Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,

I'm hoping that someone with more knowledge about the brake light wiring might be able to help me.

I recently purchased a Gear Brake Smart Brake Light Module that flashes the brake light when you start to slow down, either through direct brake pressure or down shifting. Unfortunately, I got a deal on the module because it's generic wiring and doesn't come with a XC wiring harness, so I'm trying to figure it out for myself.

I've already consulted the XR/XC/XCT service manual on page 19.7 to try and decipher the Tail Light Wiring Diagram, but it depicts a 6-pin lighting harness, instead of the 8-pin harness I have under my left side panel. (Maybe XRs have 6-pin?).

Anyway, for this module to work I need to find: 1) Ground, 2) 12 V Power, 3) Brake Input, 4) Light Output.

I've already connected Kuryakyn rear saddlebag lights to the harness under the left panel, so I'm hoping to connect this unit to make all of them flash as I'm slowing down.

If anyone can point me to the correct Pin Letters on the 8-pin connector, or wire-colors, it would be much appreciated.

Ride Safely!

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Black is ground. To determine the others, use a test light and activate various circuits.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you. I thought about that...I was just hoping someone might have a better wiring diagram available to them. ...but if not, I'll, use the tester light.

·
Registered
263 Posts
If you are referring to the unused 8-pin plug under the left side panel, that's for the trunk/tour pack. It will have everything you need but you'll need to find the wiring diagram for the trunk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh, thank you, I guess I want to tap into the main brake wiring instead?? Can anyone point me in the right direction to find that?

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The trunk also has a full tail/brake light, so that trunk plug is essentially tapping into the main brake circuits, as long as you can find the right wires.
[EDIT] Page 19.31 in the service manual has the plug and pinout info.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
When I had wiring concerns - I was hooking up a gear indicator and needed to know which were the speed sensor and tach sensor wires - I went to my dealer who pulled the shop's shop manual for my bike and it contained a HUGE foldout wiring schematic that even showed the connectors and pins. That was all the help I needed. That will work for you too, if a test light doesn't reveal that.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Here is the info for the trunk plug:

Attachments

·
Registered
263 Posts
Reminds me of the Three Stooges:

Moe: "Eureka!"

Shemp: "You don't smell so good, either!"​

·
Registered
146 Posts
You'll want to tap into the white wire with a pink tracer on both the trunk wiring harness beneath your left side panel and the same wire colour combination under your rear fender to get them all to flash.
I posted about it on another forum

Dusty

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Dusty. I was wondering about that. ...is all that wiring in the pic below the seat, or under the fender? Did you have to remove the rear tire to get to it?

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Please Please don't use those scotch loc connectors. They cut the wire are are bound to cause electrical issues down the road. You have a open oem plug for trunk, use it . Go to cycleconnecotr.com I think it is and look it up by pic. If you have questions email the owner he can help you out. I think they are a dyutch (sp) connector. Also using a test light with a old style bulb may upset the can bus by to much draw. All the lights on the bike are LED and low xraw. If you have a volt meter thats probably a better choice.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks djh, the test light can affect the CANBUS? I never considered that. Thanks for the warning. However, I might have to splice into wires regardless of connecting to the trunk plug because I have multiple brake lights. ...do you recommend ol'fashioned soldering instead?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks Dusty. I was wondering about that. ...is all that wiring in the pic below the seat, or under the fender? Did you have to remove the rear tire to get to it?

It's under the rear fender and no, the tire does not need to be removed.
Those scotch loc connectors were installed by the previous owner, or who ever added the isolator wiring harness and trailer hitch. I solder all my wiring connections

·
Registered
12,159 Posts

·
Registered
600 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,733 Posts
While the subject of wiring and tail lights is in the limelight Id like to ask a question.

is it co-incidence that since I installed the Sabre-tooth copies (with supplied wiring bridge) , that now my cruise control wont set?

I re-adjusted throttle cables after fitting the Iso-grips too

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
oooo Those look interesting have you used them ? 20 bucks for 50 of them various sizes up here in the frozen north....
I paid $20 USD for a box of 50. Yes, I've used both. I like the Posi ones for connections I might be disconnecting in the future.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts