Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
09 Vegas
I have aftermarket LED brake lights. Over the past few months they have been getting dimmer, and eventually to the point now where they rarely even turn on. I pulled the lights, they still work great when i tested off the bike. Fuses are good, Since the 09 had a stock LED brake light, i didn't think i needed a regulator, but maybe I do? Any suggestions for next steps on what to check? Thanks

·
13,027 Posts
with a voltmeter check your battery. It should be 12.5v and with the bike idling the battery volts should be 14.2v
That will tell you is regulator is working. If your battery is not 12v then you might need to replace it.
With a 10mm wrench check your battery bolts to see if there tight. Even add a 1/4" lock washer to each bolt to prevent them losing up on you.
To check battery bolts don't use your hand cause it will lie to you

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, good idea. I recharged the battery to see if it made any difference(it did not) but didn't check voltage or connectors. I will check. Battery is 3yrs old now, so I hope it's not loosing its juice already.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Are they dimming or are they flashing rapidly? I have a custom LED taillight that I built for my Aprilia years ago. The brake and turn signals work great but the running light only seems to work when the bike is off (key on, engine off). Once it's running the running lights will flicker a bit and the longer it's running the longer the "off" part of the flicker lasts until they are basically off with the occasional very brief flicker on. The driver circuit is on my bench now waiting for me to properly diagnose but so far I have no real ideas what it could be.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are dimming little by little, then eventually go off all together. Sometimes they do not work at all, most of the time now. It has progressively gotten worse.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Battery voltage is good, off and running. Anyone know offhand what volts should be at the brake/running light?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts