Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harley-Davidson Reveals Project Livewire. The First Electric Bike You Will Like?

Published by Cyril Huze June 19th, 2014 in Builders, Editorial, Events and Videos.
Not yet for sale, Harley-Davidson invites consumers to ride, react and shape the future of this new electric motorcycle. See it, hear it, feel it. H-D Invites is bringing innovation to the street and is inviting everybody to ride and tell them what you think. A 2014 U.S. tour – kicking off with a journey down Route 66 – will visit more than 30 Harley-Davidson dealerships now through the end of the year. In 2015, the Project LiveWire Experience will continue in the U.S. and expand into Canada and Europe. The tour across America will continue June 24th in New York City, where riders will be invited to take a historic ride. The other stops announced this morning are in Boston June 27th-29th and Philadelphia July 17th-19th. Other 2014 stops to be announced very soon.
“America at its best has always been about reinvention,” said Matt Levatich, President and Chief Operating Officer, Harley-Davidson Motor Company. “And, like America, Harley-Davidson has reinvented itself many times in our history, with customers leading us every step of the way. Project LiveWire is another exciting, customer-led moment in our history.” Spurred by this heritage, the Project LiveWire Experience invites customers to test ride, provide feedback and learn more about the story of the motorcycle. Even those who don’t yet ride will have the opportunity to feel the power of Project LiveWire through Jumpstart – a simulated riding experience. “This builds on many recent reinvention successes for Harley-Davidson.” said Levatich. “In just the last few years, we’ve broadened our reach to serve an increasingly diverse society, as well as reinvented our approach to product development and manufacturing. This has resulted in cutting-edge products like the recently launched Project Rushmore touring bikes, Harley-Davidson Street 500 and 750 models and this reveal of Project LiveWire.”
“Project LiveWire is more like the first electric guitar – not an electric car,” said Mark-Hans Richer, Senior Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer, Harley-Davidson Motor Company. “It’s an expression of individuality and iconic style that just happens to be electric. Project LiveWire is a bold statement for us as a company and a brand.” The bike offers a visceral riding experience with tire-shredding acceleration and an unmistakable new sound. “The sound is a distinct part of the thrill,” said Richer. “Think fighter jet on an aircraft carrier. Project LiveWire’s unique sound was designed to differentiate it from internal combustion and other electric motorcycles on the market.”
Longer term plans for retail availability of Project LiveWire will be influenced by feedback from riders along the Project Livewire Experience tour.
“We offer a no excuses riding experience in everything we do and we are led by what our customers tell us matters most,” said Richer. “Because electric vehicle technology is evolving rapidly, we are excited to learn more from riders through the Project LiveWire Experience to fully understand the definition of success in this market as the technology continues to evolve.”
As riding in the great outdoors is one of the best elements of motorcycling, sustainability remains a core strategic focus at Harley-Davidson. “Preserving the riding environment is important to all of us,” said Levatich. “Project LiveWire is just one element in our efforts to preserve and renew the freedom to ride for generations to come. As a company that has seen success for 111 years, we think in generational terms about our great riding environments for the next 111 years.”
Fans can learn more about the Project LiveWire, as well as specific dates and locations at Project LiveWire Experience projectlivewire.com. Harley-Davidson also invites anyone who is interested in the possibilities of the future to follow and engage with the company on its social media channels, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

·
Premium Member
13,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like HD is finally breaking out of its uber nostalgic shell.

The V-Rod was first but this is carving out new territory.

I've been reporting on various electric bikes of interest for a while here. I think, whether we like it or not, it will be part of our future. We may not even have an option in less than 20 years unless maybe we are "grandfathered in" by having an older bike prior to a certain date which means at some point we won't be able to sell what we have at the time if it uses liquid fossil fuel.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Maybe a Harley that won't leak oil.

2006 Jackpot
2012 Cross Country Tour
Ness Big Honkers
LoydsAir Filter & Timing Wheel
PCV & Autotune

·
Administrator
5,947 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Why does every electric bike mfr think that only the standard/sport bike crowd will go for their products? Why no feet forward, more comfortable models? An electric bike, with its limited range, is perfect for urban duty, running errands and local riding--to me, that requires cruiser like ergos. The first mfr to put out an electric bike like that is going to do very well, considering that cruisers are well over half the US market at present.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Yawn.
Next.

·
Registered
533 Posts
at first glance, that looks a lot like the ducati Diavel...

not exactly sure how i feel about it so i will wait to pass judgement until i see it in person.. but if it does make it as a production model for more than a year or so i applaud them for breaking away from their norm and stepping out of their comfort zone..

interesting nonetheless...

·
Registered
459 Posts
I like it.

Is the best looking standard out there outside of maybe the Honda CB1100, which is more retro standard.

Can't stand 90% of standards as they look so space-age.

Only thing about electric bikes is that they make hardly any noise. Noise of a motorcycle is what can save your life. But I still would ride this if it handled and was reliable and had torque of a Rocket III.

I wonder if it'll have a clutch/shifter.

My hopes is that it won't. Doesn't need one. And it would introduce a lot more riders into the scene if it had a full automatic "trans". Like my wife.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think its kind of cool. And we have to face it, liquid dinosaurs are running low.

Im watching this tech at the moment;

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-metal-air-battery-drives-car-1800km-without-recharge

Unreal.

As for a shifter/clutch. Part of the allure of electric bikes is that , in theory, they are cheaper to produce. Way less moving parts, less forces working on them then a combustion engine. Adding a tranny just to appease the people used to it is backward thinking. More power delivered to motor the fast it goes. Zero need for a tranny. I'm forward thinking. If I can get one of those air batteries in the future I am gonna jump on board. Its the future.

1800km air battery, coupled with solar panel road ways and we can save the planet. Sounds like hippy ****, but its true.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I think its kind of cool. And we have to face it, liquid dinosaurs are running low.

Im watching this tech at the moment;

http://www.iflscience.com/technology/new-metal-air-battery-drives-car-1800km-without-recharge

Unreal.

As for a shifter/clutch. Part of the allure of electric bikes is that , in theory, they are cheaper to produce. Way less moving parts, less forces working on them then a combustion engine. Adding a tranny just to appease the people used to it is backward thinking. More power delivered to motor the fast it goes. Zero need for a tranny. I'm forward thinking. If I can get one of those air batteries in the future I am gonna jump on board. Its the future.

1800km air battery, coupled with solar panel road ways and we can save the planet. Sounds like hippy ****, but its true.
Right. And I for one don't like giving money to terrorist countries like Nigeria and the Saudis and companies like BP and Exxon that rake in record billions in profits while still getting subsidies from the US Gov't.

I love my Vic, my Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, my G35 sueprcharged coupe, but I really wouldn't mind an electric car for my DD. Like a Tesla if I can afford it.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Why does every electric bike mfr think that only the standard/sport bike crowd will go for their products? Why no feet forward, more comfortable models? An electric bike, with its limited range, is perfect for urban duty, running errands and local riding--to me, that requires cruiser like ergos. The first mfr to put out an electric bike like that is going to do very well, considering that cruisers are well over half the US market at present.
I think it was a smart decision on Harley's part. There base following would lose there minds if Harley brought out an Electric Electra Glide. They bring in new blood from the sports bike world and put them on a Harley. Then start bringing that tech into there cruisers and you broaden your base consumer. I want to ride one after watching the documentary Charged about electric bikes racing at the Isle of Mann TT race. "Closest you will ever feel to flying. Three feet off the deck at 100 mph and no sound but the wind." I'm there....

2000 V92SC
Middle Tenn
it ain't stock...

·
Premium Member
13,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Two Night Trains...never "spilled" a drop. :cool:
I've had quite a few HD's, including one Night Train, that didn't leak oil but HD still has that stigma.

I've been wondering the same thing. Maybe because they have the power a sport bike has? I dunno but I would like to see an electric cruiser too.

Right. And I for one don't like giving money to terrorist countries like Nigeria and the Saudis and companies like BP and Exxon that rake in record billions in profits while still getting subsidies from the US Gov't.

I love my Vic, my Dodge Ram 2500 Diesel, my G35 sueprcharged coupe, but I really wouldn't mind an electric car for my DD. Like a Tesla if I can afford it.
IMHO electric cars are much further into the future. There is so much more weight and so many other conveniences built into cars these days that we are used to. Did you know it wasn't until the advent of the alternator replacing the unreliable generator that things like air-conditioning and power windows were considered?

Tractor trailer rigs and diesel trains will be with us for a very long time unless we can harness the sun in an extremely effective way.

A small basic in town runabout car that got a couple hundred miles per charge would be an awesome thing to have as long as it didn't run up the electric bill too badly. Even it only had an am/fm radio with no heat or AC so the charge could last longer. It would not be practical in hot places like the SW desert or cold places where it snowed. It would be a start anyway.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Maybe its because I'm old, but I am still of the belief that Loud Pipes Save Lives.

Not going to see me on an electric scooter anytime soon.

·
Registered
396 Posts
"can i get some aftermarket loud pipes for this thing?":ltr:

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
Maybe its because I'm old, but I am still of the belief that Loud Pipes Save Lives.

Not going to see me on an electric scooter anytime soon.
You could clip playing cards to the forks and have them rub on the wheel spokes.thumb up

1 - 19 of 19 Posts