Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a Black 2014 XC with around 22,000 miles 4 days ago.(Santa came a few days early) Since this is my 1st Victory is there certain things I should do/look for/etc.?
It's got the Tri-Oval exhaust and I do get some decel popping but other than that is seems to run great.
I have been looking/dreaming at the XC for some time I really like the looks and can't believe I finally have one.
Things I've noticed:
-The clutch pull is stiffer than my VStar even though I had heavy duty clutch springs on the VStar.
-The previous owner had fat grips that I might change. I have big hands but these grips....
-Bag lid rattle.

If you picked up a similar bike what would your do immediately and what would your do with-in the fist 6 months? ( I will change the oil next week)
I usually ride about 7,000 miles a year mostly commuting in SoCal.

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Change oil. Give it a look over for the usual things in used bikes.
Ride it. :)

You can get a cover for the clutch arm that supposed to make it easier to pull. Many say Barnett cables pull easier too.
I prefer stock grips prior owner to mine had them wrapped to be thicker.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Since most of the regulars here are taking the holidays off, I'll help you out. Firstly, you are going really like your choice as you made a very good one. Vic Cross bikes are super dependable, comfortable, handle well and are easy to maintain as they require very little attention. Here's my list of to-do's for you....
+ Read the manual, especially the parts about clutch cable adjustment and checking the oil level.
+ Check the clutch cable adjustment.
+ I did what IndyVic recommends; installed both an easy-pull and a Barnett cable and my clutch pull is like that of a 250. If you do that, make certain the lower end of the cable is in perfect alignment with the sheath. I had to shim the support using washers.
+ Most here use Rotella T-6 oil, myself included. Works a lot better for me than the Vic oil.
+ The 106 engine loves to rev, so don't think you are babying it by keeping the revs low. Grab shifts at well over 3K. Use lower gears in the twisties to keep revs over 3500 rpm's. Never ride 'er below 3K.
+ Decel popping can be minimized by minimizing throttle movement and preloading the shifter.
+ Never air up the rear shock with compressor air, only use a shock hand pump and psi according to the label in the case lid.
+ Air up tires to 38-40 front, 40-42 rear.
+ Case lids can be tightened by moving the fixed loop downward. If not enough travel, elongate the holes with a file. Note, in the right case, where the loop comes in contact with the latch and if there is a notch in the aluminum, bend or move the loop to relieve the pressure.
+ To improve the bike's looks, power, speed and fuel mileage I highly recommend my laydown license bracket. The bestest and cheapest one on the market and it's color matched to your bike. Click the link below.
Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Indy and RICZ, These will be things I'll work on over the next week or so. Love the bike and dependability is one of the main reasons I finally went Victory. This summer I have plans to ride to Northern California and I'm pretty excited to have the XC to do it with.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Northern CA has Highway 36 and 92. Two of the pretty challenging roads up there. The scenery ain't too bad either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hello There,

I'm only a few weeks ahead of you on this journey. So far so good while stepping from a Vstar 950 to a 2012 CCT.

So far I've given it a good bath, changed the oil, ridden it a hundred miles or so. It is winter here after all. I'm going to like this bike. I did Lube the ends of the clutch cable which was needed.

I do have a question on the air adjustment. Do I need to go out and buy a special hand pump or can I use the hand pump I have for bicycle tires? I don't see any danger of overloading it? Sorry to hijack you thread but it seems to be on topic.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
That special hand pump has a no-loss Shrader valve connector, whereas a bicycle pump doesn't. Just one tiny psst when removing the hose equals a big loss in pressure. Amazon and eBay have 'em in the low $20 range. It's best to have one.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Northern CA has Highway 36 and 92. Two of the pretty challenging roads up there. The scenery ain't too bad either.
SR 92? SF Bay Area to Half Moon Bay on the coast? Or are you thinking SR 96 in the "far north" part of Cali?

SR 36 & SR 96 are in close proximity to one another (my neck of the woods). And yes, they are indeed scenic.

Also, to MC enthusiasts, often described as twisty two-wheeled nirvana.

:ride:

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here in SoCal I'll take a few runs on Hwy 79 to Julian or cut off a little sooner and run to Borrego Springs. I used to make these runs a long time ago. Of course we also have the Ortega Hwy but it gets a little crazy with all the sport bikes on the weekends. I have plenty of places to "practice"

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello There,

I'm only a few weeks ahead of you on this journey. So far so good while stepping from a Vstar 950 to a 2012 CCT.

So far I've given it a good bath, changed the oil, ridden it a hundred miles or so. It is winter here after all. I'm going to like this bike. I did Lube the ends of the clutch cable which was needed.

I do have a question on the air adjustment. Do I need to go out and buy a special hand pump or can I use the hand pump I have for bicycle tires? I don't see any danger of overloading it? Sorry to hijack you thread but it seems to be on topic.
I bought this hand pump from Amazon for $28. I saw it recommended in the forum. Fox Racing Shox Shock Pump 027-00-007 - 150 Psi Max. It should get here later this week.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Sheets, I was referring to those gnarly roads up there in your neck-of-the-woods and north of your digs on 299. I may have gotten that 90s number wrong. It was awfully tiny on my map. There are some roads up there are not for the faint of heart. I remember doing them in the 60s and 70s and seeing crashed logging rigs below that went off the road as the curves are so very tight.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yeah, I was think'n that you were think'n of this neck of the woods. Log trucks . . . a bygone era. You'd be hard pressed to see a log truck on any of these roads in this day and age. But yes, back in the day this part of California was the epicenter of the industry. These days this area is the epicenter of a different agricultural industry. Chainsaws have been silenced - replaced by scissors. My street address is Hwy 96.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Sheets, have you noticed that with the demise of the timber industry, solvent California and Oregon became debtor states, education systems tanked, taxes shot upward, and forest fires increased exponentially?

·
Registered
433 Posts
Bag lids can rattle. The seals can start coming unglued in a couple of years. Service Manual say to change the gaskets if the lids come off for any reason. There is a lot of room.

Call Fuel Moto or some other Bike Shop choices that offer remote tuning. They will get rid of the pop for you. You can try first upgrading spark plug to thunder volts but really need to anyway. With the triovals you really need to make sure you are on the stage 1 flash and plan on getting it tuned better.

If you race it on the freeway and get some engine code that references the 02 sensor... its most likely plugs and wires are stock and need changed. Its rumored that Victory has done an upgrade on the ecm flash to help get rid of this false problem code but I really thing plugs and wires contribute. Others talk about how these wires are really weak for reliable every time spark. Not good at 90 mph for extended times.

I had a clutch assist from Muller and a new coated cable on my last bike. Clutch cable was nothing to operate. You will get used to the clutch pull or want to upgrade to the Barnett cable thats proven to help a lot to make it an easy pull.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Things I've done so far in the 3 weeks I've had it.,
Ridden it,
Added Fuel injector cleaner at fill up,
Ridden it,
Changed the oil and filter Rotela T6 and Bosch filter and cleaned and lubed the clutch cable end,
Ridden it some more,
Pulled the seat and added a backrest,
Ridden it,
Added an anti Gremlin device,
Ridden it again,
Pulled the the fairing and found the annoying rattle. Both speaker boxes were loose. Fixed now.
Ridden it some more.

Will ride to work all next week.
Next weekend will be plugs
And Riding it!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I just installed some Iridium NGK plugs from amazon. Also installed the Thunder volts wires. Great ride Sat in Jan! The plugs were gapped perfect at .032" . The smaller gap is a quicker spark and better timing. My factory plugs were 34 and 36.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Check to make sure the bag latch service/upgrade per factory notice and the rear brake re-routing service re-call were both completed.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
Congrats on new bike. I can tune 99.9% of the popping out of that with a Maximus and a remote tuning session. Along with that improve roll on throttle, eliminate low end lugging, increase rev limits, and and a couple other things.

·
Registered
12,159 Posts
Noemtz, would those "couple other things" be make him more attractive to the opposite sex and whiten his teeth? :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts