Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This week I intend to embark on my typical new bike engine area clean up effort.

Have any of you guys already re-located your starter switch and that awful looking Crankcase breather hose?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem!

I have a couple of solutions sketched up. I should be able to get the fab work done and have everything installed this week.

My chrome floorboards should be in this week too.

Monday, I have an appointment with my painter to talk about the paint work I have in mind.

Little by little...............:D

·
Registered
12,202 Posts
My concern about blocking off that area is getting rid of engine heat. Rear cylinders run hotter and those panels reduce, if not entirely block off air flow. I have never had any negative comments about the breather tube, have you? To each his own.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Ricz - I haven't made the change, as I'm still somewhat on the fence about the look. I like the idea of moving the switch since it cleans up that side some and would give you some more options for changing the cheese wedges. I'll admit that your comment about the heat is well taken and not a point I'd thought of. I don't really know how much difference adding the panel would make to air flow - some, I'm sure.

Something to think about.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've modified the crankcase breather hose a couple of ways. At the top left side of the frame, the hose leads into the intake. I cut the hose near the intake and plugged the intake side with a rubber cap. At the pcv breather, I cut the hose off and added a small Spectre breather filter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am thinking about just adding the normal crankcase breather at the crankcase vent hole.

On the ignition switch, I am still fiddling around with a couple of ideas. I have almost decided to leave it where it is until I come up with an idea for the coils. There is no real point in moving the ignition if the wedge has to stay there for the coils.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Great now you don't have PCV. And can push out gaskets with high crankcase pressure. Plus collect moisture and acids in the crankcase. You need the draw on the crankcase for a reason.cheers

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
:crzy:Silly Rabbit!

I'll still have a crankcase vent. It just won't go to the intake.

The only reason it is piped to the intake is for emmisions. There is never a negative pressure on the line, because the line goes in upstream of the throttle valve.

They make some pretty neat little chrome crankcase breathers. That is what I will probably use.

It will work just like any engine. I am not the expert, but I have built quite a few bikes, cars, etc along with their respective engines. I always get rid of the PCV hose and go to a breather on the valve covers. I never had an issue.

The only exception being some of the blower motors I have built. I ran them to a catch can. This was due to some amount of oil entrainment at the big end of the dragstrip:D

You probably thought I was going to just plug the hole or something. That would be a problem.:eek:

Thanks for looking out for the junior guy anyway. I could have been a newbie at this whole engine thing and caused myself some real problems.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I didn't know if you had seen this particular piece since your post mentioned having something fabricated. If you haven't already seen it, I think this piece is $70. Maybe not exactly what you're looking for, but it could be a start - and it's already pre-made.

https://sites.google.com/site/piratemikevictoryshop/
this is nice....i wonder how it would impact the heat on the engine/other?

·
Registered
289 Posts
Gulliverstoe,

How'd the ignition relocation cover work out for you? Does it seem add any additional heat? Any comments?
howdy

i got the plate and it is fine....it was still in the 90s or so then...i have an oil temp-stick....i left the plate on for 100 or so miles...and the oil temp seemed hot...can't say if i really noticed anything on the gauge as it get up there anyway....but it gets dang hot here ...106 today.......the plate itself was getting too hot to touch...it is mounted to the rear frame so i reasoned that this was convected heat....all this...and the wiring etc and i took it off...likely put it back in for the winter season as it looks ok....

ssu

gulliver

·
Premium Member
2,646 Posts
Great now you don't have PCV. And can push out gaskets with high crankcase pressure. Plus collect moisture and acids in the crankcase. You need the draw on the crankcase for a reason.cheers
Hose is a simple vent coming out ABOVE the trottle body. No vacume found to make it a Positive Crank Vent.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts