Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question about the brakes on my 08 Vision. I have about 47,000 miles and want to replace the pads. I was reading the service manual and you have .5mm of maxium wear of the rotors front or rear. So what it looks like to me is that when you replace the brakes you replace the rotors ? If the front rotor is 5mm to start and replacement is at 4.5mm ( I have about 4.67 mm ) when you replace the pads you replace the rotors. You get that much wear in normal driving. This will get to be expensive just to put on new brakes when you have to get new rotors along with the new brakes.

Buster
2008 Vision

·
13,254 Posts
Just replace your pads. Wearing out a rotor would mean very hard stopping many times. If your rotors are shinny and have no burnt marks you ok. If this is the first time for replacing pads you have nothing to worry about I would think.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Realistically... if your disc is below your service limit I'd replace it. When below the service limit you risk disc warpage from over heating... less mass heats up quicker and to possibly higher temp for same swept area.

If above service limit... dont! Technically, the disc should be machined to a fresh flat "run out spec' surface for the new pads. The cost would be probably around a new disc? A new disc would be the preferred option IMHO.

As far as pads go... I replaced my stock pads the day my Jackpot came home. I have used Lyndall Z-plus.

This from Lyndall....

LYNDALL pads are of the Carbon-Kevlar variety. They contain a premium blend of DuPont Carbon-Kevlar, nonferrous metal with a high transfer rate. Once the pad material has transferred a layer to the rotor, the rotor becomes one big brake pad, stopping against the two smaller brake pads positioned in the caliper. The result: incredible STOPPING POWER, NO DUST, NO NOISE, NO DRAG, NO MEASUREABLE ROTOR WEAR, and the HIGHEST SERVICE LIFE of any pad on the market.

To develop the Z+ compound we started with a racing brake pad material and worked our way backwards. We wanted to provide the optimum stopping power that was suitable for everyday general purpose riding. Our Z+ pads are a DuPont Carbon-Kevlar (organic) compound that will work as well right out of a driveway as it does after a long day of hard riding. This is the most rotor friendly pad in the industry. It produces no dust, no noise, while providing 20% more stopping torque than the stock pads. The service life generally averages about 18,000 miles.

End.

The pads took a fair bit to run-in and be very careful when you apply any brakes first time after fitting... you dont have the braking power afforded by a bedded in rotor/pad.

I'm getting minimal dust and after the bed-in have great stopping power considering I have only one disc at the front and 650lbs + me!

I purchased them because they coat the disc with material giving far less or near zero rotor wear... and minimal corrosive dust. Extra stopping power is excellent to have as well.

I cant say they are better stopping because I replaced them before ever needing to stop hard on stock pads. Only 24 miles from my dealer to home.

YMMV

Mags

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is just for information.
I just checked with a dealer and rotors are $200 plus each, times 3.
Pads front and rear are $170.
I have 47K now so at about 90K, the next time I change brake pads it will cost me more than $800 and I do the work.
Because the rotors will be out of limits.
This does not make me a happy camper. :(
(venting)
This is the cost of enjoying yourself on a motorcycle.

Buster

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
I've seen references to reality in this thread. The reality is that pads last a long time for most folks. Changing new pads indicates the subject has too much money. I used my factory pads and had excellent stopping power. Would different pads change that? Nope. I got 32k out of the rears and probably could have got another 32k out of the fronts.
As long as pads are changed before the lining wears through, the rotor will work fine with no further effort. Unless abused, rotors will outlast the vehicle. $800 brake jobs are not necesary unless you let the pad linings wear out or take other damage.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Depot Picker,

Dont forget my jackpot has only one front disc not the two you enjoy for braking. Weighs 880lb with me on it.

I changed pads to be as dustless as possible... Jackpot wheels are full polish, no clearcoat. I have ruined two spoke wheeled bike's front wheel by the brake dust corroding the zinc coating on the spokes. Very costly exercise to repair them.

For under a $100 I have removed the above risk to my Jackpot wheels or at worst reduced it markedly. 20% better braking with one disc could be a bonus.

Too much money? I wish!!

Mags

·
Premium Member
13,708 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts