of life on a Vic cruiser and yours is worse cos its lowered.
What about thick soled boots to gain an inch or two?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Issue with bottoming out only

Higher boots won't work. No problem yet with cornering, it's mainly bottoming out over bumps. I don't mind a stiffer ride so tell me more about the shocks please.
Thanks

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
There is an adjustment on the shock that will add more preload to the spring , this will cause a more stiff / harsh ride but should cure the bottoming issue . Your dealer should be able to do this for you , it is a simple procedure but you need a special wrench to do it .

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
Standard shock is a POS compared with Progressive shock

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Victory man

Does anyone in Massachusetts know of a good Victory tech in my area? I bought the bike from MOM's but would rather go to a small repair place where there is a Victory Guru.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.
MsQueen

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
POS means : piece of **** , but in my opinion only a very seasoned rider that has been on a bike forever with very particular tastes or is racing it would notice much difference , if your just tooling around or pleasure riding , spending that extra 400-500 dollars on a shock is not feasible . Unless your rich , then it doesn't matter much .:D

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Does anyone in Massachusetts know of a good Victory tech in my area? I bought the bike from MOM's but would rather go to a small repair place where there is a Victory Guru.

Thanks for everyone's help and suggestions.
MsQueen
KMC powersports , Westerly RI . Kyle is on of the best on the planet , great guy too .

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
My Vegas only scrapes the bottom of the engine over some tallish speed bumps and one particular steep angle driveway.
From the sound of it your rear tyre is bottoming out inside the rear fender...in which case be very carefull your tail light blinker and license plate wires dont get worn through.
Theres a wiring relocation type kit I think.
Mine wore through the license plate wiring when I had a tall big female on the back and we hit a few bumps..
But that was back when I had the standard POS shock.
The progressive is just that.. Progressive it soaks up smaller stuff like a magic carpet ride but still has the beef to handle bigger bumps without jarring and bottoming. It comes in standard and one inch lower. Youll need to measure eye to eye your existing shock cos you may end up even lower still with a short shock plus the lowering link!
Have you ridden the new Indian Scout yet?
Itd be perfect right out of the box, a 5'1" girl would sit flat footed on a Scout easy.

·
Premium Member
6,139 Posts
Bottoming out is a drag .... it happens to me many times, because speed bumps are not regulated by law here,

I put my stock spring on "soft" coz the "stiff" setting is just not comfortable .... whenever there is a speed-bump that seems to high, I put my feet on the ground and take of a few kilo's of weight and get over the bump, it takes some practice but it is doable thumb up

I'm 6'4" and 96 Kg

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I wasn't crazy about the scout. I liked the kingpin better but am trying the adjustment on the stock shift first. $500 is a lot for me considering I'm just a pleasure rider. But if I have to, I'll do it.
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts
I wasn't crazy about the scout. I liked the kingpin better but am trying the adjustment on the stock shift first. $500 is a lot for me considering I'm just a pleasure rider. But if I have to, I'll do it.
Thanks.
yes , personally I prefer my Vegas over a Scout as I'm 6 foot the Scout feels like a trail bike when I sit on it.
And its hard to beat the great styling of your Kingpin.
Our rear shocks do more than dampen the rebound as they do in a car,
they also have the spring as well.
I see where mags is coming from on the handling side of good suspension but the primary function of our rear suspension is to soak up bumps and a Quality rear shock does a much better job of that.
Consider also your rear shock is 6 years old, I dont know how many miles it has covered, if its not many it could well be quite serviceable for you for some time to come, and stiffening up the preload may very well do the trick.
Give it a go and see.
It requires 2 shocky spanners that Vic sells, and also quite a bit of strength initially to break the locknuts grip and then get the other adjustment nut moving.
Id recomend giving it 2 turns of adjustment (mark the nut with a marker pen so you have a point of reference) then trying it out on the road, going 2 turns at a time initially, till the ride gets too rough and hard over bumps, then back it off a turn at a time till its acceptable to you.
The stock shock has no rebound adjustment wheras the Progressive has 5 settings, this is the area that Mags advice really pertains to I think as fine tuning rebound damping is a factor in spirited riding, wheras youre more concerned with shock absorbtion over bumps I guess
I hope you can find a happy medium that allows you to fully enjoy your great bike.

·
Premium Member
8,836 Posts

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
So you adjust the stock shock to minimize getting your teeth rattled when you get into a rough patch. The tradeoff is the bike rides like a roller coaster all the time. You don't necessarily notice but the suspension is reduced in its ability to keep the bike planted and it's less forgiving of the minor road imperfections. Hard to understand why you would settle for that when your ride can be significantly improved and your bottoming out can be significantly reduced with the addition of a shock that works for you instead of against you.
I don't know why these guys are trying to persuade you to mess around with your shock. That adjustment is for old fat guys like Pop, not for short legged peeps like you.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts