Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2016 Cross Country that I just bought about a month ago. The main question I have right now is that when I use the front brake I have to pull back pretty far on the lever for the light to activate. Farther than what is necessary to stop the bike under most normal conditions. My question is as follows, is there a way to adjust the lever so that the brake light will activate sooner ?

Thanks in advance, Brian

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I may have my bikes mixed up. But I think there is a dial like deal on the lever to adjust how far back you pull and make it comfortable for you. Now exactly where the switch itself is for the fronts, I would think it should be rite close to the lever.

·
Premium Member
1,608 Posts
Pull lever forward and adjust knob. Release lever and try. Repeat if needed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The cross country doesn't have that adjustment. I am looking to adjust when the brake light itself turns on and not the actual position of the lever. There is a small plunger type switch that activates the brake light that is located underneath and closer to the tank side of the grip on that side.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Could the odd shaped switch housing that holds the front brake light switch gotten moved slightly out of position? That's all I can think of other than the switch being bad.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to move it myself and there is no adjustment in the actual switch. It has a pin that holds it in place and a screw to tighten it down. The switch does work but I really have to pull the brake lever pretty hard to get it so that it is far enough out to activate the light.

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
I tried to move it myself and there is no adjustment in the actual switch. It has a pin that holds it in place and a screw to tighten it down. The switch does work but I really have to pull the brake lever pretty hard to get it so that it is far enough out to activate the light.
But if youre on your front brake hard enough to slow or stop the bike surely its gonna light up.
If you just wanna activate it to get someone off your tail use the rear brake to light it up

·
13,262 Posts
Long as its a new bike ask dealer for new switch. After all it could be a bad one. They have been using that switch since 2012 but this is the first year of no lever adjustment.
Another sign that Vic is getting cheap

http://parts.polarisind.com/Assemblies.asp

Reactions: geekydad

·
Registered
67 Posts
The adjustment on the levers (if they had it) will not change the engagement of the brakes or the switch. They only adjust how far you have to reach from the bar to the lever.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Herein lies the problem. The bike is slowing/stopping long before the light will come on if I hit my front brakes only. I can bring the bike to almost a complete stop under normal driving conditions without the light even flickering.

·
Registered
67 Posts
If it is new, take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. If you are doing it yourself, there are only a few things that could cause it. Most probable is a bad switch or possibly a bad connection at the switch. The other is a lever alignment issue. You should be able to see if the lever is contacting and pushing in the plunger of the switch correctly. If it is, the switch or the connection at the switch is the problem. If it isn't, then there is an issue with either the lever or the mounting of the lever to the master cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
Brian,

I would take it back to the dealer and have them fix it. That is a safety issue and your bike should be under warranty.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Apparently my phone was mad at me earlier and di not post the response. I was hoping it was a stupid adjustment that I could just do at home so it didn't have to go back to the stealership (hate bringing anything to those guys). Looks like I will have to suck it up though and give them a call. Thanks for all the help guys !!!!

·
Premium Member
8,994 Posts
Herein lies the problem. The bike is slowing/stopping long before the light will come on if I hit my front brakes only. I can bring the bike to almost a complete stop under normal driving conditions without the light even flickering.
Yeah you've got a problem then, have a close look at the switch that triggers the light and how it operates in relation to lever position, maybe spray it with contact cleaner.
Is there another Vic nearby that you can compare switches with.

·
Registered
2010 Cross Country / stock 106 with glasspack mufflers
753 Posts
There is a small plunger type switch that activates the brake light that is located underneath and closer to the tank side of the grip on that side.
Can you tell if there's a gap between the plunger and the lever? If the plunger is too short to be engaged that could be as simple as gluing a spacer to the underside of your lever. If the plunger is engaging but just not coming on then absolutely to the dealer for a fix.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The plunger actually appears to work the other way from when I was looking at it. Once it is out a certain distance it activates the light. I called the dealer and explained it to the guy who sold me the bike. He ordered a new switch and will call when it comes in. Once again thanks for all the help guys.

Reactions: id-man
1 - 16 of 16 Posts