Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone of you XC\XR owners run a 180/**70**-16 rear tire?
After all these years of changing tires I never realized how little space there is for the tire to the forward section of the swingarm.....Until @broggyr happened to mention it while we talked about what tires he should get :| Of course I had a already ordered the Bridgestone Exedra Max which is a 180/70-16. I have a 180/65-16 Cobra on the rear now and there is space(obviously) but its tighter than I knew in there....

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Nope, never seen a reason to change to a bigger tire.

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
A 180/65R16 is about 25.2" whereas a 180/70R16 is about 25.9". OEM 180/60 is about 24.5". If you have more than 3/8" clearance, it should fit (barely)...
Here's the URL for the tire comparator, should you choose to peruse... https://tiresize.com/comparison/

Attachments

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've run a 180/65/16 Dunlop American Elite Bias on my rear with enough clearance...

·
Super Moderator
6,371 Posts
He and I both have a 180/65/16 on now. The 70 tire is about 7/10" larger in diameter than the 60.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I could just about get my finger tips between the 65 tire and the swingarm curve....If a 70 does fit it's going to be to close for my comfort. I'm returning the Bridgestone's for a set of Shinko SE890 Journey radial tires. With the rear in the stock 180/60-16 size.

https://www.shinkotireusa.com/product/se890-journey-touring-radial-tire/211910
Unless they redesigned the Shinko SE tires the weight rating on them is to low. Also a 70 series will be taller and more narrow then a 60 or 65 series. So side clearance not an issue, but to the front and top would be.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Unless they redesigned the Shinko SE tires the weight rating on them is to low. Also a 70 series will be taller and more narrow then a 60 or 65 series. So side clearance not an issue, but to the front and top would be.
As a far as the weight rating goes, don't forget, its spread over the two tires and the XC's the weight distribution is only slightly bias toward the rear. Even with rider, passenger and full luggage, I'd still be well below the rating x2 tires, I'm not worried about it in the least.
After getting my fingers in between the 65 tire and the swingarm, I was 99% sure the 70 was not going to fit. I didn't want to go through the hassle of changing the rear tire, only to find it not fitting. So I ordered the Shinko's and sent the Bridgestones back yesterday.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
The weight rating is per tire/axle position. The fronts are 63 and rears are supposed to be 80. So the shinkos are a 77. s you can see in the chart thats like 80 lb. If you ride solo probably not an issue. 2 up with gear .............. I know anytime we leave on a trip I closer to the max than the other way.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The weight rating is per tire/axle position. The fronts are 63 and rears are supposed to be 80. So the shinkos are a 77. s you can see in the chart thats like 80 lb. If you ride solo probably not an issue. 2 up with gear .............. I know anytime we leave on a trip I closer to the max than the other way.
Between the two Shinko SE890's I believe the total max weight is ~1500lbs. Minus the 800lbs. for the XC, that leaves 700lbs. I weigh 225 and my wife is around 150(no one mention this :mad: )...that leaves 325lbs. for my wife's hair dryer and make-up and my pants...... No sweat, not even close...

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
Just put a 195/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D run flat car tire out back and be done with it. :grin

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
114 Posts
Just put a 195/55R16 Dunlop Winter Sport 3D run flat car tire out back and be done with it. :grin
Unfortunately those aren't sold in Oz, or I probably would have tried them. Not many snow tyres sold here. You can get Nokian tyres though, and I wonder if they are trying to tell us that they cater to Darksiders with this speed record: https://www.nokiantires.com/innovation/research-and-development/fastest-on-ice/the-new-world-record-for-the-fastest-car-on-two-wheel-2016/

·
Super Moderator
4,938 Posts
Funny.....

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,862 Posts
I can barely breathe :eek ...... not going to happen
Breathing is easy and peaceful with such good traction regardless of the weather and/or the terrain.

·
Registered
4,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Breathing is easy and peaceful with such good traction regardless of the weather and/or the terrain.
I feel the darkness encompassing me form all around....seems this is it..

1 - 18 of 18 Posts