Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
According to a news story today, Canada, a major supplier of asbestos also imports millions of dollars of asbestos products every year and it's growing. Most of it in the form of brake shoes and linings. One of the arguments about it's continued use is the cost of alternatives.

Australia, Britain and a few other nations around the world have banned the importation of asbestos. For you members in those countries, what are your brake shoes made of? What is the price of a single set of pads for each auto tire? What is the cost of of a single set of your motorcycle pads?

Thanks

·
Registered
784 Posts
Info for the US, seems most are metalic and or a kevlar (aramid) type material, and some of the process of how it is put together.
http://ebc.wpengine.com/product/organic-motorcycle-brakes/

Pricing example.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=ebc+hh+sistring+brake+pads[/ame]

I find it hard to believe asbestos is still used in Canada or England, or anywhere else I would consider modern.
Learn something new every day.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kevlar and other "organic" brake pads are soft and not recommended for heavy vehicles. They wear faster and produce a lot more dust. I'm running kevlar at the moment because I get brake noise at times and it's a recommendation of the service department. It's been in a few times for the problem but they keep brushing it off, in my opinion. The dust is quite noticeable on the engine and fenders after every ride.

Asbestos is very dangerous and still contributes to many deaths every year including my father-in-law. It needs to be eliminated however effective and economical replacements are elusive.

FYI per your EPA, asbestos in the modern US is still used in things like -
Cement corrugated sheet
Cement flat sheet
Clothing
Pipeline wrap
Roofing felt
Vinyl floor tile
Cement shingle
Millboard
Cement pipe
Automatic transmission components
Clutch facings
Friction materials
Disk brake pads
Drum brake linings
Brake blocks
Gaskets
Non-roofing coatings
Roof coatings

So, again, you gents in Britain and Australia, are your pads all organic or metallic or???? and how's that working for you?

·
Premium Member
1,367 Posts
Canuck- I would have replied earlier man but honestly I have no fuking idea.....

Have to wait for MBX or someone else to chime in.......

·
Premium Member
8,967 Posts
Whatever it is it wears out disc rotors,
Ive gone to Lyndals excellent pads in the rear if my Vegas theyre USA made.
My regular drive car, old Benz, I throw whatevers cheap in.
My good car that sees the track and strip occasionally I use Bendix pads, dunno if theyre dolphin friendly or not.
I worked on brakes after leavjng school for a few years and we used to blow out the brakes with air!
Evidently the burnt dust is nowhere near as harmful as the raw fresh stuff.
Sorry I couldnt be more help but as long as they work well thats all I need to know.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts