Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So as you can tell by my avatar I have a 2015 xc in the gloss titanium. Today was my yearly iron butt run which unfortunately did not get completed. After three hours in steady to torential rain my rain gear gave up. Two hours later I gave up as well and grabbed a hotel. Well the rain has stopped and that beautiful blacked out engine and case looks just terrible. Both Harley's I owned prior to this also went through many a rain storm and their engine cases just never looked the same no matter how hard I tried to clean them. Even the engine black spray that hd sold failed to really bring back the brilliance. Now I have always ridden with the philosophy of you can ride them or you can wipe them but you can't do both. However this beauty only has 4000 miles on the clock and I'd like to bring the black back. Is their any magic lotions or potions that one would recommend to really get the engine and case looking like new again? Thx.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
LILMAGS500 will jump in soon, he has some stuff that will work miracles. He used it on my pulley guard and it looks good as new that guard hadn't been touched in over 20,000 miles

·
Premium Member
6,233 Posts
Cleaning the fins and black engine sparkle clean i use this spray oil ..... NO WD40 or any other spray's with evaporating substance ....
Just a simple spray oil

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
Keep in mind , compressed air is your best friend when detailing your engine . It gets 99% of the water out of your fins and such making it easier to take care of your motor . You want to get some Gunk EB1 , amazon for reference but any parts store will have it for about 5-7 bucks . [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Gunk-EB1-Engine-Original-Degreaser/dp/B000630ICQ[/ame]
Then you need some S100 engine enhancer available at any bike shop / dealer . Bout 11.00 .
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/S100-19200A-Engine-Brightener-Aerosol/dp/B000WK111K[/ame]
Again , amazon for reference . When engine is cool , spray down engine with the EB1 and let sit 5-7 minutes , spray down all parts of motor , this will not hurt paint or anything else . Generously hose down with water trying not to douse electrics with any unneeded water pressure . Blow off with compressed air or wipe down the best you can and run engine for 10 - 15 minutes to help dry thoroughly . Let cool , and then spray down with s100 , fins and all , spray on evenly . Let sit for a half hour or so before riding . My engine looks and stays looking new after this even when I get stuck in the rain . Pay special attention to getting water out of the sparkplug areas . Hope this helps you . This procedure will not harm any of your bike components and leaves my motor looking new for a couple months , then I repeat . I do not wipe off any excess s100 unless its on some paintwork or the exhaust , then wipe those areas down with a microfiber cloth as needed .

Reactions: kodiakwood2

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
dry rider if i can help it

i ride only in nice weather, but like a clean machine!! thanks Mags i will give your system a go!!! used the bags last week, they are good to have + i love that their being easily removed for maximum good looks!!!

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
i ride only in nice weather, but like a clean machine!! thanks Mags i will give your system a go!!! used the bags last week, they are good to have + i love that their being easily removed for maximum good looks!!!
Glad you like them brother , follow my engine cleaning plan and you wont be disappointed .... Your engine will look great !cheers

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I haven't cleaned my bike with water for a couple of years, but don't freak out like I did when the plugs got hot and boiled the water... I thought it was a compression leak LOL

·
Registered
22 Posts
I've used the s-100 engine brightener on my Harleys with very good results. I used it on the engine, and calipers.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I gave my primary side the S100 treatment before heading out yesterday.....looks great.

·
Premium Member
539 Posts
I used this on my HD with great results. With just regular washing, I have not had to do anything to my Vic engine.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Pig-Spit-PSO-Black-Original/dp/B000VJR3GO[/ame]

·
Premium Member
13,728 Posts
I used this on my HD with great results. With just regular washing, I have not had to do anything to my Vic engine.
http://www.amazon.com/Pig-Spit-PSO-Black-Original/dp/B000VJR3GO
Yep. Pig Spit works. Been using it a long time too.

Another thing I found that works is Back to Black.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=Back+to+Black[/ame]

One minor thing to think about is to get the dried on minerals off. To do that there are some good products like Simple Green but you can't leave it on for more than a minute or two and you need to wet the surface beforehand so the minerals soften up a bit. Kinda like soaking your dishes before washing them.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_9?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=mineral+deposit+remover&sprefix=mineral+d%2Cautomotive%2C250&rh=n%3A15684181%2Ck%3Amineral+deposit+remover[/ame]

So basically to do it right you need to remove the offending mineral spots first then follow up with something like s100, Pig Spit, or Back To Black to make it look like new again.

·
Premium Member
9,684 Posts
One minor thing to think about is to get the dried on minerals off. To do that there are some good products like Simple Green but you can't leave it on for more than a minute or two and you need to wet the surface beforehand so the minerals soften up a bit. Kinda like soaking your dishes before washing them.
This is where the Gunk Engine Brite shines ... Spray on and let soak for 5 - 7 minutes or so and rinse thoroughly with water . Engine will look great after this procedure , then s100 enhancer for the cherry on top !:grin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts