Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum but not to victory or riding in general...having a problem with my 05 hammer...all lights work headligh,turn n running ..problem is brake light wont activate...found a broken wire on front brake activator..removed it till I get another one...question?..wouldn't the brake light still work with front off n unplugged by using the rear brake pedal...or do they both have to be plugged in to work...sorry for long n confusing post...stumped

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Firstly, welcome to this forum. A lot of nice guys here with a lot of info. But I'm going to start this with a WAG (wild ass guess) because this a new one for me. I will assume the pedal will operate the light w/o the front and vice-versa. I would go to a friend's with a similar bike and try disconnecting one then the other and see what happens.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you...that's what I thought...would the tail light work but not the brake light if it had a crappy or dirty grounding?

·
Registered
889 Posts
Victory did some strange things at times with wiring so I can't shed any light on your particular year and model. Perhaps someone here has a wiring diagram for it. However, on a 2011 KP the signal and brake light use the same ground. (as I think they all would) The front and rear actuators would be able to energize the brake light independent of the other if their supply power is fine. They also both use the same power source in the headlight although I can't tell you where the common splice is located. You'd need to trace that out. You haven't mentioned it so I have to assume everything else electrical is fine.

If something is not working I'd be looking for power first, not the ground. You'll need to get to the rear harness connector under the seat to begin to properly troubleshoot the problem.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Welcome Ranger to the forum from Frozen, now being covered in snow...LOL Elmvale ON Canada....

I've confidence in the brain trust here, that they will be able to assist with your electrical issues...8)

Ride safe and enjoy!

R

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input...still having issues with brake light...I give up so I'm biting the bullet n taking it to a pro

·
Registered
600 Posts
Thanks everyone for your input...still having issues with brake light...I give up so I'm biting the bullet n taking it to a pro
Not all pros are created equal ...hopefully you find one with some powers 8) Let us know how you make out...

Good Luck!!!

rob

·
12,983 Posts
did you check the fuses first. if you touch the 2 wires together do the light work. if not you have a bad wire someplace els look under rear fender

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
I find just a simple test light to be invaluable for this kind of problem.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts