Victory Motorcycle Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just picked up my 2013CC and would like to upgrade the sound without dropping a ton of cash right now. Can you guys point me to some decent speakers & amp that won't break the bank? Got alot of things to buy before spring.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Lots of options. This is just a cheap set up in my opinion. Rockford PBR 300X2 or Soundstream Stealth amp both reasonable. Pioneer TSD1602R or Ifinity Kappa 60.11 speakers

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
I am on my phone or I would point you in the right direction. There is a whole thread on this discussion. I have Alpine SPR 50s in the front and some Polk Audios in the rear. I do not have an amp. My stereo is plenty loud and turns heads. If you are curious as to which Polk Audio speakers I have, check out my garage. Heck, I may even have it in my signature. They are marine grade.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
just picked up my 2013CC and would like to upgrade the sound without dropping a ton of cash right now. Can you guys point me to some decent speakers & amp that won't break the bank? Got alot of things to buy before spring.
Here is my cheap really nice sounding solution.

Speakers Alpine SPS-510 - Around $50
Amp Alpine KTP-445U - Around $110

You could spend a little more for speakers if you like. I replaced all 4 speakers, I have an xct, with the 510's

The amp is what really makes the difference. I really like the Alpine amp. Small, sounds great, no heat issues.

Is this the best sounding setup? I know its not. But is it the best sounding upgrade for only $160. I think it is.

Big difference over stock without spending a ton of money.

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I'm not the audiophile some of you are and I have no intention of building my stereo system. But after reading what all of you have done or are doing, as well as getting the blow by blow updates from @broggyr on his build, I started secretly getting interested and looking at audio components. I realized decent upgrades could be had for not too much dough and could easily do a "budget upgrade". I was initially looking into an amp/speaker setup but I have no problem with the current volume levels or clarity with tunes playing off my iPod, I ultimately came to the conclusion all I really want was better speakers......Today, I ordered a set of Polk Audio DB521 5.25"Coaxials these are marine grade and should drop right in for my big stereo upgrade....lol

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
but I have no problem with the current volume levels or clarity with tunes playing off my iPod
Now, I'm no expert, but if you didn't have any issues with quality or volume, ... :D :D :D

Reactions: MaddogUSMC

·
Premium Member
1,906 Posts
I'm not the audiophile some of you are and I have no intention of building my stereo system. But after reading what all of you have done or are doing, as well as getting the blow by blow updates from @broggyr on his build, I started secretly getting interested and looking at audio components. I realized decent upgrades could be had for not too much dough and could easily do a "budget upgrade". I was initially looking into an amp/speaker setup but I have no problem with the current volume levels or clarity with tunes playing off my iPod, I ultimately came to the conclusion all I really want was better speakers......Today, I ordered a set of Polk Audio DB521 5.25"Coaxials these are marine grade and should drop right in for my big stereo upgrade....lol
I believe I had those in my trunk. It is in my signature. If so, you won't be disappointed!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Reactions: broggyr

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I just bought a set of DB522 for the front. The DB521's look like they are well-suited for the lower wattage of the OEM system; they are rated between 5-45 watts RMS. I previously bought the Infinity REF-5002ix, and that was before I bought the amp - now those are being overdriven. The DB522 are rated at 100 watts RMS. We'll see in a few days...

·
Registered
348 Posts
The important number to look for in speakers is not so much the wattage but the efficiency (db). The higher the number ideally above 88db the less power they need to get loud.

So the Polk DB521 have a sensitivity of 93 dB

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
The important number to look for in speakers is not so much the wattage but the efficiency (db). The higher the number ideally above 88db the less power they need to get loud.
Agreed. The REF-5002ix has a sensitivity of 92db (1-watt 1 meter) and the DB522 have a 91 db sensitivity. The DB521's are 93db

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
and at a 93db sensitivity ...I still have wait about a month to hear them .... :|

Reactions: broggyr

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
I hope the DB521's sound as good as they are packaged.....jeez, its so well put together in there I don't even want to open them..... LOL

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
I hope the DB521's sound as good as they are packaged.....jeez, its so well put together in there I don't even want to open them..... LOL

What am I missing installing these? The screws when tight, aren't holding the speaker, as it will still move. Did you use washers or what?

Are you pondering what I'm pondering?

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
What am I missing installing these? The screws when tight, aren't holding the speaker, as it will still move. Did you use washers or what?

Actually I don't have all the screws fully in, I ordered a set of ball head metric hex keys to finish the job. I'll tighten things up before I start riding this year.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Actually I don't have all the screws fully in, I ordered a set of ball head metric hex keys to finish the job. I'll tighten things up before I start riding this year.

Well....that's no help, lol.
@broggyr did you have these issues?

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
My screws were a little tight but I was able to screw them down fully. Is your speaker sitting flush against the mount?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
My screws were a little tight but I was able to screw them down fully. Is your speaker sitting flush against the mount?

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Yes, but they aren't tight to it. Screws will not tighten any more. They are "snug", but I can move them pretty easily.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
Someone (I forgot whom) said that they had the threaded inserts in the speakers mounts actually turning in the mount. Perhaps yours are spinning?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: MaddogUSMC

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Someone (I forgot whom) said that they had the threaded inserts in the speakers mounts actually turning in the mount. Perhaps yours are spinning?

No. My screws are tight, no turning. It's like they can't go in any far enough to hold the speaker tight.

I'll try moving the speakers around, maybe I just have them slightly off the sweet spot.

·
Super Moderator
6,383 Posts
I sure hope they didn't cross thread. Did you taker of the inner fairing? If not, it's VERY ready to cross thread those screws...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts