Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When the Brake is applied, what pulls the pads away from the rotor when you release?
In this case I'm referring to the front brakes. Mine seem to drag, I always hear a dragging noise, the rotors always seem too hot after a short ride.

·
Registered
31 Posts
When the Brake is applied, what pulls the pads away from the rotor when you release?
In this case I'm referring to the front brakes. Mine seem to drag, I always hear a dragging noise, the rotors always seem too hot after a short ride.
Hi TG, nothing pulls the pads away when you release the leaver, it takes the pressure off the pads. There is always a slight scraping sound as they sit almost up against the rotors, but not to the point of heating up. Raise ur front wheel off the ground and spin it by hand and listen. It may be that ur callipers may be slightly seized.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
update

I did lift the wheel and turn it. I do still hear scraping. I inserted a screwdriver loosen up the pads and no scraping noise. After applying the brakes it does scrape again(as expected). I rode it for about 5 miles without touching the front brakes and with the light scraping they were just a little warm. I used them kinda hard 10-12 times and they were pretty warm almost too hot to hold more than a quick bit. I only had a little less than 1/16 showing from the precut grooves, so I ordered 2 pair of EBC FA347HH should get them Tuesday. hopefully .......
Maybe that may help some.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I did lift the wheel and turn it. I do still hear scraping. I inserted a screwdriver loosen up the pads and no scraping noise. After applying the brakes it does scrape again(as expected). I rode it for about 5 miles without touching the front brakes and with the light scraping they were just a little warm. I used them kinda hard 10-12 times and they were pretty warm almost too hot to hold more than a quick bit. I only had a little less than 1/16 showing from the precut grooves, so I ordered 2 pair of EBC FA347HH should get them Tuesday. hopefully .......
Maybe that may help some.
No worries, but just so there's no confusion, you shouldn't hear scraping while riding. If so have ur callipers checked out for binding. Hopefully ur new pads will help.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No worries, but just so there's no confusion, you shouldn't hear scraping while riding. If so have ur callipers checked out for binding. Hopefully ur new pads will help.
Is there a rebuild kit available?
If disassembled carefully and cleaned and reassembled wonder if it will ruin any o-rings or other items?

·
Registered
156 Posts
To a certain degree, when the rotors vibrate and wobble some that's what pushes the pads away and calipers apart. When you say after a short ride your rotors are hot, it's probably because you didn't have the chance to have the calipers separate enough.

I'll bet if you were to ride some distance and come to a stop with say, just the rear brake, the front wheel would freely spin and you would hear very little dragging noise with a lower temperature?

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
The square seals in the caliper cylinder flexes somewhat when you apply the brakes. When you release, this square seal relaxes somewhat slightly drawing the pad off the rotor. Sometimes I get a slight scraping sound, but normally don't. I hear it a lot on Harleys and even my GoldWing had it occasionally. As far as temperature, it doesn't take much to heat them up.

·
Registered
886 Posts
OP, I have the same problem. The noise is always present and sometimes I sound like a dump truck coming to a stop and it's loud enough people on the sidewalk look. Coming off of the highway the front rotor is very hot, untouchable, while the rear is just fine.

It's been to the shop a few times while it was under warranty but they can't figure it out. Their only suggestion was to switch to Kevlar pads but that didn't help at all. I had hoped that just using them for awhile would wear them in a bit to a point the pistons wouldn't stick but so far, 10K km, no luck. I've chamfered the pads as well but no change.

No rebuild kit for these either.

·
12,968 Posts
New pads will take 50 miles to seat in. So give them time.
With caliper off take a straight edge and check rotor for being flat.
Check your pads to see if there flat and look for a peace of sand embedded in pads.
Most take sand paper and lay on flat surface and rub pads over them once or twice. making sure there flat.
Check the pin that holds the pads in place. Does it have a bur or crud on on it. Even make sure the hole in the pad that the pin goes thru is smooth.
Your pads should have a thin air gap between pads and rotor otherwise you would have a long throw on lever when applying brakes.

Yes rotors get dam hot and only fool would touch them after a ride.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plans

I think when my EBC pads arrive I will disassemble the calipers and clean the seals and plunger/cylinders. I watched the witchdoctor videos on disassembly/assembly for their chroming service they have. They reuse the seals, so I think if I'm careful It should be ok.
This will make me feel better knowing it is not something in the caliper that just needs attention.

One more question.... I thought I remember a post saying to chamfer the edge of the pad. Is that something to do on a new pad?

·
12,968 Posts
you'll do a lot of work disassembling calipers and get NO reward to it.

Make sure you coat o-rings and pistons with a lot of new brake fluid

watch out for your fingers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts