Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Clear sunny day, I pull up to a red light at an intersection, the light turns green. I pull out into the intersection and a jeep comes flying toward me, running the red light. He missed me by inches.

Reminder to self. Before entering an intersection on a green light, look for an idiot running the red.:eek:frown

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
That's SOP (standard operating procedure) for that old fart. Light turns green, swivel head, swivel eyes, then go. Glad it was just a lesson learned and no more.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Always clear a fresh green. The first light I come to in my commute usually has 3-5 red light runners. I always wait and make sure traffic is stopping.

Glad you came away shiny side up.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Always clear a fresh green. The first light I come to in my commute usually has 3-5 red light runners. I always wait and make sure traffic is stopping.
Bet you wish you were in on duty.... ;)
@BadBoyZ my wife taught me her rule of waiting 3 seconds after the light turns green if you're going to be first going through an intersection. Glad you got out of this one unharmed and not dead.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Two things I remind myself of every time I throw my leg over....I am INVISIBLE and Caution on Green's......mental note every single time!!

Ride Safe,

Rob

·
Super Moderator
6,372 Posts
I use the Boston 2 count if I'm not first. 1 the light changes 2 BEEEEEEEEEP
Gotta watch out for those Massachusetts Left Turns though >.<

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's the closest I've come to buying the farm. However, had I been in a car I think I'd be in the hospital, because the guy was doing about 40mph. Thought about chasing him down and dragging his sorry ass outta that jeep for a dirt bath, but in the end, just a reminder to never get too comfortable on the road.

·
Registered
12,219 Posts
my wife taught me her rule of waiting 3 seconds after the light turns green if you're going to be first going through an intersection.
Even when I'm not first, I count to 3 after the car ahead pulls away. It it has to hit the brakes, for some reason, I have a safety cushion.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Glad you came away shiny side up.
I live in Houston. It's not just the first light in your commute.

Houston metro area could generate trillions in revenue if they'd just hire new cops and plant them at intersections and actually hand out tickets.

They get more brazen by the day.

·
13,003 Posts
To many carie gun just let him go.
Light turns green wait 3 seconds then go

·
Registered
557 Posts
Only one way to ride, continually assess all vehicles (and pedestrians) within the range of potential contact - determine the worst thing they could possibly do in relation to you -

and plan for it cuz it's most likely what they're going to do!

·
Registered
483 Posts
Do they use red light/speed on green cameras in your area? As much as I dislike photo radar, those do keep alot of red light infractions down.
I hate those cameras. We had them a short while but they quickly made people be even more dumb and stop two car lengths from the stop line.

I always know I'm in an area with cameras because of that.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Actually, they don't need cops. There are red-light cameras and I wish ever jerk who runs a red light would get their license suspended for a year.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
blocker

At an intersection if you have a car left of you at a light and you both take off(same direction) from the light try to use the car as a blocker for cars crossing from the left. Sometimes it's a good thing not to beat everybody from the light. Let the car on the left take the hit if somebody runs the light, same if your in the left lane you can use that car on your right, if somebody runs it coming from the right side of intersection. Also try not to sit in the middle of the lane at a light besides oil and antifreeze in the center if there is a car in front of you sometimes you can squeeze next to the car in front of you if somebody does not stop behind you in time, again let the car take the hit. Just some ideas that have seem to let this once young buck turn into an old buck(fart). Be safe out there.

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Visit Miami sometime. Traffic light are merely a suggestion. I guess in the islands they dont have traffic lights.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
Dude! Glad you did not get taken out. If that had been me, I would have to immediately pull over and clean my britches. :grin

Lot's of great replies here. Seriously, though. Whom among us has never done what you did today? Take off with out that delay? I know I try to make it a point to wait a few seconds, or, at the very least, take a quick look, left-and-right, as I roll on the throttle. Unfortunately, there are times I have not. :frown

Definitely something I will be more cognizant of after reading your post

Ya'll take care.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I didn't rush through the intersection, just took off like normal. Never saw this guy coming through the red until he flew past my front wheel. We're all vulnerable to idiots. Car or bike, with texters and outright maniacs out there on the road, you just can't let your guard down.:|:|

1 - 20 of 27 Posts