Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the brake pads on all three rotors on Saturday. I thought I did my due diligence, watched some videos and dove into the job. The pads were pretty easy to change but when I got on the bike to test them out, the front brakes didn't grab like they normally do. I know that sometimes bleeding the brakes is required, but normally I don't do it as long as the brakes work correctly. Well, I bled both rotors on the front, with the help of my wife, and they still aren't grabbing (fully). I bled them several times to try to make sure any air is out of the lines, replaced the brake fluid, used a pump to make sure there was no air in the lines, and STILL am not getting a good grab on the front. Did I miss something? I never cracked the brake lines when changing out the pads, so in my mind, bleeding the brakes shouldn't have even been necessary. Does it have something to do with the ABS? What else can I check? I have a ride coming up next week and I wan to be safe.

·
Registered
12,203 Posts
Did you sandpaper the pads before installing? That helps with break-in. Lay a piece of fine grit (200) on a flat surface and rub the pads on it.
The best and easiest way to bleed is with these...
www.speedbleeder.com
Order from them by phone to get EXACTLY the bleeders your bike requires.

·
13,002 Posts
on the front brakes are you bleeding the TOP bleeder. The center one is for the rear brake on the front caliper.
If there is air in the line letting it sit over night the air will be up at the master cylinder. So just barely squeeze the lever a 1/8" no more and that should release all the air out of the system.
It does take a good 50 miles for pads to wear inn

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, I didn't sandpaper the pads- first I've ever heard of that. I bled from the top valve, per the videos I watched. A buddy of mine, Harley mechanic of many years, did try to bleed it from the banjo bolt by the reservoir. It seemed to help some.

I'll try bleeding it like you suggest. Are you saying to bleed it at the caliper, but just squeeze the lever slightly?

·
Premium Member
1,571 Posts
With the help of a friend and using only the rear brake lever, bleed right front then left front and lastly rear. Make sure rear brake res is topped off between bleeds so no chance of drawing air into line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts