Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke the radio antenna today while placing a cover on the bike. I merely pushed the antenna forward and hooked it under the driver's backrest. The antenna mast did not flex and broke at the half way point. I now understand one should not attempt to bend the antenna.

The bike is a month old, with less than 1K miles. I always cover my bike while at work. I have done it with my Wing for the last few years with no issue. The XC antenna is very brittle, and I am afraid that it will brake again if I replace it with the OEM antenna. Any suggestion on a superior after market antenna that will fit the existing mount? :confused:

Your assistance is appreciated.

JC

·
Registered
381 Posts
Look down.... There's options just below your post.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I broke the radio antenna today while placing a cover on the bike. I merely pushed the antenna forward and hooked it under the driver's backrest. The antenna mast did not flex and broke at the half way point. I now understand one should not attempt to bend the antenna.

The bike is a month old, with less than 1K miles. I always cover my bike while at work. I have done it with my Wing for the last few years with no issue. The XC antenna is very brittle, and I am afraid that it will brake again if I replace it with the OEM antenna. Any suggestion on a superior after market antenna that will fit the existing mount? :confused:

Your assistance is appreciated.

JC
There is a thread called "Short Antenna for X/C" on page 8 of this forum that might help you out. But you will have to do a very minor modification to get the mast to fit the Stock mount. The modification should give you several choices of After Market Antennas at several Auto Stores thumb up

·
13,043 Posts
auto store some carry a short plastic one that bends and pull in station very well

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lost the antenna on mine sometime over the last couple of weeks. I went to Advance Auto and got one of thier universal replacement antennas. I went cheap and got a 13" rubber coated, flexible antenna for $8. It comes with various screw adapters and I found the one that worked. I trimmed about an inch off of the plastic base cover that came with the replacement antenna just to make it look good.

The results are great and signal reception is only a little worse than the original antenna. More importantly, the antenna does not stick out much from the back and won't interfere with a cover. Advance Auto did have a longer antenna for about $14 that would probably get better reception.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I got an antenna at the local HD shop (look for the clothing store that has a few bikes and you will know you are at the right place :D). It has a spring on the bottom and flexes well. I had to cut the head off a metric bolt to make a threaded rod and thread it on. My radio reception improved dramatically.

·
Registered
16 Posts
file or sand down the tip of the antenae still on the bike. pull the rubber tip off the broken piece and glue/silicon it on the filed down "shortened" antenae on the bike. check your reception. if it works to your satisfaction, cost nothing.
i cut my original down to about 11". works fine for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts