Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As I mentioned in another thread, I don't have a lot of free time to ride so that means the XR does not get a bath very often. If it is nice enough to wash it then it is a better day to ride! I did clean her up today and noticed a quarter size "rough" spot on the right lower side of the front fender toward the frame. I think it is probably brake fluid damage but not sure since I have never seen it before. I do bleed my brakes every other year and last bled them last winter (1.5 years ago) but never noticed this till now. The spot is quarter size and rough to the touch and very noticeable if the light hits it just right but not noticeable at all in any other light (both wife and neighbor had trouble finding the mark). Is this brake fluid damage and will this spot eventually rust? I tried to take a picture but couldn't get it to come out very well.

·
Premium Member
779 Posts
As I mentioned in another thread, I don't have a lot of free time to ride so that means the XR does not get a bath very often. If it is nice enough to wash it then it is a better day to ride! I did clean her up today and noticed a quarter size "rough" spot on the right lower side of the front fender toward the frame. I think it is probably brake fluid damage but not sure since I have never seen it before. I do bleed my brakes every other year and last bled them last winter (1.5 years ago) but never noticed this till now. The spot is quarter size and rough to the touch and very noticeable if the light hits it just right but not noticeable at all in any other light (both wife and neighbor had trouble finding the mark). Is this brake fluid damage and will this spot eventually rust? I tried to take a picture but couldn't get it to come out very well.
I always believed brake fluid would fully take the paint off, not make a rough spot. I could be wrong. Maybe try waxing the spot to see if it polishes out? *shrug*

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
In the olden days brake fluid would bubble the paint rite off in a couple days. Now with newer paint and being the process is baked on, better clear coats paint adheres better. I can defiantly see that the fluid could cause that, and maybe so far all it has killed is the clear coat. Eventually it will probably peel the clear off. Pop by a body shop and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am slammed at work this week but maybe will be able to get it to a guy I know who has a body shop the next town over next week. If it is not going to rust then I am going to leave it be. My plans are to keep my XR for the rest of my riding life which means a new paint job down the road (blue next go around).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts