Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, its time for new pads. What should I look for? Whats the difference? My bike is parked half the year and has a lot of chrome. I want good brakes without corrosion or brake dust stuck to chrome cleaning issues.

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Get HH pads for the front and cheapies (GG if they have 'em) for the rear to help prevent lock-up and for more sensitive trail braking in tight curves.

·
13,002 Posts
before you install pads lay a peace of 80 grit sandpaper on a flat surface. Now run the pads across them a few times. This will speed up the brake in period. Yes it takes a good 10 stops or more for pads to really stop you.
Remember front brake stops you rear brake slows you down but does not stop you in a critical situation

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
After sanding, clean them off. If your old ones have a radiator plate on the backs, be sure to transfer them to the new ones. Clean off the discs with alcohol or brake cleaner. If the brake fluid is 2 years old, change it and bleed the system.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I want good brakes without corrosion or brake dust stuck to chrome cleaning issues.

Thanks!

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Ceramic pads will vastly reduce the horrible black dust you get from standard pads. look for ceramic blend pads, organic pads made of blended fibers that can consist of a combination of Kevlar, synthetic glass, carbon and aramid fibers.

EBC Redstuff pads are ideal if you can get them or a semi-sintered or organic pad. I believe fully sintered pads will produce more brake dust due to the ratios of steel fibres in the pad.

https://ebcbrakesdirect.com/motorcycle/victory

:wink

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
I like Lyndalls though anthing is better than stock

·
Registered
244 Posts
....Remember front brake stops you rear brake slows you down but does not stop you in a critical situation

More than once I've seen you give this advice when people ask about brakes.

It's false...and dangerous advice to be handing out.

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
I use EBC HH front and rear. I wipe the rotors.
Interestingly, my XR came with HH rear pads and they were grabby - too easy to lock the wheel. The original fronts were best described as "wooden." An odd combination to send a bike out into the world with.

·
13,002 Posts
More than once I've seen you give this advice when people ask about brakes.

It's false...and dangerous advice to be handing out.
So your telling me the front brakes don't stop you BUT the rear does.
The rear brake will put you into a skid if you use it to over power the front and you will crash.
If you don't believe me go out a lock up your rear brake and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
8,781 Posts
Visionjohnnys putting words in skullsessions mouth there.

We are back on this subject again so heres my take on it.

I use a combination of both brakes to stop quickly.
Theres many different braking scenarios out there in the real world.
Weight transfer makes the front brake much more effective than the rear.
A statement that using rear brake will cause a crash is false, there are many real world situations where using just the rear brake is called for.

Back in the good ol daze choppers in particular HDs never even had a front brake or if they did it wasnt very effective.
The weight bias on such a big heavy bike made the rear brake much more effective than on say the jap superbikes of the day,
Or indeed practically any other bike.

Thats my theory on why a lot of American riders dont use front brakes, also the fear hangover from youth riding bicycles that would launch you over the bars if too much front brake was used.
Again.
In a panic situation use a combination of both brakes to stop as quickly as possible.
Try to avoid lockup .

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
My XR also

Interestingly, my XR came with HH rear pads and they were grabby - too easy to lock the wheel. The original fronts were best described as "wooden." An odd combination to send a bike out into the world with.
My 2011 Cross Roads came the same way brand new. I am going to be installing a new set of EBC front pads this weekend, maybe. Bike has just over 50,000 miles now and I am still running the stock rear pads. EBC are expensive to me, but they stop the bike much better than the wooden pads that came on it from the factory.

·
Premium Member
2,357 Posts
I think the flaw with VJ's statement is that it takes a complex and dynamic motorcycle function and attempts to reduce it to a single sentence. Folks often do this with another completely dynamic function, what RPM do you shift at? Both depend on a set of ever changing variables. Any attempt to reduce them to a single statement is flawed and unproductive.:nerd

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I think the flaw with VJ's statement is that it takes a complex and dynamic motorcycle function and attempts to reduce it to a single sentence. Folks often do this with another completely dynamic function, what RPM do you shift at? Both depend on a set of ever changing variables. Any attempt to reduce them to a single statement is flawed and unproductive.:nerd
Coupled with the fact that the simplistic statement is demonstrably false since any one of us could slow the bike using only the front brakes and stop the bike using only the rear brakes. As you note, it is a very complex issue that cannot and should not be reduced to a sound bite.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
Come on guys...gimme a brake! :)

·
13,002 Posts
When it comes to a fast stop all of us have car mentality (what I call it) the first thing you do is push on the rear brake. "Seconds" later you either down shift or grab the front brake. Then hopefully you stop short of trouble.
For you doubting guys. Go out run your bike up to 60 mph and hit the rear brake and try to stop in 20 feet. No you can't downshift or drop down a gear

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
This guy needed a lot more than brakes. He needed to know something very important.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts