Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After riding about 160 miles my 2014 cct with just over 2,300 miles on it, it broke down. I was pulling up to stopped traffic, pulled in the clutch and nothing. Was going from 3rd to 2nd gear at about 15 mph and was going slow enough the bike almost instantly started chugging. I was able to get it off the road under power but was a rough stop with this beast.

When I pull in the clutch it's moving below at the case so I know the cable isn't broken but there's no feel to it. After sitting for 2 hours waiting for a tow truck it's now sitting in my garage waiting for the dealership to open next week.

Anyone have any idea what might have happened? The bike was running great up to this point and totally took me by surprise...

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
Even though your bike is under warranty, here's hoping someone chimes in saying its a simple home repair, just remove the primary cover and....
Then your bike won't be amolderin' in the shop during riding season. C'mon fellas, help out this Vic owner in need.

·
Registered
427 Posts
How much is it moving at the bottom end? Try disconnecting the cable from the pivot at the bottom. Let spring out to where it wants to be, then try moving it by hand and see how it feels. You should not be able to move it inwards my much if at all. Put it back together and readjust the clutch. PAy attention to the solid metal bend...make sure it is not contributing to the problem

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
I know the OP and he tells me there is no resistance on the clutch lever. Its as if something inside the primary housing has come loose. I tried to get a good view of what's going on in there by looking at the service manual, but the image that came up was too small. Anyone have an idea of what happened?

·
Premium Member
13,624 Posts
If there is no resistance or spring tension at all I don't know what it might be but if there is then the clutch was adjusted too tight. If this is the case the clutch has been slipping and wearing for the time is was adjusted this way and wore out. It will just need new clutch plates to fix. I'd look into the Barnett plates if this is the case and see if Lloydz has them in stock. http://www.lloydz.com/store/item_view.asp?estore_itemid=1000035

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How much is it moving at the bottom end? Try disconnecting the cable from the pivot at the bottom. Let spring out to where it wants to be, then try moving it by hand and see how it feels. You should not be able to move it inwards my much if at all. Put it back together and readjust the clutch. PAy attention to the solid metal bend...make sure it is not contributing to the problem
It moves about 1/4". Tried what you suggested and nothing. This has me baffled. I've never had anything like this happen before. It will be interesting to see what going on once they remove the side cover...

·
Registered
427 Posts
On other bikes I have had the shaft that the clutch pivot is attached to has gear teeth on it inside the case. These are used to work the clutch mechanism in and out. Something sheared or out of alignent inside I would guess....:confused:

·
Registered
427 Posts
Tighten the f*ck outta the cable and see if you can still pull it?? Just puttin out the stuff I would try...

·
Registered
427 Posts
HEy VT1602...I've been to Hillsboro lots of time over the years....Intel...lol

·
Registered
251 Posts
I just got mine back after a week of sitting in shop with a tranny problem, I couldn't shift into first or second or downshift, third thru sixth were ok, ended being a spring inside that was defective had no tension... Just putting it out ther

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
On other bikes I have had the shaft that the clutch pivot is attached to has gear teeth on it inside the case. These are used to work the clutch mechanism in and out. Something sheared or out of alignent inside I would guess....:confused:
As I sat there waiting for the tow truck and was trying to remember if I heard any metallic sounds but it all happened so fast all I could think about was getting the bike out of traffic. I won't be able to get it to the dealership until the end of the week so I'll be wondering until then.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just got mine back after a week of sitting in shop with a tranny problem, I couldn't shift into first or second or downshift, third thru sixth were ok, ended being a spring inside that was defective had no tension... Just putting it out ther
Yeah, the clutch has no tension on it. It just has me confused because the bike had been a dream to ride and performed so good all day...

·
Premium Member
562 Posts
Are you comfortable removing the primary cover and looking inside to see if there is anything obvious? It would not impact your warranty at all to take a look and you could find something that you're able to take care of on your own...saving dealership down time.

·
13,177 Posts
2014 Take it to dealer let him fix it thats why you have warrenty. If he has to order parts ask him to do it for rider down. Vic will ship parts quicker

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Are you comfortable removing the primary cover and looking inside to see if there is anything obvious? It would not impact your warranty at all to take a look and you could find something that you're able to take care of on your own...saving dealership down time.
Time is against me because I'm going out of town for business in about an hour. I think I'll just let the dealership do all the work...

·
Registered
427 Posts
Let us know what it turns out to be....Add to the collective knowledge!

·
Registered
12,296 Posts
V-Twin, give Brent a call at S-K Tuesday to give him a heads up that your bike is coming in on a wrecker, so you can get the biker down priority.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Put the wrong oil in it and smoked the clutch is one thought
I used T6 at my 500 mile oil change. I had an H-D clutch go out on me back in the 90's and it started slipping before it completely went. The bike was running great until all of a sudden something broke. It's almost like a spring or something snapped...

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
V-Twin, give Brent a call at S-K Tuesday to give him a heads up that your bike is coming in on a wrecker, so you can get the biker down priority.
I'm going to try and call him Wednesday. Then get the bike down there when I get back into town on Thursday...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts