Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am very upset at wat happened today with my clutch cable.I was near my house thank god the cable broke at the lever end.bike stalled i was very happy i didnt fall down (a bit scary for a new rider like myself).I cant believe that happened i only have 4500 miles on my kingpin.Is this a common problem?Has anyone got hurt when the cable broke?Ineed some info on this ,i am a bit puzzeled with what happened.I am always bragging about my vic and then this happens.Can i fix it myself and were and what cable should i get next? Is there a stronger cable i can buy rather than factory? I am a bit dissapointed with wat happened i spent alot of money on this bike and was not expecting a cable to break that soon.:(:(:(:(:(

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,704 Posts
I am very upset at wat happened today with my clutch cable.I was near my house thank god the cable broke at the lever end.bike stalled i was very happy i didnt fall down (a bit scary for a new rider like myself).I cant believe that happened i only have 4500 miles on my kingpin.Is this a common problem?Has anyone got hurt when the cable broke?Ineed some info on this ,i am a bit puzzeled with what happened.I am always bragging about my vic and then this happens.Can i fix it myself and were and what cable should i get next? Is there a stronger cable i can buy rather than factory? I am a bit dissapointed with wat happened i spent alot of money on this bike and was not expecting a cable to break that soon.:(:(:(:(:(
It's always good to put your location in your avatar/profile area and year/model of bike in your signature.

Saves a bunch of questions later....

All I know is you have a KP with a broken cable. Did you lube it regularly at the ends? Does the bike have an ez-clutch?

It's a common problem with the older Vic's. The clutch lever starts digging into the cable end and soon it stops turning so when the clutch is pulled the wire cable gets bent back and forth over and over until it breaks.

Some folks go 10's of thousands of miles on one clutch cable and others only go 4 or 5k miles before it breaks.

It's most likely operator error; meaning lack of maintenance and not the fault of the cable per se. On the later models a plastic/teflon piece is on both cable ends to help them last longer but they still need lubing regularly.

It's not like a car. Close and meticulous maintenance is a must on all bikes mate.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Noemtz,
Do you know if the cable for the 2010 XC would be for the 2011 also?
I do believe the controls did not change from 2010 to 2011 on the XC.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Shooter I've read a few posts about bad shift cables. Just wondering if it felt stiff or different for a while before this happened?
I've read the manual about lubing the ends and see some posts about guys pulling them off and trying to lube the whole inside of the cable. I see Nometz mentions keeping a spare hidden on his cycle. I was surprised that there is no real tool box on these cycles. Good luck get er replaced and get back on the road.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
not cheap!!!

I just called a victory dealer in my area and the price is $106.Wow thats an expensive cable!!!! Hopefully this one is going to last a bit longer.Going to buy grease also and lube it up good.I hope its easy to install.Any help with that would be great! Thanks!:crzy::crzy::crzy:

·
Registered
161 Posts
You might try a russell cable as I have used these on my HD with great results. Quality cables and they maybe make them for Vics too.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
Barnett break as well. Sav-ur-ride will work in Barnett cable housing as well.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
just installed clutch cable

I just finished installing the clutch cable.Wow that was a project! I was at M.O.M.S south in mass the victory dealer the tech told me to make life easier remove the gas tank.He was right with the gas tank on it would have been hell to pull the cable out.I was nervous not to scratch the tank and it went pretty smooth.But you have to take your time and have some mechanical ability if not you will be pulling your hair.I did buy moly grease to put at both ends of cable looks like it should be good for a while.The new cable i bought seems to be better and stronger at the ends.Will see if that is true with time.I just cant believe the prices victory is getting for parts they are getting like HD prices.$106 for cable -$65 oil change kit and forget trying to buy a shirt!!! mechanics shirt $69.99 are you kidding me.I wont be wearing any vic clothing thats for sure.thumb upthumb upthumb up

·
Registered
75 Posts
I agree with Shooter. If you are not maintaining the bike properly, it will let you down. 4500 miles on the bike sounds too soon. I have seen threads on other sites that mention this problem as well. I will have to be extra careful and double check the movement of my cable.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
make sure you lube the ends up good. The vic mechanic said that is usally the #1 problem with the cable end the ball does not move back and fourth thus breaking the cable.

·
Premium Member
978 Posts
Barnett break as well. Sav-ur-ride will work in Barnett cable housing as well.
I totally agree. I am on my second Barnett and it is starting to frey where the cable comes out of the casing down by the engine. My first one broke at the handle, my second(which happened to be a barnett) lasted about 7 to 8000 miles and broke at the lever down at the clutch lever. Both times the barrel snapped off, just at opposite ends.
After the first one breaking, I got the sav-ur-ride. 20 minutes and I was back on the road. I still carry the same sav-ur-ride in the side bag.

·
Premium Member
1,603 Posts
I totally agree. I am on my second Barnett and it is starting to frey where the cable comes out of the casing down by the engine. My first one broke at the handle, my second(which happened to be a barnett) lasted about 7 to 8000 miles and broke at the lever down at the clutch lever. Both times the barrel snapped off, just at opposite ends.
After the first one breaking, I got the sav-ur-ride. 20 minutes and I was back on the road. I still carry the same sav-ur-ride in the side bag.
thumb upthumb upthumb upthumb up

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shooter,

The clutch cable of my 2000 V92 (with over 11k miles on it) finally broke over July 4th weekend. The cable has never been lubed, so it was definitely operator error.

Anyways, the cable from the dealer is incredibly high. They quoted $116 for mine. I took this as a sign to upgrade, so I checked out Barnett's website. I ended up getting a cable that has stainless steel braided outer for about $70. It looks much better than my old black line. I was also able to replace it while on the side of the highway.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Can anyone tell me what I can use to lube the cable and how to properly do it? The manual calls for Victory Moly lube. Is there an alternative that I can pick up at an auto parts store?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I bouhgt moly grease at NAPA parts store for $5.The vic tech told me thats all you need and only lube the ends not the cable itself.The cable already has an outer protective shell on it,by greasing it it will damage that coating (told by vic mechanic).

1 - 20 of 40 Posts